NCAA investigation: Internship hours, ties between YMCA and Syracuse athletes part of inquiry | Syracusefan.com

NCAA investigation: Internship hours, ties between YMCA and Syracuse athletes part of inquiry

Okay... so the alleged improprieties at the Y generally did not involve a guy affiliated with our univeristy / program [Leo], and instead involved someone with no ties to our University / program [Cornish]?

So, this "benefits to athletes" insinuation looks to be more of "hey, this SU supporter who worked with SU interns also embezzled hundreds of thousands of dollars and we want to make sure none went to SU athletes."

I wonder how the NCAA found out about this guy???

So, this "benefits to athletes" insinuation looks to be more of "hey, this SU supporter who worked with SU interns also embezzled hundreds of thousands of dollars and we want to make sure none went to SU athletes."
That sounds about right. I guess the best case scenario feels a little more likely now.

Don't be shocked, if Chris Carlson gets Boeheimed at some point.

Or better gets frozen out, or black balled from Syracuse University and covering Syracuse Athletics in the future when this all wraps up. Maybe he did draw the short end of the stick.

There is a reason Bud Poliquin (whatever you may think of him) who is Coach B go to guy in the local media. Or least seems to be.

Don't be shocked, if Chris Carlson gets Boeheimed at some point.

Or better gets frozen out, or black balled from Syracuse University and covering Syracuse Athletics in the future when this all wraps up. Maybe he did draw the short end of the stick.

There is a reason Bud Poliquin (whatever you may think of him) is Coach B go to guy in the local media. Or least seems to be.

Plus JB probably realizes nobody reads Bud anyway so it doesn't really matter what he writes :)

Lol. This whole investigation is comical. So the ncaa not only looking into if there was payment to players, but also making sure they also did this charity or course work? Talk about covering all your bases in this witch hunt .

This is the problem with giving the NCAA an avenue to start poking around, after the 2011 Bernie Fine absurdity. If they look long enough, they're bound to find something.

They're bound to find something.

This sounds more serious than you guys are letting on. This guy Cornish had a high level of access to the basketball program (how?). Driving Carmelo Anthony around, including to autograph sessions he apparently set up himself? That screams sketchy and although no proof is supplied here, there appears to be a large sum of cash floating in this guy's vicinity which could lead to trouble. Even if he paid somebody 50 cents to sign 1000 autographs, that is a violation, no?

"Former basketball player Dayshawn Wright said he was paid $100 by Cornish to work the scoreboard at a basketball tournament at the Oneida Y."

It seems like such trifling b.s., but we all know how the NCAA operates...

releasethehounds.jpg

Last edited:
This sounds more serious than you guys are letting on. This guy Cornish had a high level of access to the basketball program (how?). Driving Carmelo Anthony around, including to autograph sessions he apparently set up himself? That screams sketchy and although no proof is supplied here, there appears to be a large sum of cash floating in this guy's vicinity which could lead to trouble. Even if he paid somebody 50 cents to sign 1000 autographs, that is a violation, no?

Yes, it would be. But I'm not seeing anything in that article that correlates to what you're describing.

It didn't sound like an "autograph session" -- it sounded like Cornish took him to meet a few people he knew, as if to name drop, not to pay him to sign.

The worst thing in there is about the $100 paid to a player. That would be bad. However, the article didn't say WHEN Wright was paid--was it while he was at SU, or afterwards?

And there's a bunch of thinly veiled suggestion of impropriety around how the internship worked, but nothing substantive. "18% of football players took a major..." BFD. How many of them participated in this internship? And how many of them were alleged to either not have done work or receive an improper benefit? And where's the evidence to back up that allegation?

Because otherwise, this doesn't amount to much. More NCAA sensationalism that is short on substance.

Of course you, Would come up with this post and angle/perspective.

Yes, it would be. But I'm not seeing anything in that article that correlates to what you're describing.

It didn't sound like an "autograph session" -- it sounded like Cornish took him to meet a few people he knew, as if to name drop, not to pay him to sign.

Possibly, but a guy who is willing to embezzle $300k from the freaking YMCA can't have a whole lot of scruples and definitely had a lot of cash burning a hole in his pocket. I don't like the conclusion that leads me to.

Possibly, but a guy who is willing to embezzle $300k from the freaking YMCA can't have a whole lot of scruples and definitely had a lot of cash burning a hole in his pocket. I don't like the conclusion that leads me to.

Circumstantial logic isn't "evidence." Absent any specific allegations and evidence to support them, I see nothing to worry about with this latest "bombshell."

Dude, . You've been a member here for 20 minutes. You don't know me.

I have also been a long time lurker before being a member.

You where freaking out, when the Syracuse Twitter people had the twitter gaffe with the Tyler Ennis T-Shirts/or Jerseys following the Pitt Miracle shot.

I could name other instances.

I have also been a long time lurker before being a member.

You where freaking out, when the Syracuse Twitter people had the twitter gaffe with the Tyler Ennis T-Shirts/or Jerseys following the Pitt Miracle shot.

I could name other instances.

Link the posts.