New Cornerbacks Coach: Travis Fisher | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

New Cornerbacks Coach: Travis Fisher

4 new coaches. 1 more spot to fill.
Another moved from QB to OC & QB.
Now the question becomes do they add another Secondary coach (Safeties) or let Fisher take both in order to hire a LB coach and let Rocky Long solely focus on gameplan etc.

This is all second hand info, but a friend of mine is a Nebraska football enthusiast [originally from Nebraska]. I see him at our daughter's soccer practices every week. We chatted about Tony White going there, the transfer Safety from Nebraska coming here, etc. He follows their team / recruiting as closely as we follow SU's, so he is knowledgeable about their program.

Last week I talked to him about Fisher. His take was that their fanbase was really upset about him leaving. That they understood that Rhule as a new coach coming in obviously wants to bring their own coaches with them, but apparently Fisher was VERY well liked by their fans.

Sounds like they've also put some DBs in the pros recently, and he's considered a strong recruiter. He's fairly young, and the recruits / players listen to him, because of his NFL pedigree.

He apparently came in and told the DB room: "I'm here to recruit your replacements. And it's your job to ensure that when they get here, you don't lose your job." Sounds like they had fierce competition for PT, that their DBs tackle well, and that he coaxed the most out of them. They had a big recruit from a couple of years ago who hadn't lived up to the five-star pedigree, then Fisher came in and turned the kid into a coveted draft prospect at Safety [think he's going pro this year].

So not much to go on -- but it sounds like the Nebraska fanbase thought favorably of him, which is a good sign.
Thanks for sharing that

This is all second hand info, but a friend of mine is a Nebraska football enthusiast [originally from Nebraska]. I see him at our daughter's soccer practices every week. We chatted about Tony White going there, the transfer Safety from Nebraska coming here, etc. He follows their team / recruiting as closely as we follow SU's, so he is knowledgeable about their program.

Last week I talked to him about Fisher. His take was that their fanbase was really upset about him leaving. That they understood that Rhule as a new coach coming in obviously wants to bring their own coaches with them, but apparently Fisher was VERY well liked by their fans.

Sounds like they've also put some DBs in the pros recently, and he's considered a strong recruiter. He's fairly young, and the recruits / players listen to him, because of his NFL pedigree.

He apparently came in and told the DB room: "I'm here to recruit your replacements. And it's your job to ensure that when they get here, you don't lose your job." Sounds like they had fierce competition for PT, that their DBs tackle well, and that he coaxed the most out of them. They had a big recruit from a couple of years ago who hadn't lived up to the five-star pedigree, then Fisher came in and turned the kid into a coveted draft prospect at Safety [think he's going pro this year].

So not much to go on -- but it sounds like the Nebraska fanbase thought favorably of him, which is a good sign.

Attachments

• 19AA2B44-A135-4D7E-BFF2-F0D2BF9A61E8.jpeg
    19AA2B44-A135-4D7E-BFF2-F0D2BF9A61E8.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 37
Rocky was DC/LB for the last three years at New Mexico.
Almost correct. Rocky was the DC and LB coach at NM in 2020 and 2021. In 2022, they promoted a young guy to LB coach and Rocky focused on being a DC.

Travis Fisher has mostly coached all the defensive backs in the past, so he knows CBs and safeties and is used to the workload. But it would be a big ask to have him responsible for so much of the defense (5/11) in his first year coaching the 3-3-5.

I assume Rocky gave up the LBs last year at NM for a reason (too much work for a guy his age?), so this might come into play.

And remember, Coach Achuff was the LB coach before he took over the DL and could easily move back there if we found a DL coach we really liked.

Dino already addressed the key areas he needed to for recruiting, so I don’t think recruiting is a giant concern here. We have Florida covered, so have a couple of coaches for PA and we have a guy for NJ/NYC. The biggest area that we don’t have covered right now is the DC metro area. If we can get a good defensive coach with a lot of contacts in that area, that would be awesome. But honestly, we have been struggling somewhat in that area for some time. Not a big deal if we go in another direction

Bottom line, we could conceivably hire a safeties coach, a CB coach, an LB coach or a DL coach. Given the backgrounds of our staff, there is a lot of flexibility here.

Almost correct. Rocky was the DC and LB coach at NM in 2020 and 2021. In 2022, they promoted a young guy to LB coach and Rocky focused on being a DC.

Travis Fisher has mostly coached all the defensive backs in the past, so he knows CBs and safeties and is used to the workload. But it would be a big ask to have him responsible for so much of the defense (5/11) in his first year coaching the 3-3-5.

I assume Rocky gave up the LBs last year at NM for a reason (too much work for a guy his age?), so this might come into play.

And remember, Coach Achuff was the LB coach before he took over the DL and could easily move back there if we found a DL coach we really liked.

Dino already addressed the key areas he needed to for recruiting, so I don’t think recruiting is a giant concern here. We have Florida covered, so have a couple of coaches for PA and we have a guy for NJ/NYC. The biggest area that we don’t have covered right now is the DC metro area. If we can get a good defensive coach with a lot of contacts in that area, that would be awesome. But honestly, we have been struggling somewhat in that area for some time. Not a big deal if we go in another direction

Bottom line, we could conceivably hire a safeties coach, a CB coach, an LB coach or a DL coach. Given the backgrounds of our staff, there is a lot of flexibility here.
I'd Iike to see Achuff stay at DL. What he did with an undersized and banged up group was pretty remarkable. I can't wait to see how he molds the group going into next season.

I'd Iike to see Achuff stay at DL. What he did with an undersized and banged up group was pretty remarkable. I can't wait to see how he molds the group going into next season.
I agree. Thought he turned out to be a big upgrade over the last DL coach. Would rather go with one of the other options here if possible.

I don't know the function of the safeties in the 335 but if they have unique assignments coupled with the rover positions then I don't see Fisher coaching the entire group. He'd likely just sticking with cornerbacks. It seems the LB responsibilities almost require Rocky to coach them because of their 335 responsibilities. I'm guessing they hire another coach for safeties and It makes me wonder if this hire will be a Rocky guy.

I don't know the function of the safeties in the 335 but if they have unique assignments coupled with the rover positions then I don't see Fisher coaching the entire group. He'd likely just sticking with cornerbacks. It seems the LB responsibilities almost require Rocky to coach them because of their 335 responsibilities. I'm guessing they hire another coach for safeties and It makes me wonder if this hire will be a Rocky guy.

yeah whooops...I should have read the board first. This thread was open from this morning lol.
All told, I think the new hires worked out really well. We got a great development coach for OL and some good on field and good recruiter combos for the other spots.

That said, suspect Coach Farmer, who has the best connections in Texas on the staff, played a role in getting our new WR from that state.

Last edited:
All told, I think the new hires worked out really well. We got a great development coach for OL and some good on field and good recruiter combos for the other spots.

That sad, suspect Coach Farmer, who has the best connections in Texas on the staff, played a role in getting our new WR from that state.

I’m a big fan of Coach Farmer and his hiring.

That sad, suspect Coach Farmer, who has the best connections in Texas on the staff, played a role in getting our new WR from that state.
I like this staff better than the one we had two months ago so I’m happy hehe

Someone needs to help out our new coach regarding his Twitter. Get at least a reference to Syracuse somewhere on it or am I just a technology neanderthal looking in the wrong place?

From what I read, Fisher is really well respected. Is this a DC in waiting situation. I love Rocky but how many years does he realistically have in the coaching world? Bring in Rocky to teach the guys the defense inside and out, to hand it off?

From what I read, Fisher is really well respected. Is this a DC in waiting situation. I love Rocky but how many years does he realistically have in the coaching world? Bring in Rocky to teach the guys the defense inside and out, to hand it off?
I think Travis is a great hire. But Chris Achuff has been coaching the 3-3-5 for a couple of years already. He has coached in the NFL. And he was a DC at Navarro.

If you look at Darrell Perkins, he has a lot more experience coaching than Travis. And he was a co-DC at Fordham.

It will be hard for Travis to move by both, especially Achuff.

I think the 3-3-5 is going to remain a hot defense in coming years. More schools like Nebraska are going to want to give it a try. I expect this will make Syracuse defensive coaches more interesting to other staffs and we will continue to see other schools try and steal them away.

Might be one of the reasons Coach Fisher and Coach Perkins decided to come here. It is a great place to be if you are a defensive aassistant that wants to be a DC someday. Or maybe even become a HC, like Jason Arnett.

Thinking Coach Achuff is likely to succeed Coach Long when he decides to retire. The other coaches look like they could become DCs down the road as well.

Last edited:
I’m a big fan of Coach Farmer and his hiring.
Any specific intel or based on previous track record? I respect your opinion and you are usually spot on w these things.

Any specific intel or based on previous track record? I respect your opinion and you are usually spot on w these things.

Nothing specific. Just opinion. I analyzed his track record and then watched some videos and interviews etc. The mic'd up videos left an impression on me. I like his enthusiasm and delivery. I think he's going to change our OL culture. "be violent, we're not going to go through life being soft"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom