ND 2-0 over ALbany - O'connor owns the X for ND | Syracusefan.com

ND 2-0 over ALbany - O'connor owns the X for ND

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Thompsons haven't touched the ball yet already down 2-0 and ND has the ball again.

Games has tightened up considerably - 5-4 midway through the second. Couple of insane Thompson goals

This 4th qtr is unbelievable! Wow ND just scored again! Go Great Danes

Desko better figure out how to get our together so we can be relevant again in this tourney. I hate watching knowing we screwed the pooch.

Wow, what a, um, 'letdown' for Albany fans.

Not dissimilar from DC missing the front end of a 1-1.

Albany let up too early and too long. And, what a horrible, helpless job at the X. And I believe the one time a Thompson touched it before things were tied up, he got his stick knocked right out of his mitts.

As tough as a tough loss can get.

What a comeback by ND! Heartbreak City for the Great Danes. Guess the other Thompsons aren't all that? I thought they really blew it in the last 2:00 of Reg. Too much one on one by Lyle and not enough offensive movement. Really made it easy for ND to play D.

albany blows a 5 goal lead in the 4th quarter. sucks, i was rooting for them

Miles and Ty are graduating so 4 years with the thompsons and they have 1 tourney win. Lyle's on his own next year, they will be lucky to make the tourney

Miles and Ty are graduating so 4 years with the thompsons and they have 1 tourney win. Lyle's on his own next year, they will be lucky to make the tourney

They were 20 seconds away from not making the tourney this year.

Derek Maltz and Billy Ward ... 4 wins, 1 FF
Miles and Ty ......1 win, 0 FF.

I guess defense and special teams are important. :p

It's like a teacher giving his best lecture on the last day of class.

Albany's veterans learned a valuable lesson today, that they will have not chance to apply next year.

They were 20 seconds away from not making the tourney this year.

Derek Maltz and Billy Ward ... 4 wins, 1 FF
Miles and Ty ...1 win, 0 FF.

I guess defense and special teams are important. :p

And they were 1 possession away from taking their fledgling team to the final 4. They, Bierstein, and Riordan, and maybe #40 there. They were playing 5-6 on 10 at times. Up 5 and the other side of the field let up.

You cannot discount what the Thompsons accomplished. Albany having less success than Syracuse in the playoffs is a pretty myopic angle to this argument.

It's like a teacher giving his best lecture on the last day of class.

Albany's veterans learned a valuable lesson today, that they will have not chance to apply next year.

And they were 1 possession away from taking their fledgling team to the final 4. They, Bierstein, and Riordan, and maybe #40 there. They were playing 5-6 on 10 at times. Up 5 and the other side of the field let up.

You cannot discount what the Thompsons accomplished. Albany having less success than Syracuse in the playoffs is a pretty myopic angle to this argument.
All true, but let's face it - all that offensive talent and 1 post-season win. IMO, bad job by the coaches to not be able to put at least a serviceable defense on the field. Or, one that could get the job done in crunch time. Up 12-7 in the 4th should never result in a loss.

All true, but let's face it - all that offensive talent and 1 post-season win. IMO, bad job by the coaches to not be able to put at least a serviceable defense on the field. Or, one that could get the job done in crunch time. Up 12-7 in the 4th should never result in a loss.

The coaches did do that. Albany's D was smacking 'em around pretty well. Until, they weren't.

To me this was an example of a superior team, ND, bringing their A game when it mattered most. Like what Syracuse hoops didn't do against BC hoops, and Bryant lax. ND is always well coached. They faced a 'trio of destiny' in the Thompsons, and realized that they have 7 who are better than their 7.

I do agree that Albany's coaches were lost. Up 13-12, and you finally get the ball to a Thompson, and he played that faux-lazy one-handed, lean on you and see what you do game. It helped him set some all time records, but led to a turnover at the absolute wrong time. We see this argument on the hoops board all the time. There wasn't too much the Albany coach could do differently. He even tried switching things up at the X. This was a full on letdown by the X and 6 men on one side of the field. In those last 5 minutes their players looked about as lost as we did against Bryant. And Notre Dame really nutted up.

This 1000%. I understand what Swish is saying but bottomline is Albany has pretty much nothing to show for the best offense since the gaits. If I were an Albany fan id be pissed.

If you are an Albany fan, you are either an alum or have a family member on the team. So you really can't be pissed at the greatest season in your program's history.

This 1000%. I understand what Swish is saying but bottomline is Albany has pretty much nothing to show for the best offense since the gaits. If I were an Albany fan id be pissed.
The D laid an egg in the 4th. To me, it's on the coaches - say something, change it up, do something to ensure you get to your first FF ever. I will defer to Swish that they had a serviceable D, but to look so lost in the last minutes of the game is on the coaches, IMO.

The D laid an egg in the 4th. To me, it's on the coaches - say something, change it up, do something to ensure you get to your first FF ever. I will defer to Swish that they had a serviceable D, but to look so lost in the last minutes of the game is on the coaches, IMO.

You might be right. I just don't know what the coaches could have done differently. They burned all their timeouts. A better team caught fire. Realized they were better. And started smacking Albany around. It's on the players to smack back.

I've no reason to defend the Albany coaches. They caught lightning in a bottle when we declined the Thompsons package deal. So, the question is, did they do the best they could? I don't know.

Albany was up 13-7, and touched the ball ball three times during that stretch. The 1st time Bierstein put them up 2. The 2nd time a Thompson go stripped. Game over there, IMO. Could have easily burned a lot of clock. And the 3rd time they got one shot off that bounced off the goalie's helmet. ND's middies were just better. Albany's FOGO created some scrums, even got the ball a few times, only to be surrounded by ND defenders. Albany fell apart on D.

We would've done pretty well with Riordan in goa, and #40 as well.

Whoevers fault it was, it must suuuuuuuuck to be an all in Albany fan right now. I'm not sure a game has ever been more in the bag.

Desko better figure out how to get our together so we can be relevant again in this tourney. I hate watching knowing we screwed the pooch.
SU was pretty relevant last season.

I'd like to get to where Duke is right now, but I'm a spoiled Syracuse fan.

The coaches did do that. Albany's D was smacking 'em around pretty well. Until, they weren't.

To me this was an example of a superior team, ND, bringing their A game when it mattered most. Like what Syracuse hoops didn't do against BC hoops, and Bryant lax. ND is always well coached. They faced a 'trio of destiny' in the Thompsons, and realized that they have 7 who are better than their 7.

I do agree that Albany's coaches were lost. Up 13-12, and you finally get the ball to a Thompson, and he played that faux-lazy one-handed, lean on you and see what you do game. It helped him set some all time records, but led to a turnover at the absolute wrong time. We see this argument on the hoops board all the time. There wasn't too much the Albany coach could do differently. He even tried switching things up at the X. This was a full on letdown by the X and 6 men on one side of the field. In those last 5 minutes their players looked about as lost as we did against Bryant. And Notre Dame really nutted up.
I don't care much for Corrigan as a coach, starting with his sideline demeanor.

Desko has basically owned him. And, if Wardwell hadn't had his worst game (period?) of the year in the ACC finals, the gap would be even larger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom