New Commit DT Isaiah Johnson | Syracusefan.com

New Commit DT Isaiah Johnson

Scowt lists offers from Hawaii, Temple, Wake Forest, UMass and Cuse.

I agree with Anglerman. I'm thinking offensive tackle prospect.

If this is a new High School does anybody know where Johnson is orginally from ?

If this is a new High School does anybody know where Johnson is orginally from ?

Originally from Delaware. Friend of Jerome Smith. [Edit -- he is from Delaware, but didn't know Jerome before committing]

Originally from Delaware. Friend of Jerome Smith. [Edit -- he is from Delaware, but didn't know Jerome before committing]

Was he at Red Lion Christian Academy in Delaware?

For those not familiar with Red Lion Christian Academy, the school prioritized making its football program into some sort of national power. It went up against the traditional scholastic sports structure in Delaware, and, frankly, it became an outlaw program. An outlaw high school program, no less. It also became an outlaw program with a severe money crunch:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/prep...istian-asks-for-diaa-reinstatement/52686064/1

This excerpt should give you some idea about the unsavory aspects of this program, and its most famous football player, David Sills:

"Much of the controversy surrounding Red Lion football has centered on David Sills IV, father of David Sills, the Lions' highly touted freshman quarterback. The elder Sills played major roles in the founding of the FOCAS Foundation (Financially Obedient Christians Assisting Students), a privately funded financial aid program that provides assistance to many of Red Lion's football players, and the F.L.A.S.H., Faithful Leaders Always Serving Him, (aka David Sills IV, not the other Him) Training program, which is housed in an on-campus facility built by Sills' construction company. Athletes from Red Lion and other schools have participated in the training program, which has led some to accuse Red Lion coaches and boosters of using the program to recruit outside athletes to attend Red Lion.

The school is barely hanging on now that the grid troupe has trooped away. The roving band of football players, including Sills, have moved just a mile or two across the state line into Elkton. Not a comment on Isaiah Johnson, just a comment on the seamy underbelly of high school football.

This kid has a great frame and athleticism. I like the thought process by the staff.

It's been said by others before, but I feel a lot better getting a guy with Johnson's credentials at this early stage, than in late January. The staff obviously sees something they like in this guy to invest a scholarship at this juncture.

John Garcia Jr. (@JohnGarcia_Jr)
6/14/12 10:31 PM
Finally saw some film on #Syracuse commit Isaiah Johnson. You can't tell he was a basketball player most of his life with how physical he is

Really wanna see some tape on this guy.

Former basketball player usually = good footwork, so that could definitely lend to him being a solid OT, but I would also not mind having a 280-290 lb DE or have him fill out as a big DT. He has a lot of potential with that frame.

or perhaps a monster TE; numerous college basketball players have made it in the NFL as TE's. With his strength, speed and hands; imagine that. :)

What is the staff thinking? This kid isn't even rated. He doesn't even have a picture on his profile on S****.