NCAA to meet soon about immediate eligibility for transfers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA to meet soon about immediate eligibility for transfers

Immediate playing after transfer will be a disaster. I'm in favor of letting kids transfer and play immediately if a coaching change is made, out of fairness, but not otherwise.

After reading a lot of the comments above, I think either I am misreading something or many of you are missing something. Doesn't it say that the transfer period would be for one week only toward the end of the season? So Kentucky can't use it to restock because the period is before the end of the season, and also you can only bring in the same number of players that you lost to transfer. And there are 2 "one extra" rules in all of this. This rule is primarily for Sophomores and Juniors with limited playing time (under 20 min. per game). Once again, there is the super team rule. The best part is the one where if the coach leaves, you can transfer. It is set up so this is done during specific periods. It is not providing a rotating door all season long. Once your season is set, it is set. This is for a following season. We lose players all the time for all sorts of reasons. So the game is somewhat transient anyways.

After reading a lot of the comments above, I think either I am misreading something or many of you are missing something. Doesn't it say that the transfer period would be for one week only toward the end of the season? So Kentucky can't use it to restock because the period is before the end of the season, and also you can only bring in the same number of players that you lost to transfer. And there are 2 "one extra" rules in all of this. This rule is primarily for Sophomores and Juniors with limited playing time (under 20 min. per game). Once again, there is the super team rule. The best part is the one where if the coach leaves, you can transfer. It is set up so this is done during specific periods. It is not providing a rotating door all season long. Once your season is set, it is set. This is for a following season. We lose players all the time for all sorts of reasons. So the game is somewhat transient anyways.

You got all that from the linked article?

Why would we read that actual proposed rule, before commenting on what we think the proposed rule is going to do to the game? Leave it to a woman to do the sensible thing.

Are you referring to jncuse's "framework" replies? I think those were just his/her hope for what a change to the rules should look like. Nothing in the article indicated a transfer window, unless I'm missing something. I don't think anything relating to what this could possible look like is out there yet. Hopefully, it'll come out in time.

NO NO NO, this is a terrible idea. I can’t believe the NCAA thinks this is a good idea. W t f. The transfer numbers are going to explode. Coaches and teams will never be able to plan for the following season and as others have said it will further degrade CBB. The NCAA must be in desperation mode at this point to save their own hides from anti-trust issues and loss of their tax exempt status.

Last edited:

That is a framework that I proposed. Not the NCAA one.

Sorry for any miscommunication on my part.

Why would we read that actual proposed rule, before commenting on what we think the proposed rule is going to do to the game? Leave it to a woman to do the sensible thing.

That is what a bored board does. Makes up a set of rules that will never come into play and argues those made up rules.

nvm. Been so busy with work, that I was the one who did not read. JNcuse should work for the NCAA, because those are excellent!! See, I was standing up for you before your proposal was even picked apart!!

It's more likely any rule changes would be more like...the blue blood schools can steal all the players they want from the peasant schools.

I think parity is overrated. I'd much rather do what's fair to the kids - and you could make an argument that if they are retaining their eligibility and scholarship, they are being treated fairly.

Of course, I'd also like to see the NCAA split D1 into an upper and lower division where the upper ones can get endorsements and have fewer restrictions on practice time etc. I'd probably be in favor of a free for all in this scenario.

not a fan of this idea. hard enuf to build a roster now. imagine if they could leave anytime no penalty.

Going off on a tangent ... this is the reverse situation

I also think ethical rules need to be defined in terms of what coaches can and cannot do to force a kid out the door. Sometimes kids don't want to leave and I don't imagine every coach plays it fairly in order to change their mind. (And this is not just telling a kid you might never get minutes - to me that is acceptable)

If a coach is found to violate this code they should be suspended / banned, and the team should be punished harshly.

Good post, I agree with it. I just wonder if it has ever happened with JB?

5 to play 5, and if a kid transfers they sit a year.

Between that and letting student-athletes profit from their own name and likeness you can solve like 95% of the problems the NCAA faces.
Just allow players to transfer without sitting if their coach leaves.
If all transfers don’t have to sit mid major will get killed with tampering from the big boys.
Waaaaaay too logical. You guys aren't thinking like the NCAA.

I do understand there are a lot of nuances, it's just funny to me that we're more worried about the coaches making six figures and the schools making more than that instead of the players who are essentially making nothing from this whole arrangement.

it's a farce already, may as well go the whole way. I usually like when the employee/student has the ability to play where he wants to with minimal restrictions. The entire situation is already glorified free labor anyway masked by higher learning.

A change like this will certainly be a disaster for alot of reasons but it may finally bring some reality to what college sports have become: a complete farce b/c of the amount of money involved now. It's distorted

"A change like this will certainly be a disaster for alot of reasons but it may finally bring some reality to what college sports have become: a complete farce b/c of the amount of money involved now. It's distorted"

the logical extension of this argument is that the universities should be able to pay athletes as much as they want. start a bidding war on the best talent and the wealthiest programs win. you have top players earning more per semester than the coaches or professors do in a career and the whole student aspect is jettisoned altogether. for that matter why restrict eligibility ? if they aren't really students then why not stay 10 years ? take a few classes and play for your employer. we all want free markets after all . why should they be compelled to leave ?

Last edited:
Put some of the responsibility on schools. A player on a free transfer takes up two scholarship slots. Player sits out, only takes up one scholarship. Coach leaves, it should be completely free.

You have one free transfer possible. Rules stick otherwise, no matter whether you’re undergrad or grad.

it's a farce already, may as well go the whole way. I usually like when the employee/student has the ability to play where he wants to with minimal restrictions. The entire situation is already glorified free labor anyway masked by higher learning.

A change like this will certainly be a disaster for alot of reasons but it may finally bring some reality to what college sports have become: a complete farce b/c of the amount of money involved now. It's distorted

Well, it happens in the business world as well. Employer's make certain employees sign non-compete agreements. The one's I've seen generally are for a year after leaving said employer, and it's not always a voluntary departure.