New Football Renovations Announced Finally! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New Football Renovations Announced Finally!

I never say never but that was a glorious opportunity that got away from us. I hope someday, someone puts together another package that is pleasing to all sides and gets it done. There is one thing that I learned, the university would love to have all academic buildings surrounding the quad. A project like that takes a point man to organize. Someone who has connections to movers and shakers. Someone who is bold enough to push through the obstacles and who can make it attractive to all parties involved. People who know how & where to get financing. That group back in 07-08 had all of that.
So OE, were those investors hit by the stock market, so that they would not be able to re-present this same sort of proposal in the future? You mention they had every angle covered, so it's a true shame if the one group of investors that had every angle taken care of is no longer either willing or able.

I was just up at Skytop today with an individual showing him where the new stadium was being proposed just before the stock market went into the crapper. Several things happened which I'm not going to get into here that put everything in the wrong direction. There were investors who were fast trackers who met with TGD. The OK was given from the top to proceed. Sometime take a ride to the very top of Sky Top, you'll see there is plenty of land for a stadium/hotel/restaurant. Parking and access were to be on the perimeter taking out part of Drumlins Golf course. Some of the people at the meeting were investors another individual had been involved in other stadium projects. It was a business deal whereby the university provided the land and the people getting the financing would get parking/concessions and other rights. The university would get their state of the art stadium with retractable roof and the football program would get the shot in the arm to get jump started back to relevance. They were looking at an el system for use to transport fans and students back & forth to the main campus. The restaurant would be a hall of fame type with the decor in SU colors, trophy & picture displays, rooms where you could view videos of great games. The talks were serious.

I got a kick out of a statement from an old friend, state senator John DeFrancisco when asked about the possibility. I think it's a foolish idea, they can't even fill the stadium that they have. It's the same kind of narrow minded thinking that was expressed back in 1969 when my group first proposed a domed stadium. Frank Gualteri, who was the Republican candidate for mayor, said he thought it was a grandiose idea in these times of inflation. At the time a domed stadium similar to what was built would have cost $6 million. There were state and federal matching funds available. About 10 years later that figure went up by around $20 million.

I know who the investors were...
ENLARGE_01SS_DestinyUSA.jpg

HAHA!

I never say never but that was a glorious opportunity that got away from us. I hope someday, someone puts together another package that is pleasing to all sides and gets it done. There is one thing that I learned, the university would love to have all academic buildings surrounding the quad. A project like that takes a point man to organize. Someone who has connections to movers and shakers. Someone who is bold enough to push through the obstacles and who can make it attractive to all parties involved. People who know how & where to get financing. That group back in 07-08 had all of that.
Depressing

ok, so did anyone notice the flash video clip showing more the conceptual images has been edited since i first posted this afternoon? The original clip i saw was 1 min long and had images what the outside of Manley would look like as part of this reno, now those slides are gone and the video clip is only 37 seconds long. I wonder why they edited it?

It's the same kind of narrow minded thinking that was expressed back in 1969 when my group first proposed a domed stadium. Frank Gualteri, who was the Republican candidate for mayor, said he thought it was a grandiose idea in these times of inflation. At the time a domed stadium similar to what was built would have cost $6 million. There were state and federal matching funds available. About 10 years later that figure went up by around $20 million.

True, but if SU had built the Dome in 1969, it would have had shag green carpeting.

I know who the investors were...
ENLARGE_01SS_DestinyUSA.jpg

HAHA!

Funny thing is that as I was reading OE's post, all I could think of was the Emerald Hotel from Destiny. I'm sure there were solid plans in the works for Skytop. Unfortunately, plans like this rarely come to fruition in Syracuse.

True, but if SU had built the Dome in 1969, it would have had shag green carpeting.

Don't forget the wet bars, smoking allowed in all 88 sections, 8' ceilings, and SOA light bulb scoreboards hanging in the end zones.

And that's a bad thing...why?

Also, where the hell is my pony ride? I'm just glad you didn't say "mustache ride."

I think SU has bigger plans in the future for Skytop. If and ever there is a new stadium, they will place the entire football complex at Skytop with the stadium. If they can make Manley a state of the art facility, they are making the right decision at the moment. This will also keep the new weight room as part of the football complex. If you add a couple of editions to Manley, it could become top shelf.
build it and they will come! Not exactly sure who will come...but build it anyhow!

build it and they will come! Not exactly sure who will come...but build it anyhow!

They will come, but all the games will be down in New York City !!

Agree with this. Once you're on the field, as long as the turf is good, does it really matter what else is around?

What DOES matter, and what makes an impression on recruits and current players, are the bells and whistles OFF the field. That's why everyone makes such a huge deal about, for instance, Oregon's locker room.

rumor has it that everywhere you walk around in Oregon's lockeroom they have paper dispensers all over the place

A lot of people thought he was involved, never was.

For what it's worth I used to work for a HVAC company that did work with Destiny and one of the proposals they had for the waterfront area included a "state of the art sports arena" along the waterfront (think Pirates/Steelers) with an open end facing the lake. That being said they never had drawings and it could have been a baseball stadium for the Chiefs. They never really specified what it was for (and I don't think Congel won the bid for the waterfront anyways).

Great news. Would be nice to drive a stake through the heart of the "but our facilities suck" excuse.

Exactly. It's primary impact will be to silence the critics.

And that's a bad thing...why?

Also, where the hell is my pony ride? I'm just glad you didn't say "mustache ride."

Schiano would have used the carpet against us.

Im back in town for the spring game and had a chance to visit with some people this week on the Hill. The improvements are going to be world class. 5m is a very healthy budget for what they are doing. As to Manley i personally believe that with another 5-10 million they could turn that into a fantastic practice facility but long term the university has much grander plans. As to the Dome i hope we keep improving it and that we dont take football off campus as it is one of the best venues in college sports. anyway the renovations are going to be spectacular and with the dome and manley we have two fantastic facilities as it is. Great step by the school one that should provide Doug and crew with all of the tools they need for recruiting.