NCAA forgot to clear Roberson please help remind them | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA forgot to clear Roberson please help remind them

is that applicable here though? I will not try to say I know the NCAA's approval process. however, based on the information provided so far it seems as though there were some things left to do to ensure he was eligible. To use an example to make my point- when underwriting a loan you get information in pieces and often have the applicant do some additional things to qualify be it pay off some debt etc. The work to underwrite the loan is 95% complete pending that final piece. You get that final piece and quickly turn around an answer. Are NCAA caseworkers waiting to evaluate after they have everything?

of course no one can answer that but it drives at the point of what sense does it make for something to be pushed out to the very end when its just finishing up the application so to speak. Outside of this- maybe a decision has been rendered and it just isn't public etc. that would make more sense. i can only wish the best for tyler if he is deemed ineligible.

Final thought- if the website is the only means to communicate approval or denial to something kids are banking on to make key life decisions that is really disappointing.

My only point is the last data point we have is that he was not eligible and needed to take at least 2 summer school courses to raise his GPA to a level that with his SAT score would make him eligible on the sliding scale. We don't know how he did on those courses. Maybe he did well enough, maybe he didn't. No idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The article was written on the 16th and he finished course work on the 25th.
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2013/07/syracuse_recruit_tyler_roberso_3.html but the story is changed to status uncertain for Canadian tour.
"It remains to be seen if Roberson will be able to join the Syracuse basketball team on its four-game tour of Canada in August. Syracuse is playing two games in Montreal on Aug. 21-22 and two in Ottawa on Aug. 23-24. The NCAA must approve"
Very strange, sounds pretty wishy washy to me. All of a sudden the NCAA must approve?

Yes the NCAA has to approve it. Every HS athlete has to go through the clearinghouse who determines if the gpa and sat are high enough and that the courses taken meet certain standards and core course requirements are met.

Yes the NCAA has to approve it. Every athlete has to go through the clearinghouse who determines if the gpa and sat are high enough and that the courses taken meet certain standards and core course requirements are met.

I understand that. But what changed from the 16th to the 25th? The article's state different things.

I understand that. But what changed from the 16th to the 25th? The article's state different things.

The only thing that changed was one article was before the classes ended the other was after.

Yes the NCAA has to approve it. Every HS athlete has to go through the clearinghouse who determines if the gpa and sat are high enough and that the courses taken meet certain standards and core course requirements are met.

My only confusion is wouldn't everyone know ahead of time the exact grades he would need to be eligible {pure math} so wouldn't it be a quick decision after the classes ended whether the grades he earned were good enough? Wouldn't Roberson himself, the NCAA know the very day he got the grades whether he was eligible or not? Only way I could think it wasn't clear is if the validity of the classes themselves were in question or if the bureaucratic procedure or deadlines to submit the grades weren't followed. I admit I don't know the process but something doesn't seem to add up to take this long to make a decision.

and there is your problem. If it was just a matter of doing math to recalculate his score for purposes of meeting mandated minimums it would surely be an easy thing to do. On the other hand if he took summer courses in advanced remedial basket weaving offered through the an online cyber charter school maybe they are having trouble determining whether the courses meet the standards necessary to impact his score favorably.

Expecting decision to be announced this morning. No way the NCAA will want to work this afternoon, and they definitely aren't working Monday.

Expecting decision to be announced this morning. No way the NCAA will want to work this afternoon, and they definitely aren't working Monday.
Is this assuming the NCAA knows or cares when SU's deadlines are? Because I think neither is likely to be the case.

I know all schools must feel the NCAA is against them . . . . .but in reality they kinda are. I think they are getting desperet what will they do wothout all that money. I can't wait for there to be 4-5 power conferecnes that just simply give the NCAA the fingure.

Friday before a holiday weekend and STILL waiting on the NCAA monkeys. I haven't gotten a damn thing done today.

I really hope it works out for him, his grades brought his average up enough, and that he sues NCAA for damages if he could have been cleared all the while.

The next question is, with a free scholly, does the staff go after one more for '14 or do they save it for '15 and make it a super-mega-awesome class.

bump

I was patient until today.
Can't remember the last time I had a feeling of hate towards someone. Its been a Lonnnng Lonnnng Time, and it feels right.
Im sure alot of people feel this way right now.

bump

I was patient until today.
Can't remember the last time I had a feeling of hate towards someone. Its been a Lonnnng Lonnnng Time, and it feels right.
Im sure alot of people feel this way right now.

Who do you hate?

I am not saying its even their fault but The NCAA.

They are the only ones who can get tyler cleared. Tyler turned in all his work theres nothing more he can do. Heck if you got to clear him to play basketball without taking classes to Dec/Jan, or until you find him inelgible. It sounded like he was given a summer classes deadline and made it.

Any chance he has to sit out to Dec/Jan but can join the team then?
I know Donte Exum a 6'5 pg in the mold of mcw from Australia was given that option, but opted not to go to college this year.

Yay or nay, they can at least give him that if he processed his clearance paperwork within any deadline they might have had.

I agree with this. He may not be entitled to be cleared, but he is at least entitled to a timely thumbs up / thumbs down assuming he met whatever deadlines they maintain for submission.

My only confusion is wouldn't everyone know ahead of time the exact grades he would need to be eligible {pure math} so wouldn't it be a quick decision after the classes ended whether the grades he earned were good enough? Wouldn't Roberson himself, the NCAA know the very day he got the grades whether he was eligible or not? Only way I could think it wasn't clear is if the validity of the classes themselves were in question or if the bureaucratic procedure or deadlines to submit the grades weren't followed. I admit I don't know the process but something doesn't seem to add up to take this long to make a decision.

A few things have to happen:

1. He needs to send in his official final transcript.
2. He needs to send in transcripts from any other schools that he attended and plans to use courses from.
3. All those courses need to already be approved by the Clearinghouse. If they aren't, you can add a lot more time to the process.
4. Often, school A sends school B's transcript, and it's unofficial. They will then need to get an official transcript from the other school.
5. Sometimes when kids transfer duplicate courses are taken and the student thinks they get credit for both.

Example: World History is an approved course at School A. History of the World is an approved course at School B. If the University and the student were using both of those in their evaluations of the student's eligibility, but the NCAA comes along and does a course comparison and determines they overlap - well, those credits are gone, and if they were both high grades, his total average could take a serious hit from what everyone (student, high school, Syracuse) thought they were going to get going in.

6. He could be just short, not cleared, and now a waiver is in play (if they still do those).

I know I wrote about some of this in the other thread - but tons of happens behind the scenes that can really lengthen the process. If you attend some school that has never had many kids go through the process the school is often a HUGE obstacle. Although typically with higher profile athletes it isn't the case, and the University will hold their hands throughout the process as well so someone like Roberson would usually be okay in that area. Still, it can be problematic if they keep sending in unofficial documents, or trying to send another schools unofficial docs.

Other issues:
ACT/SAT flags a score - not much you can do if that happens. No rhyme or reason as to why scores are flagged sometimes either.

Changing course names. If his high school changed their Spanish 1 class in 2012 to Espanol 1 - course review can come into play and they may need a syllabus/course description. Sometimes the schools start sending them for the old course or don't have them for the new course title yet. Getting those from certain schools can take a bit. This happened in NYS a lot because they changed up their names for Math classes so much. 'Course I' becomes 'Algebra' then changes to 'Course 1' then, etc.....ridiculous, yes, but that's the NCAA!

School two converted his grades to their scale without weighting properly, everyone used the wrong scale (parents/school/student) and his GPA is lower than expected. (An 85 at Frosh school was a B-, at school two they use the 85, but on their scale that's a B) Again, less likely with bigger schools/high profile athletes.