NCAA investigation: Internship hours, ties between YMCA and Syracuse athletes part of inquiry | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA investigation: Internship hours, ties between YMCA and Syracuse athletes part of inquiry

RF2044 said:
None of which makes these allegations true nor actually indicative of major [versus minor] infractions--bringing lawyers and taking this type of hearing seriously is all about protecting yourself.

Or all of which could. Thankfully SU doesn't have the attitude in a lot of the posts.

Or all of which could. Thankfully SU doesn't have the attitude in a lot of the posts.

They are taking the attitude of broadly protecting the University's interests. And also that they are not going to lie down and accept penalties for major infractions from a largely illegitimate governing agency for a bunch of relatively minor minutia, just like the attitude being expressed in a lot of the posts.

And fortunately, they have legal recourse--which is why the lawyers and university officials were involved in the proceeding. Not because it is a sign of guilt.

Last edited:
RF2044 said:
They are taking the attitude of protecting themselves. And also that they are not going to lie down and accept penalties for major infractions from a largely illegitimate governing agency for a bunch of relatively minor minutia, just like the attitude being expressed in a lot of the posts. And fortunately, they have legal recourse--which is why the lawyers and university officials were involved in the proceeding. Not because it is a sign of guilt.

You miss the whole point, but preach on.

It's clear SU took this seriously...and still is.

But I'd like to see the Post-Standard switch gears and eventually do a story on how the investigation was done, from the school's perspective.

Some of the nit picky things they stuck their nose in were quite interesting.

RF2044 said:
I'm not missing any point. I just don't think you understand the legal process very well.

Understand it very well.

th

Understand it very well.

Doesn't seem that way, but I'll let it go.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I certainly will not feel comfortable until we see the published allegations and the University's reaction / after actions.

Understand it very well.
Anyone accused of anything should take it serious. Obvious. However, someone on the outside is certainly free to look at the situation and say, they got nothing. Doesn't mean they are right or wrong. I will say that I don't there is a person here who didn't think when they saw this YMCA story, whew, the accusation could be a lot worse.

RF2044 said:
Doesn't seem that way, but I'll let it go. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I certainly will not feel comfortable until we see the published allegations and the University's reaction / after actions.

All I'm saying, which was my point in my first post is this. And everything has been in prior articles or todays article.

This isn't the investigation phase. This is the allegation phase. The army we brought, the fact that 2 non SU people who got lawyers themselves and one went, the fact it goes back so far...all public knowledge, says the allegations are pretty darn serious.

And like I also said, hopefully there isn't anything there and we were able to show that and keep any penalties away from a post season ban.

The sportswriter's credibility went down in my estimation when he couldn't tell that me was proper at the end of a sentence rather than I. I try not to get nitpicky about spelling/grammar/usage here but this is a professional writer who misused it.

Bringing a lot of lawyers could mean many things. It doesnt just mean "oh the ncaa is going to hammer us we might better cover our ass"

cusetown1 said:
It doesnt just mean "oh the ncaa is going to hammer us we might better cover our ass"

Yea, that's what I said. They're gonna hammer us.

Yea, that's what I said. They're gonna hammer us.

That's not what you said though. You just said mean SU is taking seriously.

That doesn't mean, What/If/or how severe or unsevere the result will be.

This whole thing just needs to be resolved and settled. Move On !!!

All I have to say is now that the 2017 Final Four is in Phoenix we better not get a ban that year. Cause I plan on seeing everyone here!!! Buffalo, Brooklyn and Phoenix!!!
Other than that, I am just holding my breath that we get out of this ok. We can speculate all we want one way or the other, but we don't really know anything, and won't until the decision comes down.

where does it say he was a booster? The article only says that he was a close to the program. Didn't mention once that he had given money to the university...or did I miss that?
You are right, we do not know if he was a financial booster. However, he was hanging around the program and appears to have had lots of access through close connections with players.

You are right, we do not know if he was a financial booster. However, he was hanging around the program and appears to have had lots of access through close connections with players.
He had close connections from the YMCA?

I disagree, You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

How much of their overall sports coverage is Syracuse University Athletics ? 90 Percent or more.
Ever hear of Free Press?

Are people really blaming the P-S writers for investigating this? When did we become FSU fans? Obviously they need to look into this, it is their job.
I have absolutely no problem with the ncaa looking into things. My problem all along was the timing of this probe.

He had close connections from the YMCA?
The Family and Child Program did internships with the Y. The program was a magnet for athletes.

Last edited:
I belive Pat Forde was one who started doing digging. Then boom SU under investigation.