ND & the ACC... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ND & the ACC...

New rumor (from Orangebloods, the Texas PR machine), that Texas is pushing to get ND in the Big 12 for all but football.

Virgina and Virginia Tech are joined at the hip, politically. After all the state had to do to shoot down our invitation to the ACC in 2003, they are not going to let VT waltz off the the B1G. Not unless UVa is in tow. And that ain't gonna happen. Ever.

New rumor (from Orangebloods, the Texas PR machine), that Texas is pushing to get ND in the Big 12 for all but football.

Interesting. Not sure it makes much sense from ND's point of view, but interesting nonetheless .

orange79-it is also an Orangebloods reporter who has been reported to have started the Mizzou administrator inside who said the prefer the Big 10-when in fact he made it up. ND is not coming to the Big 12.

orange79-it is also an Orangebloods reporter who has been reported to have started the Mizzou administrator inside who said the prefer the Big 10-when in fact he made it up. ND is not coming to the Big 12.

He's flat out denied that all day.

Usually I agree with you but on this I really don't. Virginia did not want VT in the ACC and I'm pretty sure they still aren't too thrilled with them there, especially having them rammed down their proverbial throats. The B1G wants new markets and if they could get UV they fit academically in with everything the B1G wants. The B1G likes Maryland, why would UV be such a stretch?

My understanding from the B1G point of view is that the Big Ten likes both schools (though they favor Maryland), but while Maryland has shown interest, Virginia hasn't shown much (if any). Virginia is more concerned with keeping its traditional rivalries and isn't as willing to move.

I think Maryland to the Big Ten is very possible in the future, I'm not sure Virginia would accept if they were invited.

Orangebloods is a disgrace to the word Orange. That site should be banned or at the least, forced to change its name to BurntOrangeBloods.

My understanding from the B1G point of view is that the Big Ten likes both schools (though they favor Maryland), but while Maryland has shown interest, Virginia hasn't shown much (if any). Virginia is more concerned with keeping its traditional rivalries and isn't as willing to move.

I think Maryland to the Big Ten is very possible in the future, I'm not sure Virginia would accept if they were invited.

I agree but we also don't know who or if the ACC is going to go to 16. UV and the ACC seem to be on the academic side which is very good and that should keep UV around it's if the ACC bends and adds a school or 2 that would not be a higher quality academic and if that were to happen and let's face it, the B1G has academics and cash, it may be the right move to make.

Again, I am not saying they are leaving but UV has struggled since VT has been there athletically. I think it has effected their recruiting and if they went to the B1G they would be in a different conference than VT again and it would give the hs kids in va a choice to go to the ACC or B1G.

I understand about the tradition and I hope that and other pluses keep UV in the ACC along w/Maryland.

How does T.C.U.’s decision affect Notre Dame? Sometimes amid the realignment frenzy, it is easy to focus on the chum instead of the fish. Notre Dame is one of the biggest fish in college sports, and a destabilized Big East may force its future toward a conference in football. The eyes of administrators around the country are on the Irish athletic director, Jack Swarbrick.

“Everyone is waiting for Jack to figure out what he’s going to do,” the Colonial Athletic Association commissioner, Tom Yeager, said.

The Irish will not be keen on staying in the Big East if the conference’s football side dissolves. Notre Dame has not entered discussions with the Atlantic Coast Conference or the Big Ten. But as the future of Big East football dims, the possibility of those conferences as landing places increases considerably.

The best possibility for Notre Dame is finding a partial landing spot in the A.C.C. That could mean Notre Dame’s basketball and non-revenue sports teams would become full-fledged A.C.C. members. In football, Notre Dame could set up a scheduling agreement with the A.C.C. in which it would play a certain number of the conference teams each season yet keep its football independence. Television executives believe that each Notre Dame game could be worth about $3 million for the league.

If Notre Dame did this, UConn, not Rutgers, would round out the A.C.C. as the 16th member. It is likely the Irish would enter a creative scheduling agreement before entering a conference as a full member. (The Big 12 has also been amenable to such a deal, but the A.C.C. would probably be Notre Dame’s preference.)

Jim Delany, the Big Ten commissioner, has been adamant about not expanding, but it is no secret that he has always had eyes for the Irish. He would not, however, agree to a partial deal for Notre Dame football.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/07/s...ristian-putting-football-future-in-doubt.html

I'm scratching my head.

Why on earth would faculty care?

They care a tremendous amount. You later ask about collaboration, the Big Ten really does and it generates money. And the ACC has been working hard on improving their model. Not only do the care, the ACC recognizes they should have a real voice. 1/3 of the ACC expansion committee were faculty.