NCAA to consider early signing period. | Syracusefan.com

NCAA to consider early signing period.

JoeSU

All American
On the plus side, this proposal seems like it would diminish the current frenzy and theatrics surrounding NLI day. It would also allow recruits to avoid all of the distractions during their senior season.

On the negative side, a recruit who signs during the early period would (presumably) still be bound to a school even if the HC is fired or leaves for another position at the end of the season. And I assume a school would still have to honor the scholarship of a player who signed early but was seriously injured during his Sr. season

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...caa-considering-early-signing-period-football.

Would certainly change the view of potential recruits when they commit and how clear schools have to be when they offer.

It seems like we've been good at identifying "diamonds in the rough" early, who then blow up their Sr. season and are lured away by bigger programs. Maybe an early signing period would help us hold onto these guys.

It seems like we've been good at identifying "diamonds in the rough" early, who then blow up their Sr. season and are lured away by bigger programs. Maybe an early signing period would help us hold onto these guys.

It probably would, but we would need to significantly advance our evaluation of recruits. We would need to know who we were going to offer by the end of the prospects Sophmore season in some cases.

I think this would be a good thing for the smaller schools and when I say smaller schools Im talking about the non powerhouses. A lot of times, powerhouses come in and steal a recruit at the last second when all their other options select other big time schools. These kids sign earlier, they have no chance of flipping. Just a thought, but it would definitely benefit Syracuse.

It would benefit most schools, and actually hurt the better schools, the better schools would have to sign kids early, to make sure they had positions filled. They wouldn't be able to suddenly recruit over a kid in the spring, and leave them without a scholarship.

I am for what ever is best for the kids. The billion/million dollar businesses that beg for their attention is by far second in my book.

On the plus side, this proposal seems like it would diminish the current frenzy and theatrics surrounding NLI day. It would also allow recruits to avoid all of the distractions during their senior season.

On the negative side, a recruit who signs during the early period would (presumably) still be bound to a school even if the HC is fired or leaves for another position at the end of the season. And I assume a school would still have to honor the scholarship of a player who signed early but was seriously injured during his Sr. season

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...caa-considering-early-signing-period-football.
Again, for the life of me this on the surface looks likes it levels the playing field in CFB recruiting, but looking deeper it will really pretty much only benefit the big schools once again as they will be the ones to say if you want to play here you better sign. Not to mention they can sign kids at depth positions early with the promise of open competion for early playing time beofre the season starts . I can't see it as a benefit for schools like ours and again feel we are getting a baloney sales pitch by the NCAA and Sabin cronies. Its a benefit for kids that want to sign and be left alone, but only for those that are positive that this is where they want to play.

Again, for the life of me this on the surface looks likes it levels the playing field in CFB recruiting, but looking deeper it will really pretty much only benefit the big schools once again as they will be the ones to say if you want to play here you better sign. Not to mention they can sign kids at depth positions early with the promise of open competion for early playing time beofre the season starts . I can't see it as a benefit for schools like ours and again feel we are getting a baloney sales pitch by the NCAA and Sabin cronies. Its a benefit for kids that want to sign and be left alone, but only for those that are positive that this is where they want to play.

But, that actually helps Syracuse.

If a kid signs with a big school and struggles in the spring, they can't just rescind the scholly and look elsewhere. Thus, they won't be able to be in on as many 2nd and 3rd level kids, which is where Syracuse needs to clean up.

If this happens, I think Syracuse (one of the slower teams on the trail) benefits b/c a number of recruiting spots have been locked in by competitors. So, for the late bloomers or spring performers, Syracuse has less teams to deal with.

If there was an early signing period, would Missouri still have had room of Brantley? Would Miami have been able to come in late on Whigham?