New Grass Football Practice Field | Syracusefan.com

New Grass Football Practice Field

BVille44

All Conference
This may have already been posted but the turf football practice field next to the pine trees has been converted to a natural grass field. While at the SU soccer game tonight I noticed a large dirt pile behind the end zone and there were automatic sprinklers watering what looked to be new sod. Babers has to be thrilled that he will have a grass practice field close to the football wing in the very near future.

BVille44 said:
This may have already been posted but the turf football practice field next to the pine trees has been converted to a natural grass field. While at the SU soccer game tonight I noticed a large dirt pile behind the end zone and there were automatic sprinklers watering what looked to be new sod. Babers has to be thrilled that he will have a grass practice field close to the football wing in the very near future.
It makes sense to get a grass practice field so the team can acclimate when they play an opponent on the road who plays on grass.

Like UConn for instance next week...

TexanMark said:
SU would love to expand the Soccer Stadium but I heard NIMBY resistance would be high.
i can understand neighbors concerned over building a domed stadium at Drumlins.

Why would they be concerned over expanding the soccer stadium? The stadium already has lights and stands on one side of the field. There is a big empty field that buffers the soccer stadium from Lancaster.

If SU builds a set of stands on the eastern side of the field, I would think if anything, it would serve as somewhat of a barrier to insulate Lancaster from noise from the facility.

Additional seating is sorely needed as men's soccer establishes itself as a major college powerhouse. And this is the logical place to host lacrosse games and the spring football game during the years of the Dome renovation project. More seating will also be needed for these types of temporary events that could be held there.

Why would they be concerned over expanding the soccer stadium? The stadium already has lights and stands on one side of the field. There is a big empty field that buffers the soccer stadium from Lancaster.

If SU builds a set of stands on the eastern side of the field, I would think if anything, it would serve as somewhat of a barrier to insulate Lancaster from noise from the facility.

Additional seating is sorely needed as men's soccer establishes itself as a major college powerhouse. And this is the logical place to host lacrosse games and the spring football game during the years of the Dome renovation project. More seating will also be needed for these types of temporary events that could be held there.

The Soccer Stadium holds 2,100?

We would need at least 5-6,000 for LAX.

The Soccer Stadium holds 2,100?

We would need at least 5-6,000 for LAX.
Yes, hence the need to expand it. Adding seats like the ones on the west side of the field should get seating to 4200. Seats could easily be added to the hill on the south side of the stadium (kids sit there routinely already for big games). It might be harder on the north side...I don't think there is as much room to add stands there.

Should be feasible to get to 5 or 6 K without much problem. It would also improve the home field advantage in soccer enormously. For lacrosse, it would be a lot more intimate setting but the grass field would probably hurt the team.

For at least some time periods during the renovation, I do not think the Dome is going to be able to host lacrosse. The university needs to think about where those home games will be played instead.

I agree, though not quite convinced that they need more seats, but I haven't heard anything about NIMBYs. My understanding is that SU can't justify making the investment. They were going to install the old stands from the track facility on the south end, but then cheaped out (students occupy that space, students don't generate revenue at soccer games, students are fine on the grassy hill).

If anything, neighbors would rather see a south or east side grandstand constructed than continue looking at those horrible banner ads and chain link fencing.

I agree, though not quite convinced that they need more seats, but I haven't heard anything about NIMBYs. My understanding is that SU can't justify making the investment. They were going to install the old stands from the track facility on the south end, but then cheaped out (students occupy that space, students don't generate revenue at soccer games, students are fine on the grassy hill).

If anything, neighbors would rather see a south or east side grandstand constructed than continue looking at those horrible banner ads and chain link fencing.
Agreed. NIMBYs should not be a factor here.

Attendance for men's soccer so far this season:

UMass 1709
Loyola Marymount 1468
Colgate 1540
St John's 1623
Hofstra 1005

I didn't include the game against New Hampshire at Ensley that was closed to the public.

Pretty good numbers for teams that are not big powers or conference rivals.

BC has an excellent program, so does UNC and Wake. I bet we have sellouts for all three of those games and I bet V Tech draws a big crowd was well. For comparison purposes, I know SU had crowds of 2200 last year for Rutgers and Louisville and I know they had a sellout against Notre Dame the year before.

But the expansion should be being driven more by lacrosse than the emergence of strong attendance at men's soccer games. Assuming we are going to lose the Dome as a venue for men's lacrosse for one or more seasons. If that isn't the case, maybe leaving the field at current capacity can be justified.

Agreed. NIMBYs should not be a factor here.

Attendance for men's soccer so far this season:

UMass 1709
Loyola Marymount 1468
Colgate 1540
St John's 1623
Hofstra 1005

I didn't include the game against New Hampshire at Ensley that was closed to the public.

Pretty good numbers for teams that are not big powers or conference rivals.

BC has an excellent program, so does UNC and Wake. I bet we have sellouts for all three of those games and I bet V Tech draws a big crowd was well. For comparison purposes, I know SU had crowds of 2200 last year for Rutgers and Louisville and I know they had a sellout against Notre Dame the year before.

But the expansion should be being driven more by lacrosse than the emergence of strong attendance at men's soccer games. Assuming we are going to lose the Dome as a venue for men's lacrosse for one or more seasons. If that isn't the case, maybe leaving the field at current capacity can be justified.

Agreed. I think lacrosse needs to drive the bus in this expansion, as 5-6K is not a plausible number for soccer (in my estimation, at least. I could be wrong.)

While the turf to grass change might hurt lacrosse, the intimate feeling should help create a more hostile atmosphere for big games. It probably would be a 1-2 year thing, but I think it might be a refreshing change from the Dome. Call me crazy.

NIMBY in Cuse...one or two well connected folks complain to Miner--->lots of delay and added expense for SU

NIMBY in Cuse...one or two well connected folks complain to Miner--->lots of delay and added expense for SU
The way I see it, the choices are to expand the soccer stadium in a minor way, with minimal impact on the surrounding neighborhood, or build a 70K domed stadium as close as possible to the area, along with co-locating an inland railroad based port next to P&C, with new railroad tracks coming up Colvin and down Lancaster and Meadowbrook Drive.

The neighbors can decide what option is best.

I'm a little skeptical about this with the soccer stadium - will ask you more about it on Saturday at the tailgate

Didn't they make a big deal about converting the practice fields to turf a while back? Everything old is new again.

Seems like this might slow us down if we practice on it
marijuana-field.jpg