Class of 2017 - New Commit: Nate Garlow (NY: Marcellus) Mid/FO | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 New Commit: Nate Garlow (NY: Marcellus) Mid/FO

Tough to take a lot away from a highlight video but he seemed to have a quick initial move/first step and seemed very comfortable with the ball in his stick.

Made all state in Football (RB)also and mom works for Newhouse. Know them well.
Would have thought football though. Not unexpected here. Super fast kid. When he got in the open...gone
He had close to 2,000 yards as a junior between receiving and rushing. This year he was hurt most of the year and still made 3rd. Team all state and all cny
Made all state two years running.

Last edited:
1,3 tonight over tully

Form what I have heard he will need a red-shirt year for sure and a couple of years to build strength before he could really compete at the D1 level. Person who has seen him play though he was more of a preferred walk on type of player. Still nice to get some depth though and as Salcido has shown if you work hard enough you can get on the field.

Form what I have heard he will need a red-shirt year for sure and a couple of years to build strength before he could really compete at the D1 level. Person who has seen him play though he was more of a preferred walk on type of player. Still nice to get some depth though and as Salcido has shown if you work hard enough you can get on the field.

A prep year wouldn't be bad neither.

In 2017, SU's face off guys are Varello and nobody else. Nick Martin was a face off guy in HS, but they seem to have converted him to something else. He also doesn't really fit their mold for a FOGO. He's taller than the guys they normally have.

SU has Jake Phaup and Nate Garlow coming in as FOGOs. If either or both of these guys plans to redshirt, then I would guess there would be a FOGO transfer coming in, which wouldn't be surprising at all.

Edit: Garlow's HUDL page from football says he's 170lbs. Phaup was wrestling this winter at 182 lbs, then 170 lbs. Neither are huge, but I'm encouraged that SU got some athletes for FOGOs.

Last edited:
In 2017, SU's face off guys are Varello and nobody else. Nick Martin was a face off guy in HS, but they seem to have converted him to something else. He also doesn't really fit their mold for a FOGO. He's taller than the guys they normally have.

SU has Jake Phaup and Nate Garlow coming in as FOGOs. If either or both of these guys plans to redshirt, then I would guess there would be a FOGO transfer coming in, which wouldn't be surprising at all.

Edit: Garlow's HUDL page from football says he's 170lbs. Phaup was wrestling this winter at 182 lbs, then 170 lbs. Neither are huge, but I'm encouraged that SU got some athletes for FOGOs.

I fully expect SU to bring in a FOGO transfer this summer. That would give SU Varello, the transfer, the 2 frosh and as you noted Martin who I believe has been cross-trained at LSM but still takes draws in practice. I think Phaup is likely to play next year, unless they want to move Garlow through his four years I can't see him not redshirting unless there are massive injury issues.

Who's the kid from Minnesota? His highlights vids are very nice.

Who's the kid from Minnesota? His highlights vids are very nice.

Are you talking about Thomas Washington? He's a 2018 recruit that was a recommendation from Ben Williams I believe.

Are you talking about Thomas Washington? He's a 2018 recruit that was a recommendation from Ben Williams I believe.

His face offs are clean and he could push for Pt as soon as he gets here.
Ben and baptiste were both from the middle of no where recruits righ?
This kids fits the mold and if you watch him he has tons of potential.

His face offs are clean and he could push for Pt as soon as he gets here.
Ben and baptiste were both from the middle of no where recruits righ?
This kids fits the mold and if you watch him he has tons of potential.

Baptiste was an east coast recruit/guy he just wasn't recruited by any Div 1 schools until Denver swooped in at the last second. I think he was headed Div 2.

You can never have enough faceoff guys and our last Fogo from Minnesota has worked our pretty well so sign me up.