New Holder? | Syracusefan.com

New Holder?

BlazeOrange

Starter
Was going to title this thread "Another QB Leaving" but I hate those misleading headlines...

With TIGL Charlie Loeb graduating, we will need to install a new holder for field goals. Any idea on HCSS' philosophy here? He kind of inherited Charlie at the postition, so we don't know for sure if he'll continue using a QB there to support fakes, use the punter to allow them to practice more, or something else.

Once Charlie was effectively out of the QB and backup QB competition, he had the opportunity to maintain a role there. That may not be the case with the #2 spot wide open next season (and a token competition for the starting job). Odd are that whoever takes this over will be quicker though.

I'd like to know if Charlie will be an offensive GA next year.

I hope so.

I'd like to know if Charlie will be an offensive GA next year.

I hope so.

I hope he takes HCSS's offer for that position. I read that HCSS would love for him to come back in some capacity with the program.

Wilson - Kimble is too tall to bend over like that!

Presume one of the current redshirt QB's.
Either the loser of the battle for QB2 if both end up higher on the depth chart than the incoming frosh
OR
The higher-ranked redshirt if one of the true frosh wins the backup role

Would be a real nice spot for Kinder, but he's not staying around, is he? I know he came out with the Seniors, but not sure if it was confirmed that he's taking his degree and leaving.

Was going to title this thread "Another QB Leaving" but I hate those misleading headlines...

With TIGL Charlie Loeb graduating, we will need to install a new holder for field goals. Any idea on HCSS' philosophy here? He kind of inherited Charlie at the postition, so we don't know for sure if he'll continue using a QB there to support fakes, use the punter to allow them to practice more, or something else.

Once Charlie was effectively out of the QB and backup QB competition, he had the opportunity to maintain a role there. That may not be the case with the #2 spot wide open next season (and a token competition for the starting job). Odd are that whoever takes this over will be quicker though.

The specIal teams people tend to spend a lot of time practicing among themselves, which makes it unpractical for a QB to serve as the holder. My guess is that Riley Dixon ends up serving as the holder next season. That would put a lot on Dixon's plate; he would in all likelyhood serve as the punter, kick off and hold on PATs and FGs. Maybe he should get 2 scholarships next season.

The specIal teams people tend to spend a lot of time practicing among themselves, which makes it unpractical for a QB to serve as the holder. My guess is that Riley Dixon ends up serving as the holder next season. That would put a lot on Dixon's plate; he would in all likelyhood serve as the punter, kick off and hold on PATs and FGs. Maybe he should get 2 scholarships next season.

You're right, special teams players usually spend all of their practice time together. Which is why punters tend to be holders for kickers. You need to find something for the punter to do while the kicker is practicing, why not hold the ball for him.

SU ran more fake FGs this season than in the previous ten seasons combined. If that is to continue, I would hope that we utilize a QB as the holder.