ND AD Says D1 Breakup is Inevitable | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

ND AD Says D1 Breakup is Inevitable

Black market labor market isn’t that far off and I assure you he doesn’t care. I don’t always agree with him - but he knows the dark underbelly just about better than any other reporter in the business.

It is very far off and being disingenuous or stupid. You pick.

It is very far off and being disingenuous or stupid. You pick.
How much of a gulf in compensation vs tv money for it to be ok? Where’s the right number?

That we *haven’t* even broached the subject until very recently while these p5 schools, coaches, etc have been rolling in it is disgusting.

It’s that gulf that has created the current culture in CFB.

Another example of the differences between the conferences

I think this is a weird argument. Yeah, they account for 43% which makes them the two best conferences with the most money. But 57% of the best talent exists outside of their walls.

Obviously NIL + transfer rule was designed to push those numbers even more. But seems weird.

I think this is a weird argument. Yeah, they account for 43% which makes them the two best conferences with the most money. But 57% of the best talent exists outside of their walls.

Obviously NIL + transfer rule was designed to push those numbers even more. But seems weird.

But it's still *two* conferences accounting for that gap, plus I bet the early rounds of the draft are skewed more to the $EC/B1G. And as you said the gap will only grow more

But it's still *two* conferences accounting for that gap, plus I bet the early rounds of the draft are skewed more to the $EC/B1G. And as you said the gap will only grow more
Yeah, it’s def not good. I’m just wondering if they realize a super league of 30 teams is too small to account for all of the best talent, even with player pay and loose transfer rules.

Yeah, it’s def not good. I’m just wondering if they realize a super league of 30 teams is too small to account for all of the best talent, even with player pay and loose transfer rules.
And the majority of Americans will tune out, most Americans won't care about a minor football League.
ESPN and Fox are going to regret the day they gave so much power to 2 conferences.

And the majority of Americans will tune out, most Americans won't care about a minor football League.
ESPN and Fox are going to regret the day they gave so much power to 2 conferences.
I would agree with this but for gambling money.

I completely agree with Matt Barrie.
How!? If it’s the right thing morally (it is) then “screaming” for change that is long overdue is morally correct, plan or not. Putting the blame on people for advocating for change rather than the perpetrators of an immoral system is awful. He’s a part of that system at ESPN.

I've heard a lot of thoughts on paying athletes as being horrible and one we might bow out of.

But if you hate the pure free market NIL and the thought of our best players getting poached on the regular by the SEC and B1G with little recourse - than maybe pay to play has some advantages? If you're paying a player, there is a contract involved. Contracts can have clauses where you'd have to be traded, or there's a transfer fee (like soccer). Unions can be helpful and hurtful to the cause as well.

I don't know that we'd do this. But it is interesting to think about the positives of being a professional, namely you'd get all of the established rules that govern employment.