Need some honest answers here re: Syracuse garb | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Need some honest answers here re: Syracuse garb

Tell your sons you are taking them to Alabama for spring break. No, not Disney World or a Carnival Cruise of the Caribean, Alabama. Spend a week driving around the state feeding them only catfish, boiled peanuts and pork rinds. When they begin crying for mercy after day 2, show them some Cuse t-shirts and tell them they can go home as soon as they return to the good side. Toss Bama crap in the trash can on your way to the Atlanta airport.

My entire family (immediate, extended, and in-laws) all know me as the biggest Syracuse sports fan going...

But a particular relative repeatedly gets my two sons ( ages 5&7) gifts with the mascot-logo-name of THEIR favorite team, not Syracuse.

To make matters worse, it's a team I hate. (Alabama)

This is officially driving me nuts, but my wife says, "it's no big deal" and "get over it."

So I ask you, if someone close repeatedly gave your kids tees, sweatshirts, and jackets supporting their team and not yours, Would it bother you?

And, if yes, What would you do?

I presume you live in Alabama, in which case you probably need to roll with it. If you don't, though, into the trash with that stuff.

Buy the gifter Auburn gear.
That should get the message through.
And in the spirit of the season, be thankful your sons aren't getting G-town items...which, of course, would have to be burned to prevent the possibility of contaminating others.

I don't see any real harm in her buying Alabama stuff...my cousin just had a baby (she and her husband are both Notre Dame alums) and I fully plan on buying SU gifts. However, I do love the idea of buying her Auburn stuff.

When my son was born I was upfront with those I expected might be troublemakers . I said you may think it is funny to buy him something that says Red Sox or G'town but I will not. I will be polite and say thank you and as soon as you leave it will hit the trash.

My wife and I have a bit of a tradition... Please don't judge but we douse all opposing team gear whether gift or otherwise in 2 parts gasoline and one part naphthenic acid and palmitic acid. We usually get it all ready and let little Johny light it right when he gets off the school bus. I know some of you may think this is bad parenting but hey at least Johnny doesn't get bullied anymore. Besides after Johnny got his Cuse' tattoo on his 7th B-Day auntie B stopped sending him uCON gear.

As to Auntie Alabama... (As a child I had this same Aunt and she was also from Alabama) I'm guessing her kids are grown or she has none. Simply state you recognize her right to root for her team, but until she starts funding your kids college fund she has no right to buy such mediocre clothing.

PAYBACK!
I would have your boys put on the gear and fire up the video camera, now allow them a budget of $20 each to fund the destruction of these clothes in the most creative way possible. Of course !! Don't forget to say thank you on camera..."Destruction of all things Alabama is what we most look forward to during the holiday season, it has become a xxx family tradition... Thanks Aunt xx" Then share the destruction on camera and vote on the winning idea.

Then maybe you can all piss on the smoldering merch before you fade the video to black.
Now of course ya gotta bring the whole family out on video for a bow wearing cuse gear from head toe.

She will be livid and will never buy this merch again.

My wife and I have a bit of a tradition... Please don't judge but we douse all opposing team gear whether gift or otherwise in 2 parts gasoline and one part naphthenic acid and palmitic acid. We usually get it all ready and let little Johny light it right when he gets off the school bus. I know some of you may think this is bad parenting but hey at least Johnny doesn't get bullied anymore. Besides after Johnny got his Cuse' tattoo on his 7th B-Day auntie B stopped sending him uCON gear.

As to Auntie Alabama... (As a child I had this same Aunt and she was also from Alabama) I'm guessing her kids are grown or she has none. Simply state you recognize her right to root for her team, but until she starts funding your kids college fund she has no right to buy such mediocre clothing.

PAYBACK!
I would have your boys put on the gear and fire up the video camera, now allow them a budget of $20 each to fund the destruction of these clothes in the most creative way possible. Of course !! Don't forget to say thank you on camera..."Destruction of all things Alabama is what we most look forward to during the holiday season, it has become a xxx family tradition... Thanks Aunt xx" Then share the destruction on camera and vote on the winning idea.

Then maybe you can all piss on the smoldering merch before you fade the video to black.
Now of course ya gotta bring the whole family out on video for a bow wearing cuse gear from head toe.

She will be livid and will never buy this merch again.
Yup, these are our posters.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

UPDATE: Despite my VERY POLITELY informing my mother-in-law that the "Alabama" gifts were not appreciated by me, she did it again... Crimson tee, hoodie and sweatpants for each son.

BUT, several people at Christmas dinner (including her own sister) gave her sh#t for doing this.

I did not react when said "Alabama" gifts were opened and never asked anyone to make a big thing of it... Everyone came to my defense on their own.

And to answer the question of a few, NO, my kids at ages 5 & 7 have never told me Alabama is their favorite team.

They'll tell anyone who's listening that they love 'Cuse and often cheer "Let's Go Orange" and "Cuuuuuuuuuuse!" whenever they see an orange-clad team on TV - whether it's Syracuse or not.

Was this at your house?

If so, the next Christmas dinner she attends there should have this flying high when she pulls into the driveway

images

And the colors well match the rest of the SU gear you have on display as well

It is moments such as that when the universe is perfectly aligned.

I'm like you ... wouldn't be wearing it. There will be no Penn State gear in my house. There will be no Georgetown gear (or any other former Big East hoops only) in my house. The stuff goes to goodwill or is used to wash the car, dog or whatever. Most folks simply don't understand it and think I'm a bit over the top. Then again, the priceless shock my mother-in-law got when she asked my seven year old daughter a very simple question: "What time is it?" and my precious daughter's retort: "It's 5:05 and Georgetown still sucks!" led to some shaking of heads and cross stares.

It would bother me yes. I would talk to the person and let them know that we are Syracuse fans in my household and ask them to respect that.

If it kept happening I might make it known that I am just going to return everything.

First, buy your own sons Syracuse sweatshirts, then keep asking them which one they like best until they give the right answer. Waterboarding isn't necessary, but withholding of food might be an option.

Then let them wear their Alabama sweats as pajamas, but only wear Cuse gear in public. You can tell the in-laws that the kids wear their Tide togs every day but prefer the Cuse attire and you won't be lying. End of problem.-VBOF

My entire family (immediate, extended, and in-laws) all know me as the biggest Syracuse sports fan going...

But a particular relative repeatedly gets my two sons ( ages 5&7) gifts with the mascot-logo-name of THEIR favorite team, not Syracuse.

This is officially driving me nuts, but my wife says, "it's no big deal" and "get over it."

So I ask you, if someone close repeatedly gave your kids tees, sweatshirts, and jackets supporting their team and not yours, Would it bother you?

I think I might teach my kids how to burn stuff in the fireplace.

My niece is a Freshman at Providence and she got me a Friars banner this year --- I'm gonna keep it just cause that's her school --- but I am certainly not going to be rooting for the Friars anytime soon (unless I have money on them!).

I FEEL your pain... it absolutely turns my stomach when I see my little man (4 yrs old) wearing a DUKE t-shirt. My in-laws even got him a bed time story about Duke. To make things worse, my son used to occasionally request that I read it to him. Having to read about the Cameron Crazies and how the Blue Devils won the game makes me want to vomit in my mouth. Fortunately, he no longer asks for this story to be read any longer.

I respect the heck out of the Duke basketball program. It's the fans who I generally don't care for as so many of them have an elitist attitude. You see, my wife is a huge Duke fan. She is actually the only one of her family who didn't attend. Her dad, mom, sister, and brother all attended Duke.

That all being said, as much as it turns my stomach, I get it. My wife loves Duke (as does her family) so a couple of Duke items is reasonable. However, some jackass who went to NU and is a co-worker of my wife's, got my son a Nebraska outfit for his last birthday. I still don't get that one. The day after my son's b-day, I took the outfit and hid it (later I tossed it in the garbage). He never once wore that thing. Not sure why people do things like this.

Gifts are often for the giver as much as they are for the recipient.

I dont know if it fits in this thread, but my wife requested that I stop buying her Syracuse gear for Christmas and Bdays. I guess the "All Orange Christmas of '10" was too much for her.

I dont know if it fits in this thread, but my wife requested that I stop buying her Syracuse gear for Christmas and Bdays. I guess the "All Orange Christmas of '10" was too much for her.
Oh, that fits.

I don't get why a lot of women don't think that Orange is a fashion color. Why they don't think that Orange goes well with other colors. If that's the case, just match up orange with more orange. Unless of course you are suiting up for football. That might be just a little too much orange.

th

To the OP:

Your response should be simple and direct. Tell the family that your kids are only allowed to root for schools that require more than a learner's permit in order to gain acceptance.

Let me know how that goes...

Gifts are often for the giver as much as they are for the recipient.

Yes, and in some cases, gifts are all for the giver like that Nebraska outfit that is in a landfill somewhere. :)