Neat story | Syracusefan.com

Neat story

CuseTroop

Vegas Mole Person
A guy sat next to me at half time.. We spoke for a bit, and he heard me hootin and hollering about the game. He saw the bartender and all the cocktail girls wearing orange Syracuse shirts the I brought them, and had to have seen the 8 foot syracuse banner that I hung up.. With about 50 seconds to go, I yelled "hell yea Syracuse!" and he turns and says "oh, we're watching a Syracuse game?" I looked at him like he was crazy, I mean, I've been yelling about the game the whole time he was here... He goes "I went to Syracuse.. Graduated in '57". Blew my mind. He watched Jim brown play, was at the temple game where a player was killed? (idk anything about that, fill me in?) worked at the "corner store" and said Ernie Davis and his buddy's used to come and and steal candy bars, he said he was to small to stop them lol. Thought that was cool... Fairbanks Alaska... SU is everywhere

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3ctg5m

Orange Nation!!!!

Cool story. Don't know anything about a game where someone was killed. SWC? You're on the clock.

I've been learning a lot about Fairbanks recently for a consulting project I'm working on. I might pm you in the coming weeks to get some first hand knowledge on a certain topic that I believe you are familiar with. Don't you work in the petroleum industry?

Orange Nation!!!!

Cool story. Don't know anything about a game where someone was killed. SWC? You're on the clock.
I was banking on. SWC filling me in.. Also SWC, he said jack lovettes owned the store, and had a neat story about a man named Dutch Lawerson might have misspelled that, his son was a city cop.. I'm trying to remember the story, I'm a little buzzed, had to do section 314's shots for him lol figured SWC might know what he's talking about

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?gwfqp4

I've been learning a lot about Fairbanks recently for a consulting project I'm working on. I might pm you in the coming weeks to get some first hand knowledge on a certain topic that I believe you are familiar with. Don't you work in the petroleum industry?
I'm Army, but I am sure I can put you in touch with some people that you would want to talk to. PM me, let me know what your looking for, and give me a few days, my bar has everyone. They would be glad to help

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?urai40

Fairbanks is awesome. Lived there briefly myself!

you talking oil drillers? North slope guys? Suit and tie guy guys? Let me know.. Talked to a few guys tonight, but it's hard with out knowing what your looking for

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tckgy4

There was a player on a visiting FB team, maybe Temple back in the early 50's who I believe died after a game. By the way, please don't call anyone from the class of '57 old. From my perspective he's a kid.

I PMed SWC about the the player who died after a game. His response:

Boston University, 1953. Here is an excerpt from my report on that game, part of my "Bold Brave Men of Archbold" series:

"The game seemed like a normal game most of the afternoon. No one knew that one of the participants would not survive it. The newspaper account of the game is spare, as if the reporters were more interested in the other story of the day, as well they should have been. There were only three pictures of the game published, all very small and none showing a score. They do reveal that Syracuse was in it’s white jerseys with orange helmet and pants while BU was in scarlet and white, with the helmets and pants white. The first shot was of Joe Terrasi carrying the ball to the SU 1 foot line in the first quarter, just before the first score, Lyle Carleson fumbling a white colored football at an unknown juncture of the game and a picture of BU guard John Pappas, #55, in game action, watching a tackle being made “about an hour…before he lapsed into unconsciousness“...

...Early in the fourth period of this game, Boston U was lining up for a play after moving from their 10 to the 30 on “seven hard-fought running plays” when guard John Pappas sank to one knee and told his teammates “I was banged on a play or two before.” It was the last thing he ever said. He passed out and never regained consciousness. He died at 3:30AM the following morning. His parents arrived at Hancock Airport at 5:30AM and were taken by cab to the Hotel Onondaga where Coach Donelli had to tell them that their son was dead.

An autopsy at University Hospital determined Pappas died of “an unusual hemorrhage to the middle brain, which caused impairment of vital body processes“, but there had been no fracture. Dr. Edward Swift said “It’s very unusual in football when a player who suffers a head injury isn’t knocked out.” He labeled it “a freak accident”, saying “He suddenly went bad and died.“ A picture in the paper of Pappas in action earlier in the game shows him without any face-mask: but nobody else has one, either.
Both coachers agreed that the game wasn’t unusually rough and it was reported that the players on both teams were very friendly to each other after the game. SU Athletic Director Lew Andreas said that relations between the schools had always been good and there was no reason to believe that would change. Donelli said that as far as he knew, the Terriers would play the remaining games on their schedule. SU and BU would continue to play every year through 1960.

There was some talk that the injury was due to the one-platoon system being too much for Pappas and potentially other players to handle but Donelli said that in his career Pappas had played as much as 55 minutes in a game under the two platoon system and not been injured.

A telegram was sent to Boston U. and to Pappas family, signed by the men’s and women’s student government heads at SU, offering condolences and saying they would like to attend the funeral. 1000 people were in attendance, including all 50 of Papas’ teammates. A collection was taken among the crowd at Boston U’s next game against Penn State to establish a memorial fund. At the end of the season, SU’s players named John Pappas the captain of their All-opponent team.

Bill Reddy wrote: “The death of John Pappas, the fine young senior guard on the Boston University team., was a shocking affair and his family an teammates receive all our sympathy. This is the first fatality suffered as a result of an injury suffered in Archbold Stadium since the big concrete bowl was built in 1909 and the medical findings still are incomplete. There is a possibility, based on studies which have not been fully checked, that a pre-game injury, entirely unsuspected, led up to Pappas’ death. Regardless of everything else, however, it is a sad outcome for any game. It casts a pall over both squads and leaves football itself in an ignoble light.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom