New Coaches Not Reviewing Video | Syracusefan.com

New Coaches Not Reviewing Video

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
I just watched an interview with new Penn State coach Bill O'Brien.

He indicated that he has not watched video of the team from last year.

I recall that Greg Robinson also did not watch video of the 2004 team when he arrived on the Hill the winter/spring of 2005.

I don't understand that kind of approach.

It seems to me that all information is helpful. I can't understand why a coach would not want to see how a player reacts to game situations - a tough opponent - a bad hit - a tough hit, etc.

Do you suspect that a 24/7 type coach - like Pasqualoni - would not take the opportunity to watch video?

I wonder.

I recall that Greg Robinson also did not watch video of the 2004 team when he arrived on the Hill the winter/spring of 2005.

It seems to me that all information is helpful. I can't understand why a coach would not want to see how a player reacts to game situations - a tough opponent - a bad hit - a tough hit, etc.

Do you suspect that a 24/7 type coach - like Pasqualoni - would not take the opportunity to watch video?

I wonder.
these guys have been coaching their whole careers! who are you to question?

kidding. sort of.

i think they're full of it. either way, they're stupid (lying about it or truthfully not watching)

brain damage is pervasive in this stupid barbaric sport I'm too stubborn to stop watching

I wonder.

I don't think a single type of coach works across the board, but willfully ignoring pertinent information seems silly. I think Coach P would watch the video and view it as an important step in righting the ship.

these guys have been coaching their whole careers! who are you to question?

kidding. sort of.

i think they're full of it. either way, they're stupid (lying about it or truthfully not watching)

brain damage is pervasive in this stupid barbaric sport I'm too stubborn to stop watching

I get it - I'm just a fan who has no idea what is really happening with strategy etc.

True. No doubt. You're right.

But I'm not talking football strategy - formations, play calling, etc. I'm not assessing or comparing the abilities of players. I'm talking about use of information.

Ignoring information that is there for the taking just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

And yes the game is brutal and with developments like Junior Seau I have to question how the game is coached, managed and played.

Are you suggesting Bill O'Brien is not a 24/7 coach?

What hours do you think he works?

As someone pointed out when GRob made the same statement, he's either lying or stupid. I suspect the former. But on some level, I'm sure it sounds good to a lot of the players to think that they have a clean slate.

Are you suggesting Bill O'Brien is not a 24/7 coach?

What hours do you think he works?

I have no idea.

I presume that he, like most high level football coaches puts in a lot of time.

There are some coaches, that probably fall into a subset who almost go overboard - they spend every waking moment studying and analyzing.

It's those guys that probably would take every opportunity to review whatever film might be available.

I never got the impression that Robinson was one of those guys and his decision not to review film foreshadowed that approach.

I know nothing about O'Brien. I'm sure he is a very capable coach. But, if he were the HC of my team I would want him to review all of the film, all of the coaching notes, all of the player evaluations and even the recruiting assessments.

As someone pointed out when GRob made the same statement, he's either lying or stupid. I suspect the former. But on some level, I'm sure it sounds good to a lot of the players to think that they have a clean slate.

I think that's right. I think it gives the players the feeling that they will get a fresh start.

So, it might be BS.

Bill O'Brien is a Belichick disciple.

I think you should definitely believe everything he says to the media is the God's honest truth.

:crazy: ;)

If you come in and base your analysis solely on practices I suppose the big risk is that someone who doesn't practice well will slip through the cracks. Even GRob complained about the way Sales practiced, but when the lights came on Marcus made plays for GRob.

I can understand why a coach doesnt watch any tape when entering a program, especially if their system is a lot different. They want to evaluate the talent on their own and not rush to judgment. Each coach is different.

Bill O'Brien is a Belichick disciple.

I think you should definitely believe everything he says to the media is the God's honest truth.

:crazy: ;)

I don't know the guy.

I don't know if he is candid with the press or not.

I guess I'm not questioning him so much as the concept of not reviewing available information.

And it does seem to be a trend with new coaches.

I guess a coach might lie about not reviewing video - to assure the players he his inheriting that they will be given a fresh start under a new administration - but the significance of what is shown in video to me is in the eye of the beholder. I don't see how reviewing video would prejudice a player in the coach's eye.

I can understand why a coach doesnt watch any tape when entering a program, especially if their system is a lot different. They want to evaluate the talent on their own and not rush to judgment. Each coach is different.
Yes, I could see going into/through spring practice fresh to develop my own opinions. But after that, I'd want to look at the last seasons tapes for further confirmation of what I saw, contradictions, or areas to give further attention to that I may have overlooked.

Urban Meyer claimed the same thing going into spring football at OSU:

Spring football practice begins this week in Columbus, and for new head coach Urban Meyer, it’s going to be like Christmas morning. “I’m excited to see our presents,” Meyer said of his first look at his Buckeye players in uniform and on the practice field. Meyer claims to have not watched film of last year’s games, in order to fairly evaluate his personnel in the flesh this spring. But even before he toots his whistle for the first time, Urban Meyer has put his own indelible stamp on this Ohio State program.

Now whether or not he does before the actual season remains to be seen.

Urban Meyer claimed the same thing going into spring football at OSU:

Spring football practice begins this week in Columbus, and for new head coach Urban Meyer, it’s going to be like Christmas morning. “I’m excited to see our presents,” Meyer said of his first look at his Buckeye players in uniform and on the practice field. Meyer claims to have not watched film of last year’s games, in order to fairly evaluate his personnel in the flesh this spring. But even before he toots his whistle for the first time, Urban Meyer has put his own indelible stamp on this Ohio State program.

Now whether or not he does before the actual season remains to be seen.

Yeah, that does seem to be the announced approach these days - I think Marrone may have said something similar.

I find it strange though.

Yeah, that does seem to be the announced approach these days - I think Marrone may have said something similar.

I find it strange though.
One more thing that is important is to think about when coaches transition. My thought it is that you want to be a neutral as possible. Give everyone a chance, because when coaching staffs changes usually all the assistants go with them. Saying the right thing might be the difference in having kids transfer out of the program. If you say im not going to look at the tape, every position is open, etc It gives a good sense security and familiarity. Just a thought.