Class of 2021 - New Commit: Matteo Corsi (MI / IMG) Attack | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 New Commit: Matteo Corsi (MI / IMG) Attack

Abclaxfan

Scout Team
New 2020 (unless he’s reclassed) recruit Matteo Corsi I guess he’s with IMG now originally from Michigan and was at the Hill Academy last year. Looks like he played box up in Canada last summer. Was a Lehigh recruit

New 2020 (unless he’s reclassed) recruit Matteo Corsi I guess he’s with IMG now originally from Michigan and was at the Hill Academy last year. Looks like he played box up in Canada last summer. Was a Lehigh recruit
He’s reclassing to 2021 so he’s the only 2021 offensive player now

Corsei's highlights are interesting. He looks like a very nice player, shifty with tremendous stick skills. Could see him being a very nice quarterback attackman. 2 more years to develop at IMG as well.

IMG_7584.jpg

IMG pipeline continues. Dont know a ton about the kid but seems like a real nice pick up. Adds a nice looking attackmen and gets us back on track with getting some O recruits. Hopefully this is a harbinger of things to come.

I like his skills a lot and he is pretty fearless. He definitely looks like he's bulked up a bit over the course of the last year also. Will need to continue to do so if he's going to go to the cage as hard as he does in that summer 18 vid.

He had a pretty good summer for the Brampton Excelsiors in the OLA Jr A circuit. 16 points in 9 games for someone his age isn't bad. I don't know if he grew up playing box lacrosse or not. Michigan has some areas with people pretty committed to the box game. But considering his age and not being Canadian, that's pretty good.

It seems like we're seeing WAY more players reclass. So many are starting out at public schools, then going to private or prep schools and reclassing. In college hockey, players play in the junior leagues before going to US colleges, and are usually about 20 when they enter college. The logic behind this is that the rosters are smaller, there are fewer teams and so scholarship spots are limited. In lacrosse, it seems like we're heading in a similar direction, but the motivation must be different.

Does anyone know if he decided to transfer from Hill Academy to IMG before he committed to SU? Does anyone know why he decided to transfer? I don't feel like you see many kids leave the Hill Academy.

I can't think of another school that draws so many kids from one high school as SU does from IMG. Does anyone know if they steer kids there purposefully? Levandowski and Papa I believe both went to IMG after deciding on SU. Burnham was a SU grad and Marachek obviously is as well so it makes sense, but seems like it is more than that.

Corsi does look like a pretty good player, passing ability, speed, shiftiness and even has a little wow factor. Certainly likes that jump shot, though that will be a lot harder to get off at the next level. Can't really tell how tall he is but he looks well built. I think March has an affinity for Canadian/Native style players given his work with the Blaze and Princeton so it looks like Corsi, even though he's from Michigan, fits this type of mold.

Does anyone know if he decided to transfer from Hill Academy to IMG before he committed to SU? Does anyone know why he decided to transfer? I don't feel like you see many kids leave the Hill Academy.

I can't think of another school that draws so many kids from one high school as SU does from IMG. Does anyone know if they steer kids there purposefully? Levandowski and Papa I believe both went to IMG after deciding on SU. Burnham was a SU grad and Marachek obviously is as well so it makes sense, but seems like it is more than that.

Corsi does look like a pretty good player, passing ability, speed, shiftiness and even has a little wow factor. Certainly likes that jump shot, though that will be a lot harder to get off at the next level. Can't really tell how tall he is but he looks well built. I think March has an affinity for Canadian/Native style players given his work with the Blaze and Princeton so it looks like Corsi, even though he's from Michigan, fits this type of mold.

IMG looks to have replaced Bridgton Academy as SU's preferred prep school.

SU had many players attend Bridgton prior to enrolling at SU (for various reasons) back in the day.

My uninformed attempt at an educated guess - the kids who attend IMG (or a Bridgton Academy) seem to fit the profile of a Syracuse University student. They must have some money, or else they most likely wouldnt be attending IMG, and thus are likely not scared away by SU's private school tuition. They likely have decent aptitude and are decent students, but they are not elite students who otherwise would attend a Brunswick, Deerfield, Taft, Choate, etc. and would likely be angling for an IVY-level education. Geography shouldnt be an issue since they are willing to travel to prep school, and likely also dont have closer options like the Maryland and Long Island kids.

My uninformed attempt at an educated guess - the kids who attend IMG (or a Bridgton Academy) seem to fit the profile of a Syracuse University student. They must have some money, or else they most likely wouldnt be attending IMG, and thus are likely not scared away by SU's private school tuition. They likely have decent aptitude and are decent students, but they are not elite students who otherwise would attend a Brunswick, Deerfield, Taft, Choate, etc. and would likely be angling for an IVY-level education. Geography shouldnt be an issue since they are willing to travel to prep school, and likely also dont have closer options like the Maryland and Long Island kids.

This is true for some recruits.

I believe the majority of SU recruits "guided" to Bridgton were definitely not paying full freight tuition there regardless of their family income.

One of the drivers has been differences in the Canadian education system (e.g. Drew Bucktooth). Not all SU guys who go through a Bridgton (now IMG) did so because their family could afford it.

impressed with this kid. For a little guy, he seems strong, uses leverage against bigger guys very well, good quickness and acceleration, very good base. I mean his wide stride and balance allow him to turn around close d's with relative ease. Good motor too. When he transfers again, I don't want to know about it.

It seems like we're seeing WAY more players reclass. So many are starting out at public schools, then going to private or prep schools and reclassing. In college hockey, players play in the junior leagues before going to US colleges, and are usually about 20 when they enter college. The logic behind this is that the rosters are smaller, there are fewer teams and so scholarship spots are limited. In lacrosse, it seems like we're heading in a similar direction, but the motivation must be different.

This is highly accurate. The reclass route is being pushed hard by the clubs and the private schools and is turning into the new norm. I'm seeing this in the tri-state area a lot and I'm hearing it more and more.

impressed with this kid. For a little guy, he seems strong, uses leverage against bigger guys very well, good quickness and acceleration, very good base. I mean his wide stride and balance allow him to turn around close d's with relative ease. Good motor too. When he transfers again, I don't want to know about it.
Agreed!

Okay... I'm saying it right now. I watched all of Matteo's highlights tonight - had only watched one when he was younger. This kid's skills are frickin' dirty, underrated and he will be a huge asset for us. Very fast hands, changes directions in a way very similar to Sowers, and seems able to stick the ball anywhere he wants in the cage. In a few years we're going to have the potential for TWO incredible attack lines. Duke is stocking up on big commits, but we will also be LOADED down low.

This is true for some recruits.

I believe the majority of SU recruits "guided" to Bridgton were definitely not paying full freight tuition there regardless of their family income.

One of the drivers has been differences in the Canadian education system (e.g. Drew Bucktooth). Not all SU guys who go through a Bridgton (now IMG) did so because their family could afford it.

Yeah, I think you're right about my take on Bridgton. Thinking back to when I was in high school, I recall a classmate who was a borderline D-1 player and not a good student taking a PG year at Bridgton Before transferring to UVM to play.

I don't think IMG is a school for that though. It is purely a sports academy (from the Nick Bolletteri days) with a tutoring/academic component.

I suspect the new Bridgton is one of the New Hampshire preps like New Hampton or Brewster, or even Salisbury, when they placed Voight prior to his coming to SU.

Yeah, I think you're right about my take on Bridgton. Thinking back to when I was in high school, I recall a classmate who was a borderline D-1 player and not a good student taking a PG year at Bridgton Before transferring to UVM to play.

I don't think IMG is a school for that though. It is purely a sports academy (from the Nick Bolletteri days) with a tutoring/academic component.

I suspect the new Bridgton is one of the New Hampshire preps like New Hampton or Brewster, or even Salisbury, when they placed Voight prior to his coming to SU.

You're 100% correct about IMG being significantly different from Bridgton or any other NEPSAC school.

I think IMG is the evolution of what the NE prep school PG option used to be. Kids typically did a PG year to either play against better competition (less so now with elite club travel teams) or prove they can hack it academically (aiming for an Ivy or to avoid any potential clearinghouse eligibility issues).

I think of a player like Steven Brooks (not from a traditional hotbed) who went to Bridgton and crushed it at SU. He might've been a player to go to IMG to prove his talent.

But again, the explosion of game and club/travel circuit have really minimized the need for guys to transfer East to prove their skills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom