New realignment rumors from BE meetings... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New realignment rumors from BE meetings...

Why would they vote to waive to 27 months without some consession from SU and Pitt -- ie $$$? The only way that makes no sense is if the vote is conditional on agreeing terms with "The Replacements" or is only part of the picture (e.g. SU and Pitt have a buy-out in place with the BE but are keeping quiet). Otherwise, the BE has no incentive to give on the 27 months.

The league is quickly falling apart. They will lose more teams. They have to add teams now to try to keep their BCS berth. This is where politics and anti-trust laws will help them. Big East has every incentive to let schools leave so there is room for new replacements.

I think this is the part where you are incorrect. I think longtimeposter had it correct above, the TV deal could only fall apart if they were below 10. At 10 I think it still holds. Otherwise they would have already added 2 more after Colorado and Nebraska left.

That is correct, they cannot fall below 10.

However if I'm any of the Big 12 schools except the Texahoma 4, I'm worried about future stability regardless of the 6-year grant of TV rights. 10-4 is only 6. One hopes that they would learn from what has happened to the Big East both in 2003 and 2011.

Cheers,
Neil

Thoughts:

1) Goodbye to 16
The survival of the B12 means the death of the 16 team super-conference. There just aren’t enough quality teams left for conferences to justify expanding to 16. Look at the trouble the SEC is having with #14.

In order to hit the magic #16…
PAC 12 needs 4 schools
SEC needs 3 schools
B10 needs 4 schools
ACC needs 2 schools

That is an additional 13 schools. Outside of ND, there are no other schools that can be considered a true “meter mover”. Conferences aren’t going to cut into their profits just to bring a Rutgers or UConn to the table. If you can find 13 schools that A) bring value to a TV contract B) fit academically & athletically and C) are regionally acceptable…….you are better than I.

2) “14 is the new 16”
However, I do see enough schools out there to bring everyone to 14. For the B12, stopping at 14 gives them strength (and security) in numbers should Texas or OU bolt, but doesn’t open them up to mediocre programs (a-la SMU).

3) WHAT DO YOU MEAN NO? DON’T YOU KNOW WHO I AM???
How bad does the SEC look if they get snubbed by Mizzou? WVU may end up in the SEC by default. Let me qualify this by saying that expansion obviously isn't over yet and they are certain to make a play for ACC schools if things go to 16…..however unlikely that may be.

4) Notre Dame stays Independent
I honestly believe that if the Big East basketball conference survives as a viable entity, Notre Dame will remain independent.

They've been pretty good in hoops for a long time, although seldom championship caliber. The football team was so-so until recently, but has become a good program.

I'm aware of Mizzou's athletic history...I was a young man when SU beat the then Norm Stewart led team in a thrilling NCAA Tournament game...Yes, Mizzou has had a decent program, but clearly nothing exceptional, especially in football, which is, along with marketshare, supposed to be the driving force in this crazed football expansion/realignment. Since Missouri is neither an elite or top tier football entity, nor is it located in a large TV market (again, Columbia is smaller than Syracuse & St. Louis and KC are relatively distant pro cities) I find the SEC's apparent enamored courtship of them a bit puzzling...

Missouri has certainly been thrusted into a strong position. The Tigers are like that girl in high school who was very popular, wasn't very pretty but seemed to get dates with the populars. Missouri has other talents, mainly the media markets but not much in looks.

Mizzou puts out.

Thoughts:

1) Goodbye to 16
The survival of the B12 means the death of the 16 team super-conference. There just aren’t enough quality teams left for conferences to justify expanding to 16. Look at the trouble the SEC is having with #14.

PAC 12 needs 4 schools
SEC needs 3 schools
B10 needs 4 schools
ACC needs 2 schools

That is an additional 13 schools. Outside of ND, there are no other schools that can be considered a true “meter mover”. Conferences aren’t going to cut into their profits just to bring a Rutgers or UConn to the table. If you can find 13 schools that A) bring value to a TV contract B) fit academically & athletically and C) are regionally acceptable…….you are better than I.

2) “14 is the new 16”
However, I do see enough schools out there to bring everyone to 14. For the B12, stopping at 14 gives them strength (and security) in numbers should Texas or OU bolt, but doesn’t open them up to mediocre programs (a-la SMU).

How bad does the SEC look if they get snubbed by Mizzou? WVU may end up in the SEC by default. Let me qualify this by saying that expansion obviously isn't over yet and they are certain to make a play for ACC schools if things go to 16…..however unlikely that may be.

I honestly believe that if the Big East basketball conference survives as a viable entity, Notre Dame will remain independent.

I cannot EMPHASIZE how fortunate we are to be headed to the ACC. Would not want to UCONN or RU right now, regardless of how it eventually shakes out down the road.

Thoughts:

1) Goodbye to 16

PAC 12 needs 4 schools
SEC needs 3 schools
B10 needs 4 schools
ACC needs 2 schools

2) “14 is the new 16”

I still maintain as I have for years, that in the end (which still may be ears down the road), it will be 5x16. Will save a lot of political and legal issues also.

Mizzou puts out.

Unquestionably!

That jibes with my experience which occured decades before yours. It's nice to know that there are some constants in the universe that transcend time.

Big 12 is going to adopt the TV revenue sharing rules, so I think Mizzou is staying put.

Ray of hope for the couch burners.

It boggles my mind that Mizzou would reject an offer from the SEC.

Does anybody else have the funny feeling that the Big East will not only survive, but with the addition of new teams, actually get a competitive tv deal? And that the bball side will actually remain very strong? This isnt to say that Im not happy about being headed to the ACC...

Does anybody else have the funny feeling that the Big East will not only survive, but with the addition of new teams, actually get a competitive tv deal? And that the bball side will actually remain very strong? This isnt to say that Im not happy about being headed to the ACC...

Nope, Big East is cooked.

Nope. Stick a fork in it.

"2) “14 is the new 16”
However, I do see enough schools out there to bring everyone to 14. For the B12, stopping at 14 gives them strength (and security) in numbers should Texas or OU bolt, but doesn’t open them up to mediocre programs (a-la SMU). "

That mediocre SMU program just knocked off TCU on Sat.

Nope...

Just don't see it happening.

They could survive. If the B12 just adds BYU and the SEC stays at 13 for awhile the BE survives. Or if the SEC just takes WV, the BE could survive. For the BE to die as a BCS conference they need to lose both TCU and WV IMO. For them to die as a FB conference all together they need to lose Louisville as well.

The best thing for SU IMO is for the following to happen...

-B12 stays together including Mizzou.

-SEC takes WV

-B12 decides to go back to 12

-BYU says no thanks to B12

-B12 takes TCU, UL, and Cincy

-BE decides to no longer be a FB conference. This means SU and Pitt play in the ACC for 2012 FB.

-The BE allows USF to go to CUSA without penalty since the conference no longer plays FB and USF BBall sux.

-UConn decides to stay in the BE for all but FB, which goes to the MAC like Temple and UMass.

-ND decides to stay in the BE, meaning no B1G for RU.

-RU goes Indy in every sport and starts their own network making millions of dollars since they are so big in NYC. Actually RU would have to decide to follow USF or UConn. Either way it is good for us.

So RU, UConn, and USF would be in non BCS conferences. That helps recruiting for SU in the NY/NJ/PA area as well as in Florida. The BE would no longer have FB, which makes them happy. For BBall they would have...

UConn, GTown, Nova, ND, Marquette, St Johns, Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul, and maybe RU (depending if they chose CUSA or not)

That is a lot weaker than the ACC and should keep SU ahead in NE recruiting even after JB leaves.

If the BE goes strictly BB, there are some regionally fitting schools they could pick up to make up for some of the losses. I think with that conference profile, both Xavier and St. Joseph's would be good pickups. They also may want to consider Butler.

It boggles my mind that Mizzou would reject an offer from the SEC.
They must think that if they can score with Jennifer Aniston, they should easily be able to with Angelina Jolie.
But Missouri ain't no Brad Pitt.

The more I read and hear, the more I think that this is the scenario:

ACC (14) - FSU, Miami, G Tech, Clemson, UNC, NC State, WF, Duke, VA, Va Tech, MD, BC, SU, Pitt

B 10 (12) - Mich, Mich St., WI, OSU, Indiana, Iowa, Penn St., Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, MN

Pac 12 (12) - USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Oregon St., Wash, Wash St. AZ, AZ St., CO, Utah,

SEC (14) - UF, Tenn, 'Bama, Auburn, SC, Vandy, Arkansas, LSU, Miss, Miss St., Georgia, Kentucky, Texas A&M, Missouri

Big 12 (12) - Texas, Texas Tech, OK, OK St., Baylor, KU, K St., Iowa St, TCU, BYU, L'ville, WVU

Leftovers - Independents - ND, Navy, Army
Former BCS - Rutgers, UCONN, USF, Cincy
Prominent Non BCS - Boise St., Air Force, Nevada, Hawaii

If the Pac 12 is going to go to beyond 12, and the Big 12 teams are off the table, I would think the Boise St., Nevada, Hawaii, New Mexico group is where they'd have to look (which is essentially where they found AZ and AZ St. 3o years ago.)

On a related note... Notre Dame will be off to the Hockey East (at least for now). This means the Big Ten is not likely to happen, at least as of this time. Of course, who knows what will happen over the next few years. But of interest... it looks like Notre Dame will not be taking part in the H.E. television deals but rather having their own. One of the big points I've heard being discussed within the Notre Dame-B1G talks is the idea of leaving ESPN for a deal on Comcast (NBC/NBC Sports Net, formerly Versus). Comcast is eager to become a player, and the Big Ten will be the first major conference to be available to them.

I maintain a lot of what's being done behind the scenes with the Big Ten is a play for 2015, hence why they (the B1G) are not in much of a hurry right now during expansion talks.

If Missou stays put WVU will be #14 SEC. The Big XII will add BYU, TCU, Lousiville to get to back to 12.
The remaining BE FB schools (UConn, RU, Cincy, USF) will have to take in half of C- USA and in effect become a new Conference USA. Yikes. However, b-ball will still be pretty good with UConn, Nova, GT, ND, Marquette.