NCAA set to vote on key rule changes | Syracusefan.com

NCAA set to vote on key rule changes

"The block/charge call could be slightly altered in an effort to help the offensive player. Now the secondary defender needs to be in legal guarding position before the player leaves the ground. The new interpretation would be that the defender needs to be set before the offensive player begins the upward motion of his shot. "We feel this would help referees, and also reduce the number of charge calls," the source said."

Whatever they do with the charge/block call it will still be almost impossible for refs to consistently get it right. The play happens so fast that it's usually a 50/50 toss up as to whether the call should be a block or a charge. I'd almost rather the charge/block be eliminated and just make it a no call--have the potential charge negate the potential block.

"The block/charge call could be slightly altered in an effort to help the offensive player. Now the secondary defender needs to be in legal guarding position before the player leaves the ground. The new interpretation would be that the defender needs to be set before the offensive player begins the upward motion of his shot. "We feel this would help referees, and also reduce the number of charge calls," the source said."

Whatever they do with the charge/block call it will still be almost impossible for refs to consistently get it right. The play happens so fast that it's usually a 50/50 toss up as to whether the call should be a block or a charge. I'd almost rather the charge/block be eliminated and just make it a no call--have the potential charge negate the potential block.
Another idea is to increase the circle under the basket. This will make it more difficult for the defender to step in at the last minute when a player has started his drive...On a somewhat unrelated note, someone on the board posted a while back the idea of an offensive follow (or maybe just a charge) not counting as a personal. I think this too should be considered. I'm usually against giving a player more fouls as we've all seen the league become to aggressive. But I don't think limiting it to charges would cause this to happen.

"There's not a lot of momentum to change the shot clock from 35 to 30 seconds," the source said.

Bummer, a shortened shot clock would make our zone even harder to crack and make teams less reliant on the Princeton style of boring offense.

dook does not want the charge to go away...if it does, there goes their flopping game!!

Fine and suspend referees after sub par performance's and at least go to a 30 Second Clock :rolling:

Regarding the last point (coaches should sit and not yell at refs all game), I would amend it to give a technical for too many players on the court if the coach stands on the court while the ball is in play.

You have no idea how often I'm yelling at my tv or computer screen because the coach is so far on the court it looks like he is about to take a NBA 3 ptr. It pisses me off to no extent. You're not playing coach, GTF back!

"There's not a lot of momentum to change the shot clock from 35 to 30 seconds," the source said.

Bummer, a shortened shot clock would make our zone even harder to crack and make teams less reliant on the Princeton style of boring offense.

thats unbelievable theres not momentum for that, did they watch college hoops last year?? they really think all these games in the 50s is good for the game? the women dont even play with a 35 second shot clock.

thats unbelievable theres not momentum for that, did they watch college hoops last year?? they really think all these games in the 50s is good for the game? the women dont even play with a 35 second shot clock.
a shorter shot clock would hurt scoring. These guys can't get a shot in 35, why would you think they can get a shot in at 30?

The best thing they could do to improve the game is outlaw hand checking as they have in the NBA. When did it become OK in college for the defender to have his hand on the offensive player's hip the whole length of the court pushing and shoving the ball handler? It's become a joke. If the ball handler tries to push the hand off, he gets called for an offensive foul. This is the biggest single factor in causing all the 50 point games. And please enforce the coach's box and give an automatic T if the coach goes outside the box. Some of these coaches (Pitino, Buzz Williams) stand out on the court the entire game and direct the positioning of their players during play.

a shorter shot clock would hurt scoring. These guys can't get a shot in 35, why would you think they can get a shot in at 30?
I think we should experiment with it for our game against Indiana, Creen would crap himself.

Seriously though, I think it's time to change it and it will help the game.

more possessions = more points

more possessions = more points
That works if the majority of teams are purposely slowing down play. I don't think that's the case and the bulk of the NCAA scoring woes is as discussed above: defenses are getting away with a lot of contact. Taking 5 seconds away from the offense doesn't fix anything.

That works if the majority of teams are purposely slowing down play. I don't think that's the case and the bulk of the NCAA scoring woes is as discussed above: defenses are getting away with a lot of contact. Taking 5 seconds away from the offense doesn't fix anything.

I'm afraid a shortened shot clock would just result in more bad offensive possessions (i.e. bad jump shots) and consequently, less of an impact on scoring.

If it were up to me, I would cut down on the hand checking and shorten the shot clock.

Just looking at it broadly, the average team had 65.9 possessions per game last year, so times 2 that gives you about 132 possessions. I don't think you can say shortening the clock by 5 seconds, which is about 14%, would increase possessions by 14%, which would be 150 possessions, but does half that seem reasonable? Going from 132 possessions to 141 would almost certainly increase scoring.

I'm afraid a shortened shot clock would just result in more bad offensive possessions (i.e. bad jump shots) and consequently, less of an impact on scoring.

how bout this. more possessions = more chances to score.

how bout this. more possessions = more chances to score.
It also equals more bad possessions. Just more points isn't what needs to be fixed, its the flow and style of the game that needs fixing.

It also equals more bad possessions. Just more points isn't what needs to be fixed, its the flow and style of the game that needs fixing.

I'd rather watch a team pass the ball around the perimeter for 30 seconds instead of 35 seconds

Im not saying lowering the shot clock fixes everything, but its a start. women don't even play with a 35 second shot clock, its too long.

I'd rather watch a team pass the ball around the perimeter for 30 seconds instead of 35 seconds

Im not saying lowering the shot clock fixes everything, but its a start. women don't even play with a 35 second shot clock, its too long.

I don't disagree, but I think the opposite in terms of what to change first. We see a lot of teams just passing around and think they're not doing anything because we had a damn good defense that was hard to crack. I think just lowering the shot-clock without doing anything to address the physical style of defenses will just result in bad shots taken 5 seconds sooner. Once the flow of the game is addressed by calling the fouls on the books and not penalizing good offense because some defender slid in under a guy taking a layup, then taking the shot-clock down to 30 would be a good next step. Maybe help get games back into the 80's points wise.

I wonder what the efficiency is on possessions that end in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock

How about "defenders can no longer use any part of the arm below the elbow to make contact with a ball carrier".

Hand-checks, stiff-arming, and arm-barring is much more damaging to the state of offense in CBB than block/charges ever were.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom