need better offense to cut down the nets | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

need better offense to cut down the nets

if we wanna win the whole damn thing? yes

Totally disagree with this. We were one possession (charge on triche) away from playing for the title in 13.

Did Nova change everything this year when they got outed early the last three years? No.

We are literally knocking on the door every year but 2015. You don't make wholesale changes when your this close to the top.

Now do we need better players at the 5 and 1 to have a better chance than this year? Yes.

Totally disagree with this. We were one possession (charge on triche) away from playing for the title in 13.

Did Nova change everything this year when they got outed early the last three years? No.

We are literally knocking on the door every year but 2015. You don't make wholesale changes when your this close to the top.

Now do we need better players at the 5 and 1 to have a better chance than this year? Yes.

but the michigan game is my point. if we played just an average game offensively we win. we had 1 guy play well. and its not like we played great offensively that tournament, its just our D was playing out of its mind. 2014 we made 1 outside shot in the tourny loss to dayton. ONE!!! maybe not wholesale changes but we need to be much better offensively to win it all. if we were gonna win it this year we would have needed to score in the upper 70s low 80s to win both games, we havent had a team capable of scoring like that in awhile.

but the michigan game is my point. if we played just an average game offensively we win. we had 1 guy play well. and its not like we played great offensively that tournament, its just our D was playing out of its mind. 2014 we made 1 outside shot in the tourny loss to dayton. ONE!!! maybe not wholesale changes but we need to be much better offensively to win it all. if we were gonna win it this year we would have needed to score in the upper 70s low 80s to win both games, we havent had a team capable of scoring like that in awhile.

Well MCW and Southerland were horrible against Michigan so I agree with that. Even with a lack of outside shooting, that team still finished in the top 30 of offensive efficiency.

I think the players needed to play better in the games you mentioned. We clearly improved our outside shooting this year, now we just need an inside prescence. As far as you saying we need to score in the 70's and 80's to win, I don't completely buy that, because most of the reason we don't score a lot of points has more to do with the pace of play and less to do with the effectiveness of our offense.

If you don't like the pace of play, thats an entirely different problem. When we last averaged 80 a game in 2009 and 2010 those teams averaged 6 more possessions per game than this team did. So even if this team was as efficient as those teams we still would score 6 less points per game because we just don't get the possessions we used to.

Well MCW and Southerland were horrible against Michigan so I agree with that. Even with a lack of outside shooting, that team still finished in the top 30 of offensive efficiency.

I think the players needed to play better in the games you mentioned. We clearly improved our outside shooting this year, now we just need an inside prescence. As far as you saying we need to score in the 70's and 80's to win, I don't completely buy that, because most of the reason we don't score a lot of points has more to do with the pace of play and less to do with the effectiveness of our offense.

If you don't like the pace of play, thats an entirely different problem. When we last averaged 80 a game in 2009 and 2010 those teams averaged 6 more possessions per game than this team did. So even if this team was as efficient as those teams we still would score 6 less points per game because we just don't get the possessions we used to.

we dont need to average 80, we just need to be capable of doing that. i dont think this team or the 2013 team was capable of that in the final 4. the 2003 team was, thats why we won. we werent gonna hold north carolina and villanova to 64 points or whatever, defense can only take us so far.

we dont need to average 80, we just need to be capable of doing that. i dont think this team or the 2013 team was capable of that in the final 4. the 2003 team was, thats why we won. we werent gonna hold north carolina and villanova to 64 points or whatever, defense can only take us so far.

In 2013 we scored 80 in 11 games, including 91 at Arkansas. As that season went on, teams tried to drag us through rock fights by limiting the number of possessions per game. The slowdown against the zone has been gradually happening since 2009. That team and the 2016 teams both averaged 65 possessions per game. The 2010 team averaged 70. If we played as many possessions now, as we did then, we would of scored 78 ppg this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom