NET and KenPom Tracker 23-24 (SU = 84 3/9/24) | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

NET and KenPom Tracker 23-24 (SU = 84 3/9/24)

Andrew (whoever he is) should review all these rankings.

SU has 5 (not 4) Q1 games left, as of the NET rankings after last night's games.

at Wake
Clemson
UNC
at NC State
at Clemson

I see Clemson at 36, so home Clemson would not be Q1

I see Clemson at 36, so home Clemson would not be Q1
I see them at 28, which would be Q1 home and away.

While the chart looks cool it’s pretty much irrelevant because the rankings and related quads change every day. We had 5 remaining Q1 games last night before Clemson lost to GaTech, now we have 4. It will change many more times between now and the end of season.
no I dont think it is that simple.

there are now basically 2 ncabb seasons.

the non-con - which locks conferences into their rankins/quads/etc

then the conf...when the teams battle within conf for the spoils they have already acquired.

for example, is it possible that the ACC somehow improves its number of quad 1 teams the rest of the season?

could be wrong but I dont think so.

I just went to the link, it's still got the rankings through 1/16, and it has them at 36. It'll change a million times between now and the end of the season anyway

1705583864028.png

Looking at St. Marys and Grand Canyon, I think we are well on our way to a couple mid major "snubs" when neither of them end up winning their conference tournaments.

LSU over Ole Miss helps us.
I thought so too. Interestingly despite LSU beating Ole Miss and moving up in the NET and Oregon becoming a quad 1 win, Cuse still dropped 2 spots in the NET. On the flip side USC loses their game last night (albeit a quad 1 loss) and moves up a couple spots. Makes little sense.

Oregon back to 50 in the NET ranking

So only change for us... 0-5 in Q1 to 1-5 Q1 and we drop 2 pts from 73 to 75.

I get everything is in flux and other teams getting better Q1 wins and moving up, but LOL.

I thought so too. Interestingly despite LSU beating Ole Miss and moving up in the NET and Oregon becoming a quad 1 win, Cuse still dropped 2 spots in the NET. On the flip side USC loses their game last night (albeit a quad 1 loss) and moves up a couple spots. Makes little sense.
It's important to remember that these movements are happening based on ALL of the results that day, and how those results impact the universe that is the entire season of results, not just their own. That's why these counteruitive bumps up or down occur.

It's important to remember that these movements are happening based on ALL of the results that day, and how those results impact the universe that is the entire season of results, not just their own. That's why these counteruitive bumps up or down occur.
Yeah, and no matter what, if you didn’t play a game the night before, don’t expect your net to move much

Plus the other thing that Jncuse mentioned is that the difference between every spot in the rankings isnt the same, like #11 isnt necessarily exactly as far behind #10 as #45 is to #44 or whatever. There could be a bunch of teams very close in the actual rating (not the position in the ranking, but the actual output that is used to rank all the teams) so you could move up down 5 spots based on a very small change in your metric, or you could not move at all for a larger move, depending on how close you are to the teams around you

Clemson drops like a rock. When we play them, they are likely be 60's.

Clemson drops like a rock. When we play them, they are likely be 60's.
Doubtful. They beat NET# 5 on the road and NET 32 Neutral unless you assume they lose to Louisville at home.

I do think there are some interesting concerns raised about ACC degradation. I don't think its really a big factor for the ACC this year but its a guess, so its worth tracking to see what is happening.

My belief for the SU/Pitt game (net loss of 5) was more random, and also due to the uniqueness of Pitt whose NET abnormally declines as their abnormal amount of positive anomalies get less weight each game.

I'm going to track it for the next week though for ACC Games.

FSU (93) at Miami (57)
Virginia Tech (56) at Virginia (63)
Louisville (232) at UNC (7)

In terms of tracking ACC conference degradation.

Small sample but yesterday vs today.
FSU-Miami (Combined NET -1)
Virginia Tech - Virginia (+3)
UNC - Louisville (+1)

So far +3 overall, so basically flat with a slight improvement. Too small a sample size to make any conclusions but I'll track this weekend as well.

Last edited:
In terms of tracking ACC conference degradation.

Small sample but yesterday vs today.
FSU-Miami (Combined NET -1)
Virginia Tech - Virginia (+3)
UNC - Louisville (+1)

So far +3 overall, so basically flat with a slight improvement. Too small a sample size to make any conclusions but I'll track this weekend as well.

The louisville dynamic is a little interesting. They are so bad that they could knock off a few ACC teams (I dont think this is going to happen but bear with me, or even just play a lot better and lose) and that would probably serve to move them up a fair amoutn in the NET and tank some of the teams they beat. But if Louisville moves up 30 spots in the NET, who cares? They're still 200. While as we've seen, a team like Clemson is right on the edge of being a Q1 game at home, so a few spots there are a lot more meaningful.

The louisville dynamic is a little interesting. They are so bad that they could knock off a few ACC teams (I dont think this is going to happen but bear with me, or even just play a lot better and lose) and that would probably serve to move them up a fair amoutn in the NET and tank some of the teams they beat. But if Louisville moves up 30 spots in the NET, who cares? They're still 200. While as we've seen, a team like Clemson is right on the edge of being a Q1 game at home, so a few spots there are a lot more meaningful.

I was just about to make a post about Louisville. Louisville needs to stay in their freaking lane and go 0-14 the rest of the way in the ACC. They have already done damage to the ACC by their OOC play no need to make it any worse.

They are going to be a Q4 win no matter if they win 1 game or 5 games in the ACC. All they do by winning any games is send a conference mates NET down by 10-15 spots (a guess), which then potentially moves our wins out of Q1 or Q2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom