NCAA Relocating 2021 Men’s Basketball Championship Sites to Indiana | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Relocating 2021 Men’s Basketball Championship Sites to Indiana

INDIANAPOLIS — The NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship will tip off with a quartet of First Four games Thursday, March 18, setting a stage for a March Madness unlike any other in the 82 years of the event.

As previously announced, the entire tournament will be in Indiana, with 55 of the 67 games taking place in Indianapolis. Mackey Arena in West Lafayette and Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall in Bloomington will each host two First Four games and will join Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Hinkle Fieldhouse, Indiana Farmers Coliseum and Lucas Oil Stadium as hosts of first-round games Friday and Saturday, March 19 and 20. The four venues in Indianapolis will serve as sites for the remainder of the championship, including second-round games Sunday and Monday, March 21 and 22. While specific game times will be announced later, viewers can expect games in typical broadcast windows, with first- and second-round games on TBS, CBS, TNT and truTV.

The Sweet 16 will be played at Bankers Life Fieldhouse and Hinkle Fieldhouse on Saturday and Sunday, March 27 and 28, with each of the eight games getting its own television window. In the past, regional semifinal games took place in prime time, with a pair of games overlapping each other in the early evening and late evening sessions. In 2021, all Sweet 16 games will be played at separate times.

The Elite Eight games will take place in prime time Monday and Tuesday, March 29 and 30, and the Final Four is scheduled for Saturday and Monday, April 3 and 5. All those games will be played at Lucas Oil Stadium.

1611085058626.png

INDIANAPOLIS — The NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship will tip off with a quartet of First Four games Thursday, March 18, setting a stage for a March Madness unlike any other in the 82 years of the event.

As previously announced, the entire tournament will be in Indiana, with 55 of the 67 games taking place in Indianapolis. Mackey Arena in West Lafayette and Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall in Bloomington will each host two First Four games and will join Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Hinkle Fieldhouse, Indiana Farmers Coliseum and Lucas Oil Stadium as hosts of first-round games Friday and Saturday, March 19 and 20. The four venues in Indianapolis will serve as sites for the remainder of the championship, including second-round games Sunday and Monday, March 21 and 22. While specific game times will be announced later, viewers can expect games in typical broadcast windows, with first- and second-round games on TBS, CBS, TNT and truTV.

The Sweet 16 will be played at Bankers Life Fieldhouse and Hinkle Fieldhouse on Saturday and Sunday, March 27 and 28, with each of the eight games getting its own television window. In the past, regional semifinal games took place in prime time, with a pair of games overlapping each other in the early evening and late evening sessions. In 2021, all Sweet 16 games will be played at separate times.

The Elite Eight games will take place in prime time Monday and Tuesday, March 29 and 30, and the Final Four is scheduled for Saturday and Monday, April 3 and 5. All those games will be played at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Good to know. I made a slight adjustment to my time off schedule.

ACC should have the ACCT in Indy. Just bubble up there a week early for the conference tourney so you don’t have to worry about infections between then and the big dance

All NCAAT-qualifying teams within 350 miles of Indianapolis will be required to travel by charter bus. And in an effort to combat COVID-19 positives that could surface after arrival in Indianapolis, teams’ traveling parties will split up into three busses.

For teams flying, private airports (and private planes, as always) will be used. As I’ve previously reported, eating/ drinking while traveling via bus/plane is not allowed. Goggles + face shields will also be provided/suggested as extra measures. (Masks mandated, natch.)

Auto-bid teams determined prior to Saturday, March 13, will be asked to arrive in Indy on March 13. Teams earning auto bids early enough on Saturday afternoon/evening will immediately depart from their league championship, provided they can arrive in Indy later Saturday night.

I’m told all 31 auto bids will arrive in Indy Sat. or Sun. LATE Sunday and all-day-Monday departures will be reserved for the 37 at-large teams. Meaning even if a team is considered a lock, protocol is to not leave for Indy until the bracket reveal officially confirms inclusion.

The NCAA is asking teams with "high probability" of being selected as at-larges to stay in their conference tournament location between the end of their league tourney and the bracket reveal. (This would primarily only become tricky if, say, Gonzaga didn't get the auto bid.)

The travel-party size capacity is 34 for all NCAAT teams. If you go to the NCAAT, you are Tier 1. As previously reported, you need seven straight negatives to be able to depart for Indy. Bands will not be allowed at the NCAAT through at least the E8; decisions on F4 not yet made.

Teams will only be allowed to eat in designated rooms at their hotels for the entirety of their stay in Indy. Every person will have their own hotel room. Obviously, no outside guests will be allowed—that is allowed into the hotel, period, that aren’t on a team or with the NCAA.

The Indiana Convention Center will have 12 practice courts. (Teams will also practice at NCAAT venues.) In a twist, coaches will not be allowed to scout next-round opponents; all scouting will be done via video, which the NCAA will supply to teams that make it to the next round.

Forgive me if this has been covered. What is the plan if a team does wind up quarantined during the tournament? Do they just forfeit and the other team moves on to the next round?

Forgive me if this has been covered. What is the plan if a team does wind up quarantined during the tournament? Do they just forfeit and the other team moves on to the next round?
Depends on the team... wheelhouse.

2021 NCAA Tournament TV schedule​

First Four​

THURSDAY, MARCH 18TIMECHANNEL
Game 15 p.m.truTV
Game 26:20 p.m.TBS
Game 38:30 p.m.truTV
Game 49:50 p.m.TBS

First round​

FRIDAY, MARCH 19TIMECHANNEL
Game 5NoonCBS
Game 612:30 p.m.truTV
Game 71 p.m.TBS
Game 81:30 p.m.TNT
Game 92:45 p.m.CBS
Game 103:20 p.m.truTV
Game 113:50 p.m.TBS
Game 124:20 p.m.TNT
Game 136:15 p.m.TBS
Game 147 p.m.CBS
Game 157 p.m.truTV
Game 167:15 p.m.TNT
Game 179:10 p.m.TBS
Game 189:30 p.m.CBS
Game 199:45 p.m.truTV
Game 209:50 p.m.TNT
SATURDAY, MARCH 20TIMECHANNEL
Game 21NoonCBS
Game 2212:30 p.m.truTV
Game 231 p.m.TBS
Game 241:30 p.m.TNT
Game 251 p.m.CBS
Game 263:20 p.m.truTV
Game 273:50 p.m.TBS
Game 284:20 p.m.TNT
Game 296:15 p.m.TBS
Game 307 p.m.CBS
Game 317 p.m.truTV
Game 327:15 p.m.TNT
Game 339:10 p.m.TBS
Game 349:30 p.m.CBS
Game 359:45 p.m.truTV
Game 369:50 p.m.TNT

Second round​

SUNDAY, MARCH 21TIMECHANNEL
Game 37NoonCBS
Game 382:30 p.m.CBS
Game 395 p.m.CBS
Game 406 p.m.TNT
Game 417 p.m.TBS
Game 427:30 p.m.truTV
Game 438:30 p.m.TNT
Game 449:30 p.m.TBS
MONDAY, MARCH 22TIMECHANNEL
Game 45NoonCBS
Game 462:30p.m.CBS
Game 475 p.m.TBS
Game 486 p.m.TNT
Game 497 p.m.CBS
Game 507:30 p.m.TBS
Game 518:30 p.m.TNT
Game 529:30 p.m.CBS

Sweet 16​

SATURDAY, MARCH 27TIMECHANNEL
Game 532:30 p.m.CBS
Game 545 p.m.CBS
Game 557:15 p.m.TBS
Game 569:45 p.m.TBS
SUNDAY, MARCH 28TIMECHANNEL
Game 572 p.m.CBS
Game 584:45 p.m.CBS
Game 597 p.m.TBS
Game 609:30 p.m.TBS

Elite Eight​

MONDAY, MARCH 29TIMECHANNEL
Game 617 p.m.CBS
Game 629:45 p.m.CBS
TUESDAY, MARCH 30TIMECHANNEL
Game 637 p.m.TBS
Game 649:45 p.m.TBS

Final Four​

SATURDAY, APRIL 3TIMECHANNEL
Game 655 p.m.CBS
Game 668:30 p.m.CBS

National championship​

MONDAY, APRIL 5TIMECHANNEL
Game 679 p.m.CBS

Depends on the team... wheelhouse.
See nfl game policy. Las Vegas we’re moving your game up. Denver you play with no QB. Baltimore (Lamar Jackson) we’ll bend over backwards to accommodate

Who wants to go in on a room in Indy for 2.5 weeks?

I think that city has my vote for worst/least favorite in the USA but that is a lot of dancing to be had.

Well for 572 I just pulled the trigger on my trip for the first 2 rounds. I always take vacation for the Dance. Early AM friday flight gets me there at 1115am. Tues return home 1030am. Honestly so little work time missed I might even not have to bring the laptop. 4 Nights at the Fairfield Inn downtown most of the games are walking distance. First weekend tickets should be fine price wise I'd expect Sweet 16 and Elite 8 to be an arm and a half.

Now all we gotta do is make it.

sounds like it once the tourney starts

Ok so any guesses as to how many teams win by forfeit due to Covid in the tourney? Imagine if it happens in the final 4 or even the championship game.

Ok so any guesses as to how many teams win by forfeit due to Covid in the tourney? Imagine if it happens in the final 4 or even the championship game.
I would be surprised if there’s one. Shocked if there’s two.

Once you get to Indy and test negative you should be good if you keep testing negative.

I have to imagine the second someone gets a positive they get quarantined and the rest of the team is allowed to carry on if they have negative results.

That said I'm not sure how secure the bubble will be you can still book any hotel you want around the venues.

They need the replacements to hit the court pro wrestling style

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom