Need some honest answers here re: Syracuse garb | Syracusefan.com

Need some honest answers here re: Syracuse garb

OttosBestFriend

2nd String
My entire family (immediate, extended, and in-laws) all know me as the biggest Syracuse sports fan going...

But a particular relative repeatedly gets my two sons ( ages 5&7) gifts with the mascot-logo-name of THEIR favorite team, not Syracuse.

To make matters worse, it's a team I hate. (Alabama)

This is officially driving me nuts, but my wife says, "it's no big deal" and "get over it."

So I ask you, if someone close repeatedly gave your kids tees, sweatshirts, and jackets supporting their team and not yours, Would it bother you?

And, if yes, What would you do?

There's only one response when someone does an act so vile and disgusting as that.

"Roll Tide."

Fortunately, this has been pretty well avoided in my house. My wife and all of her family knows that I am a diehard Syracuse fan, and despite her family being big UT supporters, I've been able to avoid it because I made it abundantly clear I just would not have it. I mean really, not gonna happen.

Now, it's a little different when it comes to the NFL. I'm an Eagles fan, and my mother in law's husband is from Jersey and is a Giants fan, so my kid currently has more Giants stuff than Eagles stuff hanging in his closet. I can mostly get over that, because at least it's not the Cowboys. The closest we've come there is a stuffed Tony Romo that my brother in law bought for him.

My wife thinks I'm insane and close minded. I think she just doesn't understand sports and being a true fan.

I don't see a problem with it. Believe it or not, your kids might end up liking a team other than Syracuse anyways. Besides, it's not like it's Georgetown or Yukon. The only time I would have a problem with it is if Cuse was playing Bama and they were sporting the Tide.

I wear a lot of Syracuse garb myself, but a couple years ago, my niece who graduated from Univ of Arizona bought me a U of A cap. I happen to like the way it fits and looks, so I wear it quite a bit. I don't think any less of myself for it.

It absolutely would bother me and I would tell them it did.

A friend of mine did that when my son was born - I proceeded to use the shirt as a diaper and regift it after it was used. Granted, it was an arch rival's shirt and he thought it was funny.

Fortunately, this has been pretty well avoided in my house. My wife and all of her family knows that I am a diehard Syracuse fan, and despite her family being big UT supporters, I've been able to avoid it because I made it abundantly clear I just would not have it. I mean really, not gonna happen.

Now, it's a little different when it comes to the NFL. I'm an Eagles fan, and my mother in law's husband is from Jersey and is a Giants fan, so my kid currently has more Giants stuff than Eagles stuff hanging in his closet. I can mostly get over that, because at least it's not the Cowboys. The closest we've come there is a stuffed Tony Romo that my brother in law bought for him.

My wife thinks I'm insane and close minded. I think she just doesn't understand sports and being a true fan.
Oh, you mean a voodoo doll.

Everyone close to me knows to only buy Cuse gear. Period. Every single relative and friend i have is a cuse diehard so it makes it easier. I would giveaway or return any other team apparelwithout thinking twice. Anyone that buys someone an opposing teams gear for someone other than their favorite team is NOT a sports fan. Period..or they are just a straight up dbag.

My sister in law and brother in law live in Ohio. For the first few years of my childrens lives, they continued buying Ohio State gear. I HATE OHIO STATE...and they know it. Every time they received gear, it ended up missing in my house. (it all got sent to goodwill)

Well after year three, they asked me why they never saw our kids in Ohio State gear. I very firmly...and in no uncertain terms...told them my boys root for the Syracuse Orangemen. They stopped getting Ohio State gear.

I'm like you ... wouldn't be wearing it. There will be no Penn State gear in my house. There will be no Georgetown gear (or any other former Big East hoops only) in my house. The stuff goes to goodwill or is used to wash the car, dog or whatever. Most folks simply don't understand it and think I'm a bit over the top. Then again, the priceless shock my mother-in-law got when she asked my seven year old daughter a very simple question: "What time is it?" and my precious daughter's retort: "It's 5:05 and Georgetown still sucks!" led to some shaking of heads and cross stares.

It absolutely would bother me and I would tell them it did.

A friend of mine did that when my son was born - I proceeded to use the shirt as a diaper and regift it after it was used. Granted, it was an arch rival's shirt and he thought it was funny.

Ditto.

My entire family (immediate, extended, and in-laws) all know me as the biggest Syracuse sports fan going...

But a particular relative repeatedly gets my two sons ( ages 5&7) gifts with the mascot-logo-name of THEIR favorite team, not Syracuse.

This is officially driving me nuts, but my wife says, "it's no big deal" and "get over it."

So I ask you, if someone close repeatedly gave your kids tees, sweatshirts, and jackets supporting their team and not yours, Would it bother you?

Cut up, they will make great dust rags, just don't put them on the kids. When we lived in Michigan, my kids were always easily recognized because they wore SU garb a lot (and nobody else's) .

Well, I repeatedly give my daughter's best friend Syracuse gear for Christmas even though his mother went to Georgetown. The best thing is that his mother was running out to the grocery store one morning and thought her hair looked nappy and there was her son's Syracuse baseball cap right by the front door. She clenched her teeth and wore it. Mission accomplished.

If your wife didn't got to Bama send it back. I've sent back Yankee gear, Braves gear and for some odd reason got Terp gear once which was promptly returned.

Are you local to Alabama? People know I'm a Syracuse fan, but people have given me BYU stuff for my son, and if they give him Utah Utes stuff I'm ok with it because those are the teams around here.

If someone gave me a Syracuse rival though... the kid wouldn't wear it. Straight to the donation bin.

And I understand it's unlikely that he'll follow Syracuse sports like I do. He's free to make his own choice. I'm just not going to encourage it.

A few of us could come to your house for an intervention for the wife. Then she could become part of your orange insanity.

A few of us could come to your house for an intervention for the wife. Then she could become part of your orange insanity.
She's a Syracuse well-wisher, at least. She's got SU gear, and she's been to a game at the Dome and another game in Philly against Nova. She just doesn't quite understand my SU insanity. That's also probably why she's dragging me to a 2 year old's birthday party at the exact same time as the Pinstripe Bowl.

By the way, the gift I'm most proud of getting for my son this year?

A size 2T Syracuse basketball CJ Fair jersey. It'll be a little big on him now, but should fit him perfectly in April when we are winning a national title and he's turning 2. And, fittingly, his first two initials are CJ and my wife's favorite number is 5. Everything is aligning...

What about Gopher gear? :)

Nice :).

Yeah, Gopher gear is allowed. And every time my kids sport Gopher gear, should I remotely comment, I get reminded of the scoreboard for the past three games ... ugh.

If your kids have told you that Alabama is their favorite team, then you have to put up with it. If not, inform the giver they'd be better off throwing their money directly in the trash can themselves because giving gifts is clearly about them and not about who they are giving them to.

UPDATE: Despite my VERY POLITELY informing my mother-in-law that the "Alabama" gifts were not appreciated by me, she did it again... Crimson tee, hoodie and sweatpants for each son.

BUT, several people at Christmas dinner (including her own sister) gave her sh#t for doing this.

I did not react when said "Alabama" gifts were opened and never asked anyone to make a big thing of it... Everyone came to my defense on their own.

And to answer the question of a few, NO, my kids at ages 5 & 7 have never told me Alabama is their favorite team.

They'll tell anyone who's listening that they love 'Cuse and often cheer "Let's Go Orange" and "Cuuuuuuuuuuse!" whenever they see an orange-clad team on TV - whether it's Syracuse or not.

UPDATE: Despite my VERY POLITELY informing my mother-in-law that the "Alabama" gifts were not appreciated by me, she did it again... Crimson tee, hoodie and sweatpants for each son.

BUT, several people at Christmas dinner (including her own sister) gave her sh#t for doing this.

I did not react when said "Alabama" gifts were opened and never asked anyone to make a big thing of it... Everyone came to my defense on their own.

And to answer the question of a few, NO, my kids at ages 5 & 7 have never told me Alabama is their favorite team.

They'll tell anyone who's listening that they love 'Cuse and often cheer "Let's Go Orange" and "Cuuuuuuuuuuse!" whenever they see an orange-clad team on TV - whether it's Syracuse or not.
You can tell her thank you. After all, you were looking for some more donations to give to goodwill.

Yes, it would bother me, but I'm happy to donate clothes to those in need (and I say that in all seriousness). If I can afford to give my kids clothes, I take the ones I don't want and donate them to charity.

And, I would think, that an Alabama-specific charity would have lots of needy kids that are Alabama fans.

I'd throw them in the fireplace when I got home and put the entire thing on youtube.

I could care less, the way my kids ruin clothes it won't be around for long... As most of my family graduated from BC, my wife UOregon, (undergrad, masters, ABD) Ducks gear is solid,BC been around it all my life.. Doesn't bother me at all... As my brother lives in the Bay Area, we get a ton of CAL stuff too as my sister in law graduated from there.