New Andy Katz bracket | Syracusefan.com

New Andy Katz bracket

7 seed would be excellent. If we're a 8/9, you know there's a 75% chance we are in Virginia's region.

7 seed would be excellent. If we're a 8/9, you know there's a 75% chance we are in Virginia's region.
I don't believe that can happen. Conference foes can't meet in the Round of 32. With the potential of having 3 #1 seeds coming from the ACC, we will likely be in Gonzaga's bracket (if we are a 8/9 seed).

Actually I’m pretty sure it’s almost 0%
Yeah, UVA would have to slip down to a 2 seed, which means they would have to lose their first ACC tourney game by double digits and then the winner of the OT thriller between UNC and Duke goes on to win the title over Florida State. And even that might not be enough.

I don't believe that can happen. Conference foes can't meet in the Round of 32. With the potential of having 3 #1 seeds coming from the ACC, we will likely be in Gonzaga's bracket (if we are a 8/9 seed).

yep, Gonzaga bracket or Kentucky bracket if they get a 1 seed. the year that we played Marquette in the round of 32 (2011) there were 11 Big East teams in the tourney so things got out of whack. no way that will happen this time

It’s not that they “can’t” but yes, the committee would like to avoid it

I don't believe that can happen. Conference foes can't meet in the Round of 32.
It can happen. If we don't meet them in the ACCT, we can play them in the second round.

How the field of 68 teams is picked for March Madness | NCAA.com

III. BUILDING THE BRACKET

Sixteen levels are established (i.e., the seeds, 1 through 16) in the bracket that cross the four regions, permitting evaluation of four teams simultaneously on the same level. Teams on each seed line (No. 1, No. 2, No. 3, etc.) should be as equal as possible.

Each region is divided into quadrants with four levels in each, permitting the evaluation of four different sections within each region against the same sections in each of the other regions.

The committee will assign all four teams in each bracket group (seeds 1, 16, 8, 9), (4, 13, 5, 12), (2, 15, 7, 10), (3, 14, 6, 11) to the same first-/second-round site. There will be two ”pods‟ at each first-/second-round site which may feed into different regional sites.

Each of the first four teams selected from a conference shall be placed in different regions if they are seeded on the first four lines.

Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional final if they played each other three or more times during the regular season and conference tournament.

Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional semifinals if they played each other twice during the regular season and conference tournament.

Teams from the same conference may play each other as early as the second round if they played no more than once during the regular season and conference tournament.

Any principle can be relaxed if two or more teams from the same conference are among the last four at-large seeded teams participating in the First Four.

To recognize the demonstrated quality of such teams, the committee shall not place teams seeded on the first four lines at a potential “home-crowd disadvantage” in the first round.

The last four at-large teams on the overall seed list, as well as teams seeded 65 through 68, will be paired to compete in the First Four games on Tuesday and Wednesday following the announcement of the field. (If allowed, the last at-large team on the seed list will be paired with the second-to-last at-large team on the seed list. The other First Four games will consist of the third-to-last at-large team on the seed list playing the fourth-to-last at-large team on the seed list, as well as seed 65 versus 66; and seed 67 versus 68).

The winners of the First Four games will advance to a first- and second-round site to be determined by the committee during selection weekend. In the event a First Four site is also a first- and second-round site, the winners of the First Four games may be assigned to that site, regardless of the days of competition.

Teams will remain in or as close to their areas of natural interest as possible. A team moved out of its natural area will be placed in the next closest region to the extent possible. If two teams from the same natural region are in contention for the same bracket position, the team ranked higher in the seed list shall remain in its natural region.

A team will not be permitted to play in any facility in which it has played more than three games during its season, not including exhibitions and conference postseason tournaments.

A host institution’s team shall not be permitted to play at the site where the institution is hosting. However, the team may play on the same days when the institution is hosting.

Teams may play at a site where the conference of which it is a member is serving as the host.

A team may be moved up or down one (or in extraordinary circumstances) two lines from its true seed line (e.g., from the 13 seed line to the 12 seed line; or from a 12 seed line to a 13 seed line) when it is placed in the bracket if necessary to meet the principles.

Actually I’m pretty sure it’s almost 0%
Is this a new rule? Didn't we lose to Marquette in the 2nd round in 2011?

Is this a new rule? Didn't we lose to Marquette in the 2nd round in 2011?
They try to avoid paring teams that could end up playing each other from the same conference in the first 2 rounds.
However, if more then 9 teams make the tournament in the same year, the rule does not apply. 11 teams made the tournament in 2011. Thus, Syracuse ended up playing Marquette in the second round.
I asked this very question, and was given this answer by someone Involved with the basketball office at the Hardwood Club dinner on Sunday night.

Andy's had us as a 7 seed for a long time. A little higher than others, but still pretty much treading water the last few weeks. Hope we can get some momentum this week and move up some seed lines.

Quote from above - Teams from the same conference may play each other as early as the second round if they played no more than once during the regular season and conference tournament.

This could be scary if we don't play VA in the conference tourney. I can see it now, VA gets a #1 and we are #8/9 in the same bracket thanks to the NCAA who wouldn't hesitate to put the screws to us. Hey, it will be what it will be. I'm not scared of them as you have to beat everybody anyway.

Quote from above - Teams from the same conference may play each other as early as the second round if they played no more than once during the regular season and conference tournament.

This could be scary if we don't play VA in the conference tourney. I can see it now, VA gets a #1 and we are #8/9 in the same bracket thanks to the NCAA who wouldn't hesitate to put the screws to us. Hey, it will be what it will be. I'm not scared of them as you have to beat everybody anyway.
One word... PRESS!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom