NCAA says sports bettors threatening 1 in 3 Athletes | Syracusefan.com

NCAA says sports bettors threatening 1 in 3 Athletes

I think it's absolutely insane that they allow individual prop bets (e.g. over or under X number of rebounds in a game) for college players.

Most states with legal sports betting don’t allow prop bets on college sports. Others don’t allow them for in-state teams.

I’m surprised any states allow them for college sports but at least it’s not the norm.

It’s gotta be way higher than 1/3
More women athletes than men targeted too? Is that really associated with betting? Sadly, I can imagine Clark, Reese etc were huge targets but it sounds like it’s more rampant according to the article.

It's easier to get to the role players because it doesn't look as suspicious if they miss a couple baskets or make a turnover.

I blame the NCAA for the gambling, NIL money and the general decline of college sports.

Could a sports betting service pay a college player NIL money to, let’s say make a TV commercial?

Is everyone that gambles on sports a degenerate?
Some people just enjoy having a wager on a sporting event to get that adrenaline rush.Im all for people spending their money how they choose to.
Probably

Betting being legal was a good idea for who exactly?
I dunno but I bet way less and in more moderation not having to travel to wager legally or use illegal entities.

Just makes me mad when the establishment cries foul about athletes gaining an edge to profit. Don’t take bets if you don’t want dudes intentionally missing their player props.

I dunno but I bet way less and in more moderation not having to travel to wager legally or use illegal entities.

Just makes me mad when the establishment cries foul about athletes gaining an edge to profit. Don’t take bets if you don’t want dudes intentionally missing their player props.
It stinks that players are getting harassed over this stuff. I wonder if support staff encourage them to block notifications so that the athletes only get them if they follow the person. Brains aren't fully developed until around age 25, so athletes are quite sensitive to those messages no matter how much confidence they exude on the court.

On another note, if media partners are going to be in bed with sports betting companies (I'm against it, but that ship has sailed), the conferences have an even stronger duty to crack down on bad officiating and what is and isn't reviewable.

Last edited:
More women athletes than men targeted too? Is that really associated with betting? Sadly, I can imagine Clark, Reese etc were huge targets but it sounds like it’s more rampant according to the article.

Women athletes earn much less money than the men. That makes them an obvious target.

How about “sign off of social media if you are a famous person”?

It's easier to get to the role players because it doesn't look as suspicious if they miss a couple baskets or make a turnover.

I blame the NCAA for the gambling, NIL money and the general decline of college sports.
You can blame them for a lot of things, but a lot of what you listed was outside of their control and stuff they didn't really want. General greed would probably be the bigger thing to blame, and much of that can be attributed to the conferences and schools.

You can blame them for a lot of things, but a lot of what you listed was outside of their control and stuff they didn't really want. General greed would probably be the bigger thing to blame, and much of that can be attributed to the conferences and schools.
The NCAA though was ruled by the schools thus the conferences. Like most things though the big $ schools ruled the NCAA and also within each conference.

The NCAA though was ruled by the schools thus the conferences. Like most things though the big $ schools ruled the NCAA and also within each conference.
In theory it is ruled by the schools, but the conferences and schools still make decisions in their own best interests independent of the NCAA. The NCAA has no control over the TV deals that has led to all the conference realignment.

I think it's absolutely insane that they allow individual prop bets (e.g. over or under X number of rebounds in a game) for college players.
Why? They're adults who get paid to play their sport. They don't deserve special protections.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom