NCAA investigation: Internship hours, ties between YMCA and Syracuse athletes part of inquiry | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA investigation: Internship hours, ties between YMCA and Syracuse athletes part of inquiry

What has Carlson reported that has seemed earth shattering? I'd be more concerned if something came out regarding known rampant academic cheating or easy grades. I don't think anything has come out that would be able to be tied to coaching staff of the bball program. The NCAA at this point would be more concerned over the Academic part of the investigation, and nothing besides Fab has been leaked to cause me concern.

Possibly, but a guy who is willing to embezzle $300k from the freaking YMCA can't have a whole lot of scruples and definitely had a lot of cash burning a hole in his pocket. I don't like the conclusion that leads me to.

That's a good point about the other guy, but I'm more worried [from an NCAA standpoint] about (1) whether our kids who participated in these internships did what they were supposed to do to fulfill the acadmemic requirement associated with the class, and (2) whether or not they got paid to do so.

I'm a lot less worried about hours being approved, whether grad students were in charge versus faculty [although that does seem odd to me]. Put in a new control to address both issues and move on. Next.

It's the stuff above that is more worrisome. And if the NCAA has no hard evidence on either, we're probably in very good shape.

Last edited:
That's a good point about the other guy, but I'm more worried [from an NCAA standpoint] about (1) whether our kids who participated in these internships did what they were supposed to do to fulfill the acadmemic requirement associated with the class, and (2) whether or not they got paid to do so.

I'm a lot less worried about hours being approved, whether grad students were in charge versus faculty [although that does seem odd to me]. Put in a new control to address both issues and move on. Next. It's the stuff above that is more worrisome. And if the NCAA has no hard evidence on either, we're probably in very good shape.

On top of all that, it sounds like the Y internships involved predominantly (or all) football players (not that I'd welcome football violations).

What has Carlson reported that has seemed earth shattering? I'd be more concerned if something came out regarding known rampant academic cheating or easy grades. I don't think anything has come out that would be able to be tied to coaching staff of the bball program. The NCAA at this point would be more concerned over the Academic part of the investigation, and nothing besides Fab has been leaked to cause me concern.

Me neither. Here's what is important to keep in mind about this investigation, from top to bottom: we gave them the opportunity to look under our skirts, they've spent two years doing so, and they probably did not find anything major--despite that asinine, anyonymous proclomation a couple of years ago that if you threw a dart at the rule book, you'd hit a rule we broke.

Instead, they found four different categories of stuff that are all pretty minor:

1. A bunch of penny ante stuff--administrivia type of infractions
  2. Things that seem unseemly on the surface [like this report], but for which they lack evidence to support that something actually happened that was an instance of rules breaking
  3. Minor procedural violations that required adjustment to the controls to ensure that they don't happen again, and for which we've already made those adjustments before the NCAA got involved
  4. Stuff that we self-reported that was fairly minor, but we still proactively addressed it

Their strategic approach is to take stuff from all four categories, that don't amount to a hill of beans individually, and paint the picture that the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts vis a vis lack of institutional control. In other words, throwing sh-t against the wall to see what sticks. SU has solid footing IMO to tell the NCAA to go pound salt if it comes to that, because it isn't difficult to envision most of this not holding up.

Last edited:
At this point I'm not even bothering with this stuff until the NCAA releases their findings and tells us what they plan to do about it. I have yet to hear of anything that amounts to more than petty stuff. Academic fraud with certain tutors is my only real concern and we had two players sit for this so who knows. The illegal benefits look like a bunch of little pieces of dog crap that the NCAA is trying to pile together in on big steaming pile but its all old and dried out amounting to nada.

and the post standard wonders why JB can't stand them. They are only interested in writing articles that generate "clicks" as Carleson called it when I asked him today why no women basketball coverage from his paper. He said that women basketball generates very few clicks and that is why no coverage. The more clicks they get on articles the more money they make so any article they write like this make me question their agenda.

Jamesvillecuse said:
and the post standard wonders why JB can't stand them. They are only interested in writing articles that generate "clicks" as Carleson called it when I asked him today why no women basketball coverage from his paper. He said that women basketball generates very few clicks and that is why no coverage. The more clicks they get on articles the more money they make so any article they write like this make me question their agenda.

Exactly. A lot of young reporters looking to make a name for themselves.

a certain poster needs to stop calling out other posters like he is the almighty judge of anything posted on this forum. It is alright to disagree with someone but to constantly question a poster you do not know is very childish and as he likes to point out we are not syracusedotcom. just relax and try to be less confrontational it's just sports.

a certain poster needs to stop calling out other posters like he is the almighty judge of anything posted on this forum. It is alright to disagree with someone but to constantly question a poster you do not know is very childish. and as he likes to point out we are not syracusedotcom. just relax and try to less confrontational its just sports.

Yes, we need more Bill Bixby and less Lou Ferrigno.

This sounds more serious than you guys are letting on. This guy Cornish had a high level of access to the basketball program (how?). Driving Carmelo Anthony around, including to autograph sessions he apparently set up himself? That screams sketchy and although no proof is supplied here, there appears to be a large sum of cash floating in this guy's vicinity which could lead to trouble. Even if he paid somebody 50 cents to sign 1000 autographs, that is a violation, no?

since when is meeting people or signing an autograph against the rules?

Exactly what did the PS reporters do wrong here?

The found out more details about matters already under investigation by the NCAA and made them known to their readers.

They did not turn up evidence of violations or other information not already known to the NCAA.

So we know a little more about the probe. Good on them as far as I'm concerned.

Exactly what did the PS reporters do wrong here?

The found out more details about matters already under investigation by the NCAA and made them known to their readers.

They did not turn up evidence of violations of other information not already known to the NCAA.

So we know a little more about the probe. Good on them as far as I'm concerned.

I agree; Carlson and Mink are doing terrific work. If you want to bury your head and just yell "bias," be my guest, but it won't get you anywhere.

If you spend two years digging through any major college program and you can't absolutely nail them to the wall for major violations then they should get a non penalizing "hey we think your trying to run a clean program but clean up the process on these few issues statement."

"Former basketball player Dayshawn Wright said he was paid $100 by Cornish to work the scoreboard at a basketball tournament at the Oneida Y."

It seems like such trifling b.s., but we all know how the NCAA operates...

View attachment 30226

When was the game - over the summer. If he worked shouldn't he be paid ?...BUT - is there any proof that he was paid? I paid Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon $100 to sign an autograph for my kid.

since when is meeting people or signing an autograph against the rules?

If you get paid it is a violation. And to answer your next amazing insight: no there was no proof presented that anyone was paid for an autograph.

I know both individuals named in the article. One of them is genuinely one of the best people I've ever met in my life. He has higher moral standards and ethics than 95% of the people I've known.
and the other...?

I agree; Carlson and Mink are doing terrific work. If you want to bury your head and just yell "bias," be my guest, but it won't get you anywhere.

Mehhh, depends what your definition of investigative journalism is. A lot of it has been "hypothetical", but hey thats the way "journalists" report in this day in age. I think they have had a difficult time finding factual evidence to put in their articles, so they have been relying on "hypotheticals" to get more page clicks.

First, what is this?

Investigators also asked about a former YMCA employee who had exceptional access to Syracuse men's basketball players and was sued for allegedly misappropriating close to $350,000 from the Y. It is unclear if any of those funds were given to athletes

It is unclear or there is absolutely no evidence that any of these funds were given to athletes? This is ridiculous and implies potential guilt to make the story jucier.

Second, do you see Axe's comment in the comments section:

"The plot thickens?"

I know it's just the comments, but What.

I usually defend these guys but this is some BS. Act, write and behave like a professional.

"Former basketball player Dayshawn Wright said he was paid $100 by Cornish to work the scoreboard at a basketball tournament at the Oneida Y."

It seems like such trifling b.s., but we all know how the NCAA operates...

View attachment 30226

If he was working a tourney, that would be $100 likely for a full day or possibly multiple days. $10 an hour for 10 hours doesn't really seem like anything but a day of work for an 18 year old.