new rules on faking injuries | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

new rules on faking injuries

It's certainly a slippery slope to have kids stay in a game who are hurt, so how do you police it? Just remember, it's going to be the same rule on the offensive side of the ball to I would imagine. I'd hate to lose my RB or QB or LT for an entire series. Guys hobble off all the time and then come right back in next play or two later.
I agree with your intent, it is a serious issue as is the issue of abuse of the rules. If a player tweaks an ankle or knee, sitting for 5-10 minutes of game clock is probably in his best interest anyway.

While I would hate losing a key player for a series, 5-10 minutes, the half, or whatever, this also provides the medical and training staff to observe a little longer before allowing them back on the field. Even a real tweak generally takes more than a play or two before a player can return to the field.

NOTE: This does not include an equipment failure that often can bee fixed over the span of one play.

While "the rest of the series" is highly variable, it should also be THE MINIMUM.

IF you are "hurt" enough to cause a stoppage in play, you then need to sit out the remainder of that series.
Period.

I'd also like to see a game-time based (since "real time" is so ridiculous, depending on what else may be going on, a quarter end or halftime, kickoff or other change of possessions, etc) minimum bench time.

So, maybe call it the rest of the series, OR 5 minutes of game time, whichever is GREATER.

(I could easily be talked into making that 10 minutes of game time)
Yes, real time only encourages streaker fans, or debris thrown on the field to waste time.

If play is stopped for an injury, the referee should shoot the player right on the field and have the player’s body dragged off. Watch injuries plummet.
Extreme, but

1614032406535.png

I say 4 plays or the next series if the team scores. If you are a specialty player on D, one of those four plays could be your role (short yardage, dime, nickel, etc) and your team should suffer by missing you for that play.

I'd have no problem with making a player sit out 5 minutes of game time for any injury whenever the trainers have to come out on the field.

The game that needs this kind of rule more than football is futball. It always makes me laugh to see the players rolling on the field in agony, only to spring up after the foul is called and sprint to the offensive end of the field. That stuff would stop immediately if their team had to play shorthanded for 2 or 3 minutes of game time.

I watch a ton of football and it's everyone's least favorite part. VAR was only made it worse as greater chance of reward when slowed down.

Mainly though It's because there's no timeouts or real stoppages of play otherwise. Not the case in American football. Also, if trainers come out players (aside from keepers) have to go off until 4th official let's them back in and team plays a man down until then. Additionally the 3 sub rule and players can't come back once subbed.

There has to be some happy medium to be had though. Faking in any sports is obnoxious and there isn't equal recourse for those faking as there is reward for players tricking the ref and that's seemingly universal to all sports

I'd have no problem with making a player sit out 5 minutes of game time for any injury whenever the trainers have to come out on the field.

The game that needs this kind of rule more than football is futball. It always makes me laugh to see the players rolling on the field in agony, only to spring up after the foul is called and sprint to the offensive end of the field. That stuff would stop immediately if their team had to play shorthanded for 2 or 3 minutes of game time.

I find that happens far more in Spain and Italy than in England or Germany. In England and Germany, they treat futbol like it's a man's game, not the Oscars.

I watch a ton of football and it's everyone's least favorite part. VAR was only made it worse as greater chance of reward when slowed down.

Mainly though It's because there's no timeouts or real stoppages of play otherwise. Not the case in American football. Also, if trainers come out players (aside from keepers) have to go off until 4th official let's them back in and team plays a man down until then. Additionally the 3 sub rule and players can't come back once subbed.

There has to be some happy medium to be had though. Faking in any sports is obnoxious and there isn't equal recourse for those faking as there is reward for players tricking the ref and that's seemingly universal to all sports

How to fix VAR - the refs should ONLY change obvious errors.

Get rid of this microscopic examination of offsides calls.

And if it's clearly offside (you can see daylight between the offensive player and the last defender), put the flag up right away.

Oh, one more - there has to be some element of intent (or at least awareness ...) for handball in the penalty area to be awarded with a spot kick.

If play is stopped for an injury, the referee should shoot the player right on the field and have the player’s body dragged off. Watch injuries plummet.
I think if we are talking about paint balls, colored hot pink, you are really on to something here...

Agree. Faking injuries is an awful practice that needs to be cracked down on hard and eradicated.

Besides the dishonesty and fans having to see terrible acting by players who do not want to act, the fake injuries serve to slow games down and kill crowd energy and excitement.

The game of college football is struggling. Let's get the dishonesty out of the game, speed the games up and allow energy and excitement to be sustained as much as possible. It was bad enough for many fans to deal with 3 hour games. Some games are dragging towards 4 hours, without overtime. That is insane.

Why would anyone who cares about the game want to support this practice?
You didn't mention it, but fake injuries also undermines sympathy for real injuries.

Players are legitimately hurt on some of these fouls, no question. What I'd like in soccer when a player goes down is for the referee to signal that the trainers can come on the field and then the 4th official takes out a stopwatch in one hand and raises the other over his head. After 2 minutes he signals to the referee and the guy comes out of the game for at least 2 minutes of game time and can't reenter until play allows him to.

The biggest thing is that FIFA needs to recognize that this is the 21st century and organized teams have the capability to stop the clock on the scoreboard. The concept of stoppage time is beyond stupid. Stop the darned clock when the trainers come out on the field or when the ref is booking someone.

I find that happens far more in Spain and Italy than in England or Germany. In England and Germany, they treat futbol like it's a man's game, not the Oscars.
In Serie A, when a player goes down like he's been stabbed, it's because he's trying to draw a foul. In the EPL, when a player goes down like he's been stabbed, it's because he's been stabbed. ;)

Players are legitimately hurt on some of these fouls, no question. What I'd like in soccer when a player goes down is for the referee to signal that the trainers can come on the field and then the 4th official takes out a stopwatch in one hand and raises the other over his head. After 2 minutes he signals to the referee and the guy comes out of the game for at least 2 minutes of game time and can't reenter until play allows him to.

The biggest thing is that FIFA needs to recognize that this is the 21st century and organized teams have the capability to stop the clock on the scoreboard. The concept of stoppage time is beyond stupid. Stop the darned clock when the trainers come out on the field or when the ref is booking someone.
yeah not really understanding why the dont just use a real clock. of course it still doesnt just end since 4 min stoppage can still mean most anything the ref wants.. A game the other day a team had like a 4 on 1 and the ref said HT.. Other times it goes 2-3-4 min beyond stoppage.. Imagine if BBall had that where as long as the team with the ball was moving forward game just continued then until they shoot and all the tip ins were tried and the offensive rebounds were finished and then sometimes they let the D get the ball and run down court fast and others they ended the half..

its like when a team scores with 40 secs left and the other team just ingores the ball for 10 secs and then passes it in with 30 left so they get the last shot. Live ball start the shot clock when the ball goes thru the hoop you still end up with 20-25 secs no matter what.. Its like fball used to wait until it was marked but just went to the straight 40 secs when the play ends.

Stopping the clock would make it worse. Not knowing how much actual time is left in a match keeps teams from timewasting more early on because they could be down later and need the time while opposition time wastes. Otherwise would see it used as timeouts every 10 mins or every time a team was under pressure and needed a breather.

Added benefit to football (soccer) is the ref doesn't have to stop play (sans head injury), nor does either team have to put the ball out if they believe it not to warrant the level of embellishment. Equally a defensive player staying down establishes the offsides line which is why you don't see them faking injuries (except on corners).

Maybe that's the ticket in American football, if a player goes down let the other team decide if they want to keep playing or not with a guy laying on the field? Lville DB goes down on his own for the 3rd time in our drive? Yup, line em up and let us run the play with him still lying on the field. "oh but he's really hurt this time!", well sorry you faked the first 2 and used up our good sportsmanship. Feel free to burn a timeout for him though.

Well you could try penalizing fakers by making them wear a pink tutu for the rest of the series, but Rutgers players would like it too much...
On the plus side, Big10 football would be entertaining again. And, opponents would be laughing so much, Rutgers may be able to score once or twice.

Getting back to the OP: If players want to flop and fake injuries they should be removed from the football team and relegated to play soccer. For life. The one flop rule applies.

Further, on the way to the locker room, the flopper runs the gauntlet of the opposing team employing SUTomCat's rule of using paintball guns with pink paintballs to shoot the flopper as he leaves the field.

Then the flopping team loses 10 scholarships for 4 years. No more gray shirting (SEC, that means YOU!). If a walk on is used as the flopper, the offending team loses 30 scholarships for 5 years, effectively killing the program.

No way. In soccer, 9/10 the play continues with the guy down. This puts the team with the injury at a disadvantage.

In football, faking an injury happens at a dead ball and disadvantages the other team.

No way. In soccer, 9/10 the play continues with the guy down. This puts the team with the injury at a disadvantage.

In football, faking an injury happens at a dead ball and disadvantages the other team.
What I was trying to talk about (actually in both instances) is when someone goes down, play is stopped, and the training staff has to come out onto the field for them. In either sport, if the training staff comes out onto the field, there should be a requirement that the player has to stay out for X amount of game time. In a lot of instances in soccer, it seems like the way teams can call a timeout when soccer doesn't have any timeouts. Give the soccer players X amount of time to get up, and then if they don't , the training staff gets called onto the field and they sit out for X minutes of game time.

What I was trying to talk about (actually in both instances) is when someone goes down, play is stopped, and the training staff has to come out onto the field for them. In either sport, if the training staff comes out onto the field, there should be a requirement that the player has to stay out for X amount of game time. In a lot of instances in soccer, it seems like the way teams can call a timeout when soccer doesn't have any timeouts. Give the soccer players X amount of time to get up, and then if they don't , the training staff gets called onto the field and they sit out for X minutes of game time.

That's exactly what happens now, just no specified time a player has to be off the pitch prior to the 4th official allowing them to return. They play a man down until the ref allows them back on. Would be much simpler if they were held off until the next stoppage of play but then would punish those that were actually hurt.

I think there is a misconception among those that don't watch soccer that all players that go down are faking it. It happens too much but it's not a constant in majority of matches. Most players hop right up if they don't get a call, and majority that stay down have a reason to do so. Spikes on legs hurt, head contact without helmets hurt, etc. The game referees itself with play not having to stop and players on the pitch being well aware of who the divers are and what a legitimate foul look and sound like.

That's exactly what happens now, just no specified time a player has to be off the pitch prior to the 4th official allowing them to return. They play a man down until the ref allows them back on. Would be much simpler if they were held off until the next stoppage of play but then would punish those that were actually hurt.

I think there is a misconception among those that don't watch soccer that all players that go down are faking it. It happens too much but it's not a constant in majority of matches. Most players hop right up if they don't get a call, and majority that stay down have a reason to do so. Spikes on legs hurt, head contact without helmets hurt, etc. The game referees itself with play not having to stop and players on the pitch being well aware of who the divers are and what a legitimate foul look and sound like.
Yes, I know soccer players really do get hurt, some to the point they can't continue and need a sub. My point is not everyone goes off when the training staff comes out for them in a bunch of sports. The rule change I'd like to see in all sports is that if the training staff comes out for you, you have to go off for a specified amount of game time and not just until the next whistle (basketball) or the next play (football).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom