**New Commit: 4 Star PF Tyler Lydon** | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

**New Commit: 4 Star PF Tyler Lydon**

Thought for sure he was Leo Rautins, no Canadian accent and no little Andy trailing him down the court though.

While watching him play, the first thought that immediately came to my mind was Bjorn. I Believe we may have a very serious player here.

Brandon Reese is lucky he's not around anymore. I'd hate to have Bjorn 2.0 showing him up in practice.

Actually I was just thinking...in a few years, if Lydon contributes as a freshman, we could potentially have a lineup that at least includes he and BJ...that would have to give us at least the foundation for the best shooting 5 we could put on the floor in a long, long time. If BJ and Lydon shoot as well as I think they will, it'd surpass Andy and Wes. BJ as a senior swingman, and Lydon as a sophomore stretch four could be absolutely lethal.

It kind of feels like Jimmy and the staff saw the glaring weakness of last year's team and is going all out to make sure that doesn't happen again, particularly since we'll be playing against teams like Duke who routinely have fantastic perimeter games.

This isn't your run of the mill wet blanket - this is borderline hate. What did he do to you bro?

Comparisons to Southerland are about his 3pt shooting and role here. Lydon was 42% and 36%, that's great for a 6'8" guy. Not nearly the consistency as Dirty? Huh? How can you make that comment viewing one game? Generally, the whole "streaky" shooting criticism is an igorish way to put in unsubstantiated negativity.

You mentioned that he was passive but if his role was as a designated shooter to counter the zone you through at them, what would you expect? And I don't think anyone could put good rebounding numbers in such a debbie-downer context as you managed to do.

SU is adding a top 100, tall shooter. He has 2 years to grow, develop, and learn. This is a good thing.

It appears as though our strategy for forwards is to recruit length on defense and mismatches on offense.

I like it a lot.

First of all, who is this Igor you speak of ?? Secondly, I did preface my comments with a major disclaimer. But I will retract the 'consistency' word that inspired your ire. I do concede your point! Poor choice of words, but not used intentionally to cast aspersions on our latest addition! As for your 'designated shooter' comment, I did not mention that in the first half of our game, that was basically the case. He only shot from the arc. However, in the second half, their coach did try to make adjustments against the zone, but it did not appear to me - and let me stress the word appear, lest I approach 'borderline hate' - that on the few occasions he attempted it, Tyler was very comfortable trying to fight for position at the foul line and down on the block. Again, that's only 1 game! I simply make my comments to give a different perspective; and I'd be lying if I didn't hope that everything you said comes to pass - that he will grow, develop and learn. As you said, Sgt Cuse, that would be a good thing - a very good thing! The bottom line is, we're all in the same book here - albeit on slightly different pages - and we all want the same ending!

First of all, who is this Igor you speak of ??
The greatest basketball mind of the ESPN era, and winner of 7 of the last 9 Syracusefan.com poster of the year awards. He'd be a household name if not for getting Boeheimed early in his career.

I love the guy. You should too. He's a board treasure.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

First of all, who is this Igor you speak of ?? Secondly, I did preface my comments with a major disclaimer. But I will retract the 'consistency' word that inspired your ire. I do concede your point! Poor choice of words, but not used intentionally to cast aspersions on our latest addition! As for your 'designated shooter' comment, I did not mention that in the first half of our game, that was basically the case. He only shot from the arc. However, in the second half, their coach did try to make adjustments against the zone, but it did not appear to me - and let me stress the word appear, lest I approach 'borderline hate' - that on the few occasions he attempted it, Tyler was very comfortable trying to fight for position at the foul line and down on the block. Again, that's only 1 game! I simply make my comments to give a different perspective; and I'd be lying if I didn't hope that everything you said comes to pass - that he will grow, develop and learn. As you said, Sgt Cuse, that would be a good thing - a very good thing! The bottom line is, we're all in the same book here - albeit on slightly different pages - and we all want the same ending!
Fair enough. I was just a little "suspicious" of your intent. It is a little discouraging to hear of an SU recruit not dominating on the High School level.

On the positive side, the staff has had him in camp, probably know his work ethic and capabilities. It also looks like there is a clear cut role for him to get.

My brother in-law works the State Tournament Every year and is an Athletic Director in Section 2. Saw his team lose to lake george. Said Prep School was probably good for him. Said he straight up acted like a spoiled brat in that game. Lake George was physical with him and it got in his head.

I don't know that I see the athleticism that some others are seeing. With all of the cool looking dunks, he doesn't really seem to jump all that high. I also didn't really see anything that showed whether he has any agility or lateral movement. I'm not saying he doesn't have it, just that nothing in the video shows it, one way or the other. I don't think he's a slug, he's just not super athletic. His shooting stroke looks nice and he had some nice passes. It'll be interesting to see how he develops the next couple of seasons, before getting here. He looks like a nice get.

A lot of his dunks are result of his freakishly long arms. I'm not sure he's done growing so he may be 7' by the time he hits campus.

My brother in-law works the State Tournament Every year and is an Athletic Director in Section 2. Saw his team lose to lake george. Said Prep School was probably good for him. Said he straight up acted like a spoiled brat in that game. Lake George was physical with him and it got in his head.
Prep schools have been pretty good for the Cuse. This kid has a nice highlight tape. He can play above the rim and has nice rotation on his shot. Definitely needs to get stronger but the one advantage he will gain at prep school is that he will be playing against other kids as talented every day. If he has an attitude issue, I expect that will disappear pretty quickly. This kid is also an alumni of the City Rocks program. Nolan Hart's father has done well for the Cuse.

The greatest basketball mind of the ESPN era, and winner of 7 of the last 9 Syracusefan.com poster of the year awards. He'd be a household name if not for getting Boeheimed early in his career.

I love the guy. You should too. He's a board treasure.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Hes the one who taught JB how to play zone, now hes trying to talk him out of it :bang:

Looks like a solid get. But will this affect Bryant coming here?

If this kid ends up being as good as Jake thinks, I think we'll be alright. There's no guarantee Bryant is coming here. Before he transferred, he lived in the same town as me, and I've always heard UNC was his dream school, so we'll see. I have no clue how his recruiting is going though.

Alex Murphy did come to mind.
Why don't we go with kyle singler while we're being all racisty.[/quote]

just some john wallace 3 point % numbers.
( fr. 0% , soph 0% , jr. 19%, sr. 42 %. )
attempted only 3 shots his first two years. 14 as a junior and 88 as a senior.
not saying that he couldn't make 'em but he simply didn't take them.

If this kid ends up being as good as Jake thinks, I think we'll be alright. There's no guarantee Bryant is coming here. Before he transferred, he lived in the same town as me, and I've always heard UNC was his dream school, so we'll see. I have no clue how his recruiting is going though.

If?

Are you questioning the one they call Jake?

Actually I was just thinking...in a few years, if Lydon contributes as a freshman, we could potentially have a lineup that at least includes he and BJ...that would have to give us at least the foundation for the best shooting 5 we could put on the floor in a long, long time. If BJ and Lydon shoot as well as I think they will, it'd surpass Andy and Wes. BJ as a senior swingman, and Lydon as a sophomore stretch four could be absolutely lethal.

It kind of feels like Jimmy and the staff saw the glaring weakness of last year's team and is going all out to make sure that doesn't happen again, particularly since we'll be playing against teams like Duke who routinely have fantastic perimeter games.
Whether its Jim or Mike coaching the team we will be ready for the ACC. Will they be ready for us?The future looks orange..