NCAA investigating Michigan football for alleged sign-stealing | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA investigating Michigan football for alleged sign-stealing

That actually never happened. The Boston Herald reporter who published that story years ago ended up recanting it because his source was wrong. Not that anyone cared, the mob had already formed.

Yeah I don't care, just repeating what I heard :)

I think there’s more to it here because opposing coaches are speaking up. Dude bought 4 tickets to Ohio St Penn st. Two on each side - never showed up this weekend.

Why don't they just install radios in a few helmets to the QB's and members of the defense on the field that call plays like the NFL does. Certainly all Power 5 teams have enough money for this, except maybe Rutgers.

I remember years back and watching the Miami Hurricane staff in the booth having binoculars and looking at the SU bench. Thought to myself, hmmm...
Maybe this was during the Marcy years?

Why don't they just install radios in a few helmets to the QB's and members of the defense on the field that call plays like the NFL does. Certainly all Power 5 teams have enough money for this, except maybe Rutgers.
I bet we will see this now. It’s silly they’ve refused till now.

Also fully believe Venables does this too. Sit near the visitor bench and he was the most paranoid of any assistant coach in terms of covering up plays / blocking things. We joked with him / players that we couldn’t relay anything because we didn’t have any functioning wireless service…but I suspect he was more concerned we were fake fans videotaping for future opponents. Probably more common than folks realize. Highly doubt Michigan is alone in doing this. They’re just stupid to get caught.

I don't get why this is a big deal. It's a big nothing burger for me.

The issue isn’t so much stealing signs, it’s attending the games in person which is clearly not allowed

You’re also not allowed to deliberately film the sidelines to try and prevent sign stealing. It sounds that this was done and not just used pure game film.

Had they used pure fame film to figure out the plays etc, that is allowed and is common.

It’s the deliberate, malicious acts of sideline taping and sending people to the games, in person, to do sideline taping that is the issue.

While many might not feel it’s a big deal, it actually is.

This gives Michigan a distinct advantage over other schools. If someone was doing this to us, we would be very upset and very up in arms.

The ultimate solution is to go to radio communications

The issue isn’t so much stealing signs, it’s attending the games in person which is clearly not allowed

You’re also not allowed to deliberately film the sidelines to try and prevent sign stealing. It sounds that this was done and not just used pure game film.

Had they used pure fame film to figure out the plays etc, that is allowed and is common.

It’s the deliberate, malicious acts of sideline taping and sending people to the games, in person, to do sideline taping that is the issue.

This gives Michigan a distinct advantage over other schools. If someone was doing this to us, we would be very upset and very up in arms.

Ehhhh. We live in the era of 4K where TV cameras can pick up coaches call sheets on the sideline. I think it borderlines on unethical, but football has always been about finding any edge possible. I know the media is going to make a huge deal of this, but personally I’m not outraged.

I don't really see anything malicious about it, it's basic scouting imo.

Ehhhh. We live in the era of 4K where TV cameras can pick up coaches call sheets on the sideline. I think it borderlines on unethical, but football has always been about finding any edge possible. I know the media is going to make a huge deal of this, but personally I’m not outraged.
Yep, as the saying goes “if you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying!“

the result will be the old UNC fake curriculum investigation line that "the NCAA was so upset with UNC (UM here) that they gave Syracuse another six months of probation!"
I recall Jerry Tarkanian of UNLV once said "the NCAA is so mad with Kentucky (or UCLA ?) that they will give Cleveland State another year of probation". It seems like they are scared of the "name teams". Many will tell tell you PSU really deserved a "death penalty" for that Jerry Sandusky business but the NCAA would tell you it's not "in our wheelhouse".

I don't really see anything malicious about it, it's basic scouting imo.

Right but if your videotaping just the sidelines…

I mean theoretically you could be using A.I. to figure out what the signals are etc.

Once again, it’s not scouting, if it is shown that they were deliberately recording the sidelines and not the field, then that’s a totally different story.

Basically, you have to have gone above and beyond. Let’s see what the evidence is.

Right but if your videotaping just the sidelines…

I mean theoretically you could be using A.I. to figure out what the signals are etc.

Once again, it’s not scouting, if it is shown that they were deliberately recording the sidelines and not the field, then that’s a totally different story.

Basically, you have to have gone above and beyond. Let’s see what the evidence is.
I mean, Amazon has a telecast for this now. There's no shortage of options and tech to use this...The signals are less important even...I think NCAA needs to modernize things a bit.

So what do you do when Power 5 programs play FCS schools? Or MAC schools? They have to go back to the old way, or they get a competitive advantage? Or does the NCAA create a pot of money (mostly from the biggest schools) to fund this so all D1 schools have the technology?

That’s one of the big concerns and reasons this hasn’t been implemented - it has consequences that nobody can agree on how they will be handled.

I think there’s more to it here because opposing coaches are speaking up. Dude bought 4 tickets to Ohio St Penn st. Two on each side - never showed up this weekend.

Two possible options (although there’s more):
1) A lot of schools are doing something similar, but UM took it to a completely different level. While there’s honor among thieves sometimes, if one guy is taking more than his fair share the other thieves will turn on him.
2) It’s fairly obvious that by lying to the NCAA, Harbaugh put a big ol’ target on his back. Other coaches are taking the opportunity to shoot at it, because even though they’ve done similar this is a chance to hurt a competitor.

I recall Jerry Tarkanian of UNLV once said "the NCAA is so mad with Kentucky (or UCLA ?) that they will give Cleveland State another year of probation". It seems like they are scared of the "name teams". Many will tell tell you PSU really deserved a "death penalty" for that Jerry Sandusky business but the NCAA would tell you it's not "in our wheelhouse".

The likelihood of the death penalty ever being used again is 0%. I don’t think the NCAA has enough lawyers to deal with the lawsuits that would have come if they tried to hit PSU with the death penalty. Why they came out with a ruling and steadily dropped most of the penalties over time is beyond me, that’s a better fit for the NCAA caving to “name” schools since the penalties were fairly light to begin with.

Then finding a way to twist and bend how the rules can be interpreted to avoid hitting UNC really showed the lengths the NCAA will go to in order to avoid sanctioning “name” schools.

I agree with the statement "It's the integrity of the sport". I am sure NC was doing the something and after the Michigan outcry they stopped...Loss to 1-6 VA then happened.
Yea, there's no way this isn't more widespread. Seems like Michigan was just embarrassingly sloppy with how they did it. I'd be SHOCKED if they were the only team. Harbaugh isn't smart enough to pioneer this effort.

The likelihood of the death penalty ever being used again is 0%. I don’t think the NCAA has enough lawyers to deal with the lawsuits that would have come if they tried to hit PSU with the death penalty. Why they came out with a ruling and steadily dropped most of the penalties over time is beyond me, that’s a better fit for the NCAA caving to “name” schools since the penalties were fairly light to begin with.

Then finding a way to twist and bend how the rules can be interpreted to avoid hitting UNC really showed the lengths the NCAA will go to in order to avoid sanctioning “name” schools.
I also think a penalty compared to Jim Boeheim's is also now close to zero.

I also think a penalty compared to Jim Boeheim's is also now close to zero.
The fact we acknowledged our penalties is ridiculous.

We got the death sentence for weed and fab Melo who was an ESL student that more than clearly needed help and a tutor.

It just keeps getting worse for us to see the UNC game and a clear video shot of the punter being over a yard short of the first down. A week before same thing clear targeting with video proof overturned.