NET for Jan 23 | Syracusefan.com

NET for Jan 23

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
NET012320.png

I don't think the NET itself has been updated since our win,

We were #69 before last night's game, and we would have improved after a road win. And we are still at #69. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe their is no live NET out there, and it may not always be updated daily.

EDIT - Stand corrected, see Notre Dame's net went down to #82 from #75.

I too will not root for the Irish but wearing my Orange glasses, I will be OK if I find out they win a few

By winning yesterday, we created a bad loss.

All this silly stuff that impacts "as of now" seedings will clear itself by year end. We just need to keep winning.
Because of the mediocrity of the ACC this year it might come down to how many wins vs the ACC's Big 3 we have. The rest might not matter. But, like you say, we just need to keep winning.

Because of the mediocrity of the ACC this year it might come down to how many wins vs the ACC's Big 3 we have. The rest might not matter. But, like you say, we just need to keep winning.
Those Big 3 games could also be very important determining who gets the 4 seed in the ACC tournament.

Those Big 3 games could also be very important determining who gets the 4 seed in the ACC tournament.
My quick research shows the following records vs the Big 3:

NC State (current ACC record 5-3) 4 left vs the Big 3
Va Tech. (5-3) currently 0-1 w/3 left
Cuse (5-3) 4 left vs the Big 3
Pitt (4-4) 1-2 with 2 left
UVA (4-4) 0-1 w/4 left
Clemson (4-4) 1-1 w/3 left

Last edited:
By winning yesterday, we created a bad loss.

All this silly stuff that impacts "as of now" seedings will clear itself by year end. We just need to keep winning.

Really need to notch a high quality win against a P5 opponent. Unfortunately, even with the nice 4 game win streak, it hasn't come against anyone that good, but more along the lines of relative mediocre teams. I think when it's all said and done, especially due to our preseason OOC disaster, and the ACC being significantly down this year, we very well may need to get 2 out of 3 between Duke, Louisville & FSU to have a legit shot at the Dance.

Our next 2 games come against Pitt (at home) and Clemson (away) the NET at 74 & 77 respectively. I doubt either of those W's (if we get both) move the needle much. The ensuing home game against Duke will really be telling to see how we measure up, as it will be the only sure thing tourney team played in these last 7. After Duke, we play the next two at home as well, Wake, with a current NET of 104, followed by NCST at 44.

After NCST, other than FSU & Louisville, the best team relative to the NET we face is Pitt again on the road, Miami on the road at 91, GT home at 94, UNC home at 113, and BC away at 162.

If we can somehow keep this streak going and get to 17-7 our name will be back on the tip of the tongue and we may show up in the others receiving votes in the polls. Ideally ND wins more , we go into Duke at 14-7 and win , we beat Wake and then beat NC State who comes in ranked .

If our win at VPI (45 NET) was replaced with a win at Purdue (46 NET) and our win at ND (82) was replaced with a win at Missouri (81), how much better would our case be?

background, I’ve never understood why OOC vs in conference matters, so I’m curious how much more valuable the road wins are if they are OOC.

I have to disagree. There is one way to get around the mediocrity of a conference under the new Quad system. And that is road wins -- its going to get some you some Quad 1 wins and at minimum Quad 2 wins which do matter on the bubble as well. Most bubble teams, since they are bubble teams, don't pile up on them. We have so far.

The following games are very key to our resume, as they are all going to be either Q1 or Q2 games.
At Miami
At Pitt
At Clemson

Win those 3, and that is difficult, and it really lowers what you need to do against the Big 3. I think we would need one big scalp but I doubt more.

Last edited:
Ending the year with a viable tourny resume is going to be so tough, our OOC adds nothing to our case, and the ACC doesn't provide a ton of opportunities for difference making wins. (Who could've seen that coming?)

In broad strokes, maybe 12-8 in the league with at least one of those coming against one of the ACC big 3? Even with that, you might be talking about 2 or 3 wins all year over tournament teams. NC State seems to be solidifying their case, so the home game against them is a must.

Really have no idea what to make of things at this point, there are still a bunch of games that could trip us up (4 of our last 12 have KP projections of 2 points or less) and the opportunity for difference making wins are so few and far between.

Ending the year with a viable tourny resume is going to be so tough, our OOC adds nothing to our case, and the ACC doesn't provide a ton of opportunities for difference making wins. (Who could've seen that coming?)

In broad strokes, maybe 12-8 in the league with at least one of those coming against one of the ACC big 3? Even with that, you might be talking about 2 or 3 wins all year over tournament teams. NC State seems to be solidifying their case, so the home game against them is a must.

Really have no idea what to make of things at this point, there are still a bunch of games that could trip us up (4 of our last 12 have KP projections of 2 points or less) and the opportunity for difference making wins are so few and far between.

It really is tough. Our best bet is just keep winning and racking up road wins. We have to get some signature wins to go with all of these middle of the road games. If we want in, gotta get to 20 before the ACCT. That isn't even a guarantee as it needs to include wins over either Duke , Ville or FSU.

For fun, i decided to add the NET, KenPom and Sagarin rankings for SU and it's remaining opponents jus tto get the lay of the land for the rest of our regular season journey. SU is 69th in NET, 51st in KenPOm and 46th in Sagarin for a total of 166. We are therefore expected to beat anybody with a higher number than that and lose to anyone with a lower number.

Pittsburgh 227
at Clemson 216
Duke 11
Wake Forest 316
NC State 119
at Florida State 37
at Louisville 27
Georgia Tech 264
at Pittsburgh 227
North Carolina 275
at Boston College 487
at U of Miami 276

That's two more wins for 6 in a row going itno the Duke game, followed by a difficult 1-4 stretch (say hello to tbonezone), followed by 5 wins in a row to close out the regular season. That's 20-11 overall and 13-7 in the conference. Would that be enough or do we need to score an upset or two on top of that?

For fun, i decided to add the NET, KenPom and Sagarin rankings for SU and it's remaining opponents jus tto get the lay of the land for the rest of our regular season journey. SU is 69th in NET, 51st in KenPOm and 46th in Sagarin for a total of 166. We are therefore expected to beat anybody with a higher number than that and lose to anyone with a lower number.

Pittsburgh 227
at Clemson 216
Duke 11
Wake Forest 316
NC State 119
at Florida State 37
at Louisville 27
Georgia Tech 264
at Pittsburgh 227
North Carolina 275
at Boston College 487
at U of Miami 276

That's two more wins for 6 in a row going itno the Duke game, followed by a difficult 1-4 stretch (say hello to tbonezone), followed by 5 wins in a row to close out the regular season. That's 20-11 overall and 13-7 in the conference. Would that be enough or do we need to score an upset or two on top of that?

If it goes purely like that, probably not. Since we wouldn't add any more wins over tournament teams, unless I'm missing something obvious.

So weird to see UNC ranking so poorly, isn't it?

Pittsburgh 227
at Clemson 216
Duke 11
Wake Forest 316
NC State 119
at Florida State 37
at Louisville 27
Georgia Tech 264
at Pittsburgh 227
North Carolina 275
at Boston College 487
at U of Miami 276

I'll play. In my opinion, no. Going 13-7 in this league most years would be an absolute yes, but not with it being such a down season this year. Now, if that 13-7 record comes with a couple of wins against those "lower" number teams like Duke, UL or FSU, than that would be a horse of a different color. But getting to 13-7 with a unbalanced schedule and a relatively weak ACC in the fashion you lay out won't cut it. I just don't see how winning those (especially with the numbers being so poor/high) does much for us.

Additionally, when considering our horrible OCC record, losing all of those P5 games, not to mention in the fashion we did, is going to make it difficult to make the argument we belong in the Dance. Of course, it always comes down to who else are we being compared with as those last few in, etc. From what I've seen to date watching quite a bit of college hoops, this year's bubble may be the weakest in a very long time.

To get in safely I think 22 is the magic number we need for Wins. 21 in the regular season + 1 ACC tourney win could do it as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom