ND on the East Coast | Syracusefan.com

ND on the East Coast

StillJimPA

Walk On
It's late, and I know I am getting petty, but a thought on another factor occurred to me.

The East Coast has been historically very important to ND going back to the Rockne era. The Northeast has the highest concentration of Irish Catholics in the country. It is really the historical tap root of ND's popularity.

I don't expect ND to join the ACC, and if they don't the ACC may very well snag UConn and Rutgers. This means the ACC would have locked up every major metropolitan area on the East Coast along with the home teams.

Now, no one would openly state it but scheduling could become very difficult for ND on the East Coast. It would leave Navy and Army available more or less on demand but that is about it. Something for ND to consider in their deliberations.

Even if they do eventually join the B1G, I would still expect them to play one east coast team per year. Likely one (or more) of BC, Navy Syracuse or Pitt.

I wouldn't see them making a conference jump for quite a while. They may announce one, but they'd ease into it. It might take several years before they were all in.

Who knows what ND will do or where they'll end up. One thing's for sure, they're being backed into a corner, and I don't mind seeing that happen at all. Less power, less control, less options.

I guess what I like about all this is that ND is not dictating the rules of the game - I really dont care about them much anymore...