Class of 2022 - New Commit: Zach Mercado (TX: Austin) Mid | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 New Commit: Zach Mercado (TX: Austin) Mid

The fact that Zach is unranked and has no stars is just ridiculous. He is an absolute steal for our program and I suspect that he will make his presence known when he gets on campus.

The fact that Zach is unranked and has no stars is just ridiculous. He is an absolute steal for our program and I suspect that he will make his presence known when he gets on campus.

Maybe we're all getting a little too worked up about this rankings stuff. I mean, isn't it just Xanders opinion?

Maybe we're all getting a little too worked up about this rankings stuff. I mean, isn't it just Xanders opinion?

Yes, of course we do! If fairness to Xanders, I do think he does more than just watches these kids play (and I think he spends quite a bit of time watching high school lacrosse) - he listens to college, club and high school coaches and gets their opinions as well. My guess is that for the most part lacrosse is a pretty small community and once the word goes out that someone is pretty good, that knowledge spreads pretty fast.

I am guessing there is probably universal feelings about a lot of these five star kids. But everyone who does this sort of scouting for a reason struggles, I have no idea what a Mel Kiper's success rate is, but it can't be that good. Someone on LaxPower a while back looked at how many Power 100 kids ended up being All American and I can't remember exactly the results but it was from a majority. Players flop, or get better for all sorts of reasons, but for fans the offseason business of transfers and recruiting is fun to follow, so we buy into it. Plus, without Xanders we would just have ourselves to go off of.

As for Mercado, I wonder if he is rated with no stars because Xanders hasn't evaluated him yet? Austin, TX isn't exactly a hot bed. That said, regardless of where Inside Lacrosse rank him, I'll take a recommendation from Dom Finn and Luke Cometti any day of the week.

As for Mercado, I wonder if he is rated with no stars because Xanders hasn't evaluated him yet?

I am 100% confident that is the case. He definitely did not look at the kid and say "This guy sucks! I award him zero stars!"
Ty has been nothing but excellent with us this year when it comes to dropping good news. No need for any messenger shooting, which was tempting for many of us in years past.

I am 100% confident that is the case. He definitely did not look at the kid and say "This guy sucks! I award him zero stars!"
Ty has been nothing but excellent with us this year when it comes to dropping good news. No need for any messenger shooting, which was tempting for many of us in years past.
I agree with Powellfan as well. My guess is that Mercado hasn't been evaluated yet. Mercado seems like an SSDM, so I'm not anticipating him to be given 5 stars, or really even 4. I also agree on taking the word of the former players who are giving the coaches recommendations. Those have historically worked out very well.

Yes, of course we do! If fairness to Xanders, I do think he does more than just watches these kids play (and I think he spends quite a bit of time watching high school lacrosse) - he listens to college, club and high school coaches and gets their opinions as well. My guess is that for the most part lacrosse is a pretty small community and once the word goes out that someone is pretty good, that knowledge spreads pretty fast.

I am guessing there is probably universal feelings about a lot of these five star kids. But everyone who does this sort of scouting for a reason struggles, I have no idea what a Mel Kiper's success rate is, but it can't be that good. Someone on LaxPower a while back looked at how many Power 100 kids ended up being All American and I can't remember exactly the results but it was from a majority. Players flop, or get better for all sorts of reasons, but for fans the offseason business of transfers and recruiting is fun to follow, so we buy into it. Plus, without Xanders we would just have ourselves to go off of.

As for Mercado, I wonder if he is rated with no stars because Xanders hasn't evaluated him yet? Austin, TX isn't exactly a hot bed. That said, regardless of where Inside Lacrosse rank him, I'll take a recommendation from Dom Finn and Luke Cometti any day of the week.
It is fun. I think it is virtually impossible to distinguish between 3's and 4's with anything better than a coin flip's chance. My guess is the 3's per their proportion in the sample will achieve the same standard of success as 4's per their proportion in the sample. In other words the distinction is meaningless. I always trusted my gut reaction when observing hs kids. When I gasp a little and say wow to myself, I've seen a 5. For example, I lived near Yorktown, NY in the 70's. I watched Tim Nelson for 10 or 15 seconds the first time I saw him and gasped. For me, to award a five, most observers who see the player have to react viscerally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom