New Jersey family finds signed baseball cards, possibly worth millions | Syracusefan.com

New Jersey family finds signed baseball cards, possibly worth millions

MSOrange

2020 Cali Award Winner, Regular Season Record
I used to be a big card colllector with my dad when I was growing up and I still pick up a few packs every season just to see the new design. I always enjoy stories like this about finding lost treasures

There was one trading card company that put a stick of gum in the pack of cards in the 80s. Don’t remember which one but my father collected the cards but didn’t open them to try to preserve their value. Five year old me opened up all the packs for the gum. 30 years later, I think my father has finally forgiven me.

There was one trading card company that put a stick of gum in the pack of cards in the 80s. Don’t remember which one but my father collected the cards but didn’t open them to try to preserve their value. Five year old me opened up all the packs for the gum. 30 years later, I think my father has finally forgiven me.

That's funny! My dad was more into the investment side of it also. He and I are just very different people. He and I used to put the cards into sheets when we had an entire set. I used to take my time and read the stats on the back of each card and he always said I could do that after the job was done.

Some years back a friend gave me his card collection. It was really interesting seeing what another person valued as a kid.

It was kind of weird actually. He had somee valuable stuff in there, probably 30 some cards he could have sold between $10 and $50 each. Some autographed cards that were cool, too When I realized that I asked him if he was sure he didn't want those back and so he could get some money for him. He told me his wife wouldn't let him take them back. She thought it was a stupid hobby, and it actually made her mad to think that people would pay money for the cards. So he realized he just needed to let the collection go. Just wasn't a fight he wanted. Even though he probably could have made some quick cash for them, she wanted nothing to do with it. Couldn't get past it.

This experience has always fascinated me.

Usually for your birthday, as an adult, you do something out on the town with family and friends. Obviously, because of Covid, this year was different, so my wife asked me if I wanted something for my birthday. Out of the blue I said, how about some packs of baseball cards?? - so she made it happen!

Opening up my first pack of baseball cards in 20+ years was really a lot of fun. Feeling the cards, the smell of the cards, reading the stats, and taking my time w each card felt so good and comforting.

Made me think summers as a kid riding my bike across town to go take some infield w my friends at the baseball field, buying a Gatorade afterwards, and then spending a few hours hanging out at the card shop on the main drag.

Browsing the cards through the glass case, seeing Marvin Harrison’s rookie card with his white Colts helmet - no horseshoe - just a sticker above the facemask that read HARRISON in black marker, the owner guy showing us his new favorite pieces, talking sports, getting sucked into playing fantasy football (wt.f is fantasy football?), picking on each other, talking about girls, video games...

I’d love to relive one of those days again.

Usually for your birthday, as an adult, you do something out on the town with family and friends. Obviously, because of Covid, this year was different, so my wife asked me if I wanted something for my birthday. Out of the blue I said, how about some packs of baseball cards?? - so she made it happen!

Opening up my first pack of baseball cards in 20+ years was really a lot of fun. Feeling the cards, the smell of the cards, reading the stats, and taking my time w each card felt so good and comforting.

Made me think summers as a kid riding my bike across town to go take some infield w my friends at the baseball field, buying a Gatorade afterwards, and then spending a few hours hanging out at the card shop on the main drag.

Browsing the cards through the glass case, seeing Marvin Harrison’s rookie card with his white Colts helmet - no horseshoe - just a sticker above the facemask that read HARRISON in black marker, the owner guy showing us his new favorite pieces, talking sports, getting sucked into playing fantasy football (wt.f is fantasy football?), picking on each other, talking about girls, video games...

I’d love to relive one of those days again.
For sure. I grab a pack now and again. It's fun.

My son hasn't gotten into it yet, but the potential is there. He had a short stint being into Pokemon cards. I'm hoping that's a gateway.

For sure. I grab a pack now and again. It's fun.

My son hasn't gotten into it yet, but the potential is there. He had a short stint being into Pokemon cards. I'm hoping that's a gateway.
I think that would be a fun thing to do with your son. If he likes sports I’m sure he’ll grow into digging the cards eventually.

My brother stayed into it over the years. One element is for the fun of it and the other element is to try and make some money.

He actually has made some money off of it over the years. His strategy is to buy up cards of under the radar young players that he thinks have the chance to explode at some point. And then try to move them when they finally do explode.

He started collecting Paul Goldschmidt cards strictly because a guy he works with is his cousin. Bought up hundreds of cards for cheap when he was first coming into the pros. Guy ends up being an All Star, gold glove, slugger, haha!

I’ve been talking to him about how to, loosely, get back into collecting. He said he doesn’t buy packs anymore because the value isn’t there at all. I said - but that’s the most fun part!!