New Director of HS Relations: Dennis Thomas | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New Director of HS Relations: Dennis Thomas

Coach Babers take the opportunity to make an upgrade when filling a vacancy once again. I think this is a great hire.

But we will have to see what happens down the road to know for sure.
Who is he replacing?

Who is he replacing?
Their titles are slightly different but I am assuming he is replacing Khalil.

Khalil did a good job but I think Dennis is more tapped in and well respected.

Dennis is a NJ native, went to HS and college in NJ, has coached at several HS in NJ with distinction and even coached at the college level in NJ.

It is hard to imagine a more well qualified hire here.

We need someone to get our recruiting kick started. We’ve had a lot of kids visiting and saying great things about their visits, but how highly regarded are these recruits.

Dennis is a NJ native, went to HS and college in NJ, has coached at several HS in NJ with distinction and even coached at the college level in NJ.

Gino Gigliotti, who has been on the recruiting staff for a couple of years, is now Director of Recruiting.

Ahmad was never the Director of High School Recruiting, his title was Director of High School Relations.
Gigliotti has been the Director of Recruiting since March 2022.

Last edited:
Dino smartened up and realized the program needs to put significant resources into New Jersey
Amen. He was relying too much on a scattershot approach, a mix of his and his(old) staff’s connections in the Midwest, Florida via Monroe and then random Southeast pulls. No reason why we can’t get some good NJ talent. I think ADJW was pretty clear when they talked after 2021 about not only his program expectations but what he believed was needed to get us there. He is starting to open up the checkbook more and Dino is making some excellent hires and focusing on places like Jersey and the portal to upgrade talent to go along with better coaches to develop them

Ahmad was never the Director of High School Recruiting, his title was Director of High School Relations.
Gigliotti has been the Director of Recruiting since March 2022.

Cool.

This is what Deon was doing then, correct? How long has this position existed?

Cool.

This is what Deon was doing then, correct? How long has this position existed?
As long as Babers has been HC. The position has been held by JB Gerald, Rayan Bartow, Deon and Ahmad,

There was a time where Kentarius Womack from Alabama was going to come to deliver us from evil

Not to mention the human bull, Jarveon Howard, we got from Mississippi.
kentarius, nice kid. Loved fishing

Amen. He was relying too much on a scattershot approach, a mix of his and his(old) staff’s connections in the Midwest, Florida via Monroe and then random Southeast pulls. No reason why we can’t get some good NJ talent. I think ADJW was pretty clear when they talked after 2021 about not only his program expectations but what he believed was needed to get us there. He is starting to open up the checkbook more and Dino is making some excellent hires and focusing on places like Jersey and the portal to upgrade talent to go along with better coaches to develop them
Opened the checkbook to recruit New Jersey? What does it take? You buy an old Trans Am. You buy some pasta. Bada beep bada boop. You get recruits.

Dino smartened up and realized the program needs to put significant resources into New Jersey
If this is actually the approach, I think this is a terrible idea. EVERYBODY recruits New Jersey.

The Top 25 players in NJ in 2023 committed to 20 different schools. In 2022, the Top 25 committed to 15 different schools. It's a small state, and while it's talent rich, you're not going to snag 5 or 6 guys who are ACC quality but are also the type of recruit Syracuse can land when EVERYONE is putting an emphasis on New Jersey.

If this is actually the approach, I think this is a terrible idea. EVERYBODY recruits New Jersey.

The Top 25 players in NJ in 2023 committed to 20 different schools. In 2022, the Top 25 committed to 15 different schools. It's a small state, and while it's talent rich, you're not going to snag 5 or 6 guys who are ACC quality but are also the type of recruit Syracuse can land when EVERYONE is putting an emphasis on New Jersey.
I thinks it’s a great idea. We were best when we had 5 or more Jersey guys on our team. Too much talent and too close not to go hard at that state. Shoulda been done 8 years ago.

I thinks it’s a great idea. We were best when we had 5 or more Jersey guys on our team. Too much talent and too close not to go hard at that state. Shoulda been done 8 years ago.
Last year's roster had 7 Jersey guys. 2019 had 5 Jersey guys on scholarship. 2015 (Shafer's last year) had 6 Jersey guys on scholarship. 2011 (Marrone's 3rd year) had 9. We do recruit New Jersey.

I think it's a fool's errand to put all of the eggs in one basket. It's a painful fact that we don't win recruiting battles with any consistency. There's a certain type of recruit Syracuse can land that can make it work in the ACC without winning recruiting battles, but that takes casting a wider net than in one state.

Opened the checkbook to recruit New Jersey? What does it take? You buy an old Trans Am. You buy some pasta. Bada beep bada boop. You get recruits.
cant forget the gum for the mothers

Last year's roster had 7 Jersey guys. 2019 had 5 Jersey guys on scholarship. 2015 (Shafer's last year) had 6 Jersey guys on scholarship. 2011 (Marrone's 3rd year) had 9. We do recruit New Jersey.

I think it's a fool's errand to put all of the eggs in one basket. It's a painful fact that we don't win recruiting battles with any consistency. There's a certain type of recruit Syracuse can land that can make it work in the ACC without winning recruiting battles, but that takes casting a wider net than in one state.
Yup and Penn st, ND have first dibs.