New Mexico is hiring Jason Beck as OC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New Mexico is hiring Jason Beck as OC

Isn't sunlight part of the weather?
I’d be ok if people complained that it is too cloudy half the year. It’s a fair grievance and yet it’s a lot less of a put down than saying it’s too cold or it snows all the time.

I agree w that. The no sunlight is killer. Id rather it be sunny and 45 than cloudy and 70.
You had me until you said 70. You can do pretty much everything outside at 70. 45 is a lot more complicated.

I’d be ok if people complained that it is too cloudy half the year. It’s a fair grievance and yet it’s a lot less of a put down than saying it’s too cold or it snows all the time.
Too cold or snowy is subjective. I've lived in the south for 16 years after living my first 31 in Oswego County. I never want another CNY winter, even one with two months of snow/slush/salt/etc. Some people love it. That's great. I don't get why they get so up in arms when others say they don't. I hear people say they hate the heat and humidity of the south. I get that too. If I'm going to deal with one or the other, I prefer that trade off of that to the northern winters. To each there own.

Too cold or snowy is subjective. I've lived in the south for 16 years after living my first 31 in Oswego County. I never want another CNY winter, even one with two months of snow/slush/salt/etc. Some people love it. That's great. I don't get why they get so up in arms when others say they don't. I hear people say they hate the heat and humidity of the south. I get that too. If I'm going to deal with one or the other, I prefer that trade off of that to the northern winters. To each there own.
There's an implicit bias that sweltering heat is more acceptable than bitter cold and snow.

Some people believe that. I am one of them. Why does that bother you? Nobody is telling you that you have to feel that way. It's one thing that's great about our country. We have weather for every preference.
It bothers me from a recruiting perspective. Have you ever heard a negative pitch to a star athlete that Texas or Florida is too damn hot?

I admit that I HATE hot weather more so than the cold. But I also get tired of people complaining about the snow because it’s outdated and inaccurate. It’s like kicking the dog. Grass isn’t always greener down south. In fact it’s probably browner.

Hmm. Just to keep score that was 1 original football post followed by 3 almost-football related replies, 2 comedic gifs and then 16 weather replies. :cool:

It bothers me from a recruiting perspective. Have you ever heard a negative pitch to a star athlete that Texas or Florida is too damn hot?

I admit that I HATE hot weather more so than the cold. But I also get tired of people complaining about the snow because it’s outdated and inaccurate. It’s like kicking the dog. Grass isn’t always greener down south. In fact it’s probably browner.
You don't hear that because that's where the recruiting hotbeds are. They're well aware of their own weather. And most people from the south can't imagine dealing with what CNYers consider a mild winter, so it matters to some extent. Many have literally never shoveled snow, much less owned a snowblower. The idea of having even 50 inches of snow throughout an entire winter blows their minds.

There is a reason that "snowbirds" exist and a reason retirement communities exist in droves in Arizona and Florida. Most people like to escape the cold. You may not be one, but lots of people are. Kids often dream of going to the beach, and in the south you're a day's drive or closer from the Gulf of Mexico or the Carolina coast. Kids down here are outside riding bikes, playing sports, and going to the playground year round. And we don't have weeks of mud pit back yards after the snow melts. When we get a snow storm here like the one last winter with a whole 10 inches of snow (a once in a generation event in Knoxville), everyone gets excited for a day or two then by day three they complain that they want it gone. Imagine those people in CNY.

Should weather be the main reason an athlete picks a school? Probably not. It's up to each individual, though. I assume Fran points out that there are many more important things, and, as Michigan has shown, you can find great athletes that don't mind, or even prefer, the cold. People like you that complain about somebody expressing a preference for something other than CNY weather probably make it a bigger deal than the people that actually say they don't like the weather.

Last edited:
Unlike Dino who trashed our weather in a recent Arizona interview.
I don't think he trashed it, I think he said he was coming from a cold place. Dino did some good things here, just not enough of it. He left it better than he found it. His time had run it's course, time for an energetic, young go-getter, the #FRANchise era has begun. I'm betting Fran brings us to a higher level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom