Class of 2021 - New Commit: Nathan LeVine (NH) Defense | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 New Commit: Nathan LeVine (NH) Defense

Don’t often read a scouting report like this:

He's definitely a shortstick d-middie — and good one. He has the frame and size to be a physical presence in time. Comfortable with the ball in his stick in the clearing game and makes good decisions.

He's really comfortable on the defensive end and, if he continues to work on his craft and develop his athleticism, college coaches will have him on scouting reports early in his career.

From IL Evaluation:

One of the bigger compliments that you can pay a defensive midfielder is that they embrace the position, and it's not always something that you can teach. Big, powerful and athletic, LeVine knows his role and he plays it well, doing an excellent job at the top of the box in the defensive zone.

He's able to push dodging midfielders away into areas of the field where they have an extremely low chance of getting a shot off, doing so to the point that he was sometimes purposefully avoided during Sunday's games. LeVine was great in space and impactful off the wings, demonstrating a high motor at all times. He can absolutely play SSDM at a Top 20 school.

Seems like a smart recruit for a 2021 guy. Excellent size and cool to see devotion to the SSDM spot (although all his highlights are offensive in that most recent highlight tape). Already looks great now but still has two years to get bigger and stronger.

Interesting that we continue to get commits from a lot of high end poles and defenders. Levine looks like one of the better SSDMs in the class with a ceiling to be one of the best by the time he reaches campus.

Interesting that we continue to get commits from a lot of high end poles and defenders. Levine looks like one of the better SSDMs in the class with a ceiling to be one of the best by the time he reaches campus.
Perhaps it's the Matt Abbott/Joel White effect

Perhaps it's the Matt Abbott/Joel White effect

I think were to far removed from those guys to be honest, especially Abbott. I think the staff while having some issues with high end O talent recruiting has done a heck of a job bringing in quality defenders. When you look at this current class and the next couple its got multiple high end 4/5 star poles and getting a commit like Levine who looks like a stud SSDM already is huge.

I think were to far removed from those guys to be honest, especially Abbott. I think the staff while having some issues with high end O talent recruiting has done a heck of a job bringing in quality defenders. When you look at this current class and the next couple its got multiple high end 4/5 star poles and getting a commit like Levine who looks like a stud SSDM already is huge.

We hired an offensive coach, we get defensive recruits.

Go figure.

Excited to see the staff make a concerted effort to recruit the bigger/stronger type of athletes to the defensive midfield position. For too long the team relied on guys who were good players, but often got overpowered. With Dearth (who, if Levine bulks up could emulate at least physically), Helmer, Barlow and Small you all have guys over 6' who are also solidly built. And even though Dami is "only" 5'11 he's still plenty strong. Always interesting to see when a kid is recruited specially to be a short stick defender, I believe they did this with Dieball as well (who comes in at 6'5).

hate to invest the kid with heavy expectations, but here goes. Matt Abbott? I know I do this too much.

The 2021 class seems to be coming along nicely. In March's interview with Luke Cometti he talked a lot about balance and this class, so far, seems to have it, except it is missing one thing - offensive midfielders. Two attackmen, one d-middie, one close defender, one LSM, one FOGO and one goalie. It seems like both Corsi and Kelly are capable of playing midfield, but with so many seniors departing that year, it seems like that position should be a priority for this class.

Also, maybe a bit worrying is the lack of Top 100 players so far. A lot can change, but I don't remember SU ever not having a Top 100 player in a class. Corsi, Rolley and Fine seem like they could be on the brink, but it would be nice to see some of these top rated players sign for SU. There aren't a lot left at this point. I know IL ratings aren't the end all be all, but it's all we have to go on now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom