NCAA eyes early signing period for Football. | Syracusefan.com

NCAA eyes early signing period for Football.

This would be huge change, though I’m not sure how it would effect a school like Syracuse.

Interesting to see the SEC coaches are the ones predominately not in favor of it.

This would be huge change, though I’m not sure how it would effect a school like Syracuse.

Interesting to see the SEC coaches are the ones predominately not in favor of it.
It would help from the perspective of preventing schools with bigger names than SU from taking Syracuse verbals but it would also inhibit Syracuse from taking verbals from schools further yet down the pecking order. We probably have stolen more players than we have had stolen in recent years, so overall, one might think this would be bad for the program.

However, it is my guess is that relatively unheralded prospects with big time potential (SU's bread and butter recently) will be less likely to verbal early to 2nd tier schools like the MAC, AAC and CUSA, and more likely to verbal to schools in the top 25-70 range like Syracuse.

So overall, I think it helps schools in that 25-70 range, and hurts everyone else.
Should put more of a premium on the ability of staff's to evaluate talent early and less on the ability of a program to dazzle recruits with a late visit to a campus filled with top facilities and hot co-eds.

Yeah I'm trying to guess an early signing date and I'm thinking it would be August 1st. This is after the camp period but before either hs/college season kicks off. you cant have coaches recruiting in the middle of preseason camp. We've historically not had a lot of commitments by then. However that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. I'm personally in favor it.

A lot of selector schools will have to select more carefully leaving other kids on the table. Schools that load up with 10-12 kids in August are limited the rest of the year. It'll benefit everybody.

We would have to make some drastic changes to our recruiting philosophy if this were to happen. Hopefully there would be a couple year notice before the rule takes place of we could end up SOL right out of the bat.

We would have to make some drastic changes to our recruiting philosophy if this were to happen. Hopefully there would be a couple year notice before the rule takes place of we could end up SOL right out of the bat.

Why? I don't quite understand why we would need a drastic change in philosophy compared to other schools? Or why we would be SOL

Why? I don't quite understand why we would need a drastic change in philosophy compared to other schools? Or why we would be SOL

This staff has been recruiting on a class by class basis. They rarely send out early offers. Look at the top players from the region in the class of 2015 they either received an offer after, or our first contact came well after all the other programs in the region.[/quote]

They rarely send out early offers.
[/quote]

i think the sample size is fairly small to judge how these guys do or will do things. You're talking 1 year. This is the first full recruiting season. I'd expect them to be a little ahead of the game next year.

Early signing would be great. The blue blood schools would have to be highly selective, they wouldnt dangle the carrots around the tier II guys which drag the process on looking for the bigger and better offer. Early signing period means the door gets shut on them early and they move on.

Early signing would be great. The blue blood schools would have to be highly selective, they wouldnt dangle the carrots around the tier II guys which drag the process on looking for the bigger and better offer. Early signing period means the door gets shut on them early and they move on.

I definitely think an early signing period could be beneficial to schools like Syracuse. imo some adjustments would need to be made to our strategy (even Eric White said our formula is predicated on smart, patient scouting), but we have shown that we are solid at identifying talent, and securing them once we get them on campus. I think you would see our chances of landing more 4 star recruits increase. It would also add a lot more stress on the recruits. With the current format they can always commit to a "safe" school and then wait for a factory school to offer. In the proposed changes the kids will really be rolling the dice passing up offers waiting for the big boys to come in. You may see a lot more kids being left out without a place to go.

my thinking exactly.

Anom - you have to consider that Eric White might not actually believe what he said. IMHO, he's making a comment defending what comes off as criticism, and it's not just the reporters question, he's probably reading the fan criticism on this board. So of course he's going to defend what they're doing. To me, they know the drill, they want to get ahead just like everybody else but it takes some time to get in that groove. Like I said above, I fully expect them to be getting on juniors by November/December next year. If they don't I'll eat the crow.

Anom - you have to consider that Eric White might not actually believe what he said. IMHO, he's making a comment defending what comes off as criticism, and it's not just the reporters question, he's probably reading the fan criticism on this board. So of course he's going to defend what they're doing. To me, they know the drill, they want to get ahead just like everybody else but it takes some time to get in that groove. Like I said above, I fully expect them to be getting on juniors by November/December next year. If they don't I'll eat the crow.

Ya i wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Funny i just suggested that same thing to a poster in PM. This very well could be their plan, which would actually work well since the IPF will be complete. Our facilities would then be to a point where they were an asset we could show off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom