Net Points, etc. - Colgate | Syracusefan.com

Net Points, etc. - Colgate

SWC75

Bored Historian
I’ve added so many things to my post-game “Net Points” posts over the years that it’s become a very long post to read and a longer one to do. I’ve decided to have separate posts for the numbers for a particular game and for the cumulative season totals. It’s the later that takes most of the time and lengthens the post so much. There was too much verbiage and too many numbers.

I’m still going to figure the season totals but I’ll post them at three different stages of the season: after the pre-conference schedule, after the conference schedule and after the post season. In the meantime, I’ll go with this stream-lined version of “Net Points, etc.” after each game, with numbers and commentary only for that game. That should make it both quicker to do and more digestible.

Net Points
(points + rebounds + assists + steals + blocks minus missed field goals and free throws, turnovers and personal fouls)

Oshae Brissett 21NP in 40 minutes
Tyus Battle 19NP in 40 minutes
Paschal Chukwu 17NP in 32 minutes
Frank Howard 16NP in 40 minutes
Marek Dolezaj 15NP in 35 minutes
Howard Washington 4NP in 5 minutes
Matthew Moyer -1NP in 8 minutes

DNP coach’s decision
None

Injured or suspended
Bourama Sidibe

Left team
Geno Thorpe

Awards

Offensive Dude of the Game, (O-Dog)
(Points plus assists)

Tyus Battle 24 + 1 = 25

Scoring Efficiency
(Points minus field goal and free throw attempts)

Tyus Battle 24 points – 10 mfg – 0 mft = 14

Sat Us Down
(Who scored the first SU basket of each half)

1st Half- Frank Howard trey 11 seconds in
2nd Half- Frank Howard jumper 1:24 in

TACO Bell MVP
(Who scored the point that got us to 70, which gets you free tacos with your ticket stub)

Frank Howard with a free throw with 1:52 left.

My Man
(Who played the most minutes?)

Tyus Battle, Oshae Brissett and Frank Howard 40 minutes

Team Stats:
(I’ve decided to put the team that won the stat in bold and ties in italics.)

POSSESSION

Rebounding
(Add each team’s offensive rebounds to their opponent’s defensive rebounds. Then figure the offensive rebounds as a percentage of that)

We rebounded 8 of our 25 misses = 32.0%

They rebounded 6 of their 31 misses = 19.4%

Effective Offensive Rebounding
(Divide second chance points by the offensive rebounds)

We got 8 points on 8 O-Rebs = 1.000 points/O-reb
They got 3 points on 6 O-Rebs = 0.500 points/ O-reb

Unforced Turnovers
(Total turnovers – the other team’s steals = unforced turnovers)

We had 7 turnovers – 1 steals = 6 unforced
They had 12 turnovers – 7 steals = 5 unforced

Points per Takeaway
(Points off turnovers divided by the number of turnovers the other team had)

We had 19 points from 12 takeaways = 1.583 points/takeaway
They had 9 points from 7 takeaways = 1.286 points/takeaway

Unsettled Situations
(Effective offensive rebounding + Points per Takeaway: [Second Chance Point + Points off Turnovers] divided by [Offensive Rebounds + Opposition Turnovers)

We had 27 points in 20 unsettled situations = 1.350 points
They had 12 points in 13 unsettled situations = 0.923 points

Manufactured Possessions
(One teams rebounds + the other team’s turnovers)

We had 33 + 12 = 45
They had 23 + 7= 30

Scoring

Shooting
(shots made and attempted and the percentage for two point goal attempts, three point attempts and free throws)

We were 18 for 29 on twos, (62.1%), 7 for 19 on threes (36.8%) and 15 for 22 on frees (68.2%)
They were 7 for 16 on twos, (43.8%), 14 for 35 on threes (40.0%) and 2 for 4 on frees (50.0%)

(PIP= points in the paint, POP = points outside the paint, which is total points – PIP –free throws made, TREY: points from three point shots, TZ= Twilight Zone, which is POP – TREY, two point jumpers from outside the paint, FBP = fast break points POTO= points off turnovers)

We had 28 PIP, 29 POP, 21 TREY, 8 TZ, 0 FBP, 19 POTO
They had 10 PIP, 46 POP, 42 TREY, 4 TZ, 6 FBP, 9 POTO

First Chance/Second Chance
(FCP is First Chance Points, which is total points - second chance points – fast break points – free throws made. SCP is second chance points.)

We had 49 FCP and 8 SCP
They had 47 FCP and 3 SCP

Starters/Bench
(Total points – bench points = starters points)

Our starters scored 67 points and our bench scored 5 points
Their starters scored 34 points and their bench scored 24 points

Assists
(The percentage of a team’s baskets that were assisted)

We assisted 15 of our 25 field goals = 60.0%
They assisted 20 of their 21 field goals = 95.2%

Team Offensive Efficiency
(Possessions: Field goals attempted - offensive rebounds + turnovers + 47.5% of free throws attempted. Efficiency is total points divided by possessions)

We scored 72 points in 58 possessions = 1.241 points/possession
They scored 58 points in 59 possessions = 0.983 points/ possession
It was a 117 possession game.

Breakdown by Quarters
(Points scored between the beginning of the game and the 10 minute mark of the first half, then halftime, then the 10 minute mark of the second half, the end of regulation and then overtime of there was one)

18-13, 20-13, 14-14, 20-18

Fouls

(Two point shots, points in paint and free throws attempted per times fouled.)

We attempted 29 two point shots, scored 28 points in the paint, attempted 22 free throws and were fouled 19 times = 1.53; 1.47; 1.16
They attempted 16 two point shots, scored 10 points in the paint, attempted 4 free throws and were fouled 5 times = 3.20; 2.00; 0.80

We were more likely to draw fouls calls when we got it inside and got more shooting fouls called.

Comments:

- Tyus Battle hasn’t led us in net points since the Texas Southern game. The reason is that, while he scores real points better than any of our players, he doesn’t fill up the stat sheet the way others do. He did have 5 rebounds today but he has only 1 assists, no blocks and no steals. So all his misses, (he had 10 of them), are not offset and come off his point total.

- This stat almost made me cry: Fast Break Points: Syracuse 0 Colgate 6.

- Here’s another sad one: Bench Scoring SU 5 Colgate 24

- Despite the supposed efficacy of all those threes Colgate was taking, we were much the more efficient team in points per possession: 1.241-0.983.

Last edited:
Thinking about Tyus -
I often compare him to Dion, and while I think Tyus may have even more upside (plus none of the 'baggage' that Dion has/had), the one thing Dion did MUCH better than Tyus, was be a playmaker and create for others.

Yes, it's awesome that he can get his shots off against anybody at any time, and scoring is clearly important in basketball, and something this current team desperately lacks.
But, with as much defensive attention as he does and will attract, there are going to be easy opportunities for teammates there for the taking - and to date, he hasn't done any of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom