Negative recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Negative recruiting

PhatOrange

Living Legend
An eye opening article tonight with some good tidbits. Dino says himself schools shifted from negative recruiting the Syracuse losing to negative recruiting against him leaving. Says they needed to get that eliminated with the extension.

Dino Babers on contract extension: ‘I know now that they believe in me’

“There were a lot of things to fix,” Babers said, “and as long as the left hand is helping the right hand and the administration and the community and the student body, if everybody is working together, we can do great things here.”

Last edited:
I always thought the extent of it, beyond the losing, was that it was always cold, that you had to walk through tunnels to get to class or go anywhere because there was 15 feet of snow, and that you had to become Canadian and speak French. I didn't know.

Unfortunately negative recruiting is nothing new. To me it is stupid because kids are bright enough to realize what is going on and they won't respect or commit to the school doing the negative
recruiting.
Based on how the average voter behaves at the polls, I wouldn’t be so sure. Negative advertising (recruiting) can definitely work on some. Glad he’s being out and open about it. Says a lot about his commitment to winning here.

Unfortunately negative recruiting is nothing new. To me it is stupid because kids are bright enough to realize what is going on and they won't respect or commit to the school doing the negative recruiting.
I thought it worked for Schiano.

Unfortunately negative recruiting is nothing new. To me it is stupid because kids are bright enough to realize what is going on and they won't respect or commit to the school doing the negative recruiting.
What color is the sky in your optimist world? ;)

The product on the field is only going to get better. I know I wear orange colored glasses, but if I was the parent of a perspective player or that player himself, I would love to play for a coach who has the charisma of Dino and who stresses the family atmosphere. More importantly, I would love to play for a coach who stresses that he wants his players to grow to be great men, not just football players.

The product on the field is only going to get better. I know I wear orange colored glasses, but if I was the parent of a perspective player or that player himself, I would love to play for a coach who has the charisma of Dino and who stresses the family atmosphere. More importantly, I would love to play for a coach who stresses that he wants his players to grow to be great men, not just football players.

Something Dawson said stood out to me. Basically said he noticed how the older guys, even though they weren't his players, loved him and all hung out with the younger guys. imo, that speaks volumes of HCDB and the culture that's been set. It really is a family. A lot of coaches say it, but Dino actually has it.

Last edited:
Something Dawson said stood out to me. Basically said he noticed how the older guys, even though they weren't his players, loved him and all hung out with the younger guys. imo, that speaks volumes of HCDB and the culture that's been set. It really is a family. A lot of coaches say it, but Dino has actually has it.
Some things you can't fake. And sometimes the real s&*% sells itself.

An eye opening article tonight with some good tidbits. Dino says himself schools shifted from negative recruiting the Syracuse losing to negative recruiting against him leaving. Says they needed to get that eliminated with the extension.

Dino Babers on contract extension: ‘I know now that they believe in me’

“There were a lot of things to fix,” Babers said, “and as long as the left hand is helping the right hand and the administration and the community and the student body, if everybody is working together, we can do great things here.”
I know of one rival team's coach who negatively recruited and know exactly what he said.

I know of one rival team's coach who negatively recruited and know exactly what he said.

Yeah, I think the narrative up until a week ago was definitely out there, it's a competitive market with coaches getting paid a lot of money in a profession where it's win or you will be replaced, this stuff goes on ALL DAY and everywhere and probably even worse than most realize. When a HC gets fired their next job will most likely result in a 75% pay decrease, stakes are pretty high and unfortunately what feeds the furnace is talented 18 year old kids who can help them keep their jobs or upgrade the coaching stock. Kind of disgusting when you really think about it and no coach is squeaky clean.

Yeah, I think the narrative up until a week ago was definitely out there, it's a competitive market with coaches getting paid a lot of money in a profession where it's win or you will be replaced, this stuff goes on ALL DAY and everywhere and probably even worse than most realize. When a HC gets fired their next job will most likely result in a 75% pay decrease, stakes are pretty high and unfortunately what feeds the furnace is talented 18 year old kids who can help them keep their jobs or upgrade the coaching stock. Kind of disgusting when you really think about it and no coach is squeaky clean.
agree

All a rival coach would have to do is send a recruit to this forum to see all of the hand wringing over Dino leaving that goes on after a win.
Funny... Touche

Jody Dingleberry over at the 2-4-7 Louisville site didn’t help anything with his moronic articles.

Negative recruiting can be very subtle also... Not screaming it from the rooftops but more like off hand comments...

agree
IMO college coaches shouldn't do it. Sell whatever you are selling and be done with it. Let the parents and high school coaches bring up the potential minuses, and if it's important enough, ask the college coach directly.

Wasn't there a big disagreement by some posters about whether or not Dino's contract was coming up in negative recruiting? Think this article answers that.

It sure did, a lotto folks try to defuse it. I know as a high school senior I would feel a lot more comfortable about my decision for the next 4-5 years knowing the coach has a long term deal in place. Now we know an extension isn't bullet proof but certainly it gives some stability and certainly aids in the decision making process

I always thought the extent of it, beyond the losing, was that it was always cold, that you had to walk through tunnels to get to class or go anywhere because there was 15 feet of snow, and that you had to become Canadian and speak French. I didn't know.

Did you read the AMA from the top 50 recruit on Reddit? I only ask because he mentioned "walking to class in tunnels of snow" as part of the reason he didn't strongly consider Cuse. He said he loved the staff and said Babers was gonna do great things at SU.