New Sagarin ratings | Syracusefan.com

New Sagarin ratings

Delmar

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Frosh Scorer
Here's the top 20. Maybe it's just me, but I am detecting a strong bias for the Big 10.

1. Michigan State
2. Wisconsin
3. Iowa
4. Ohio State
5. Michigan
6. Minnesota
7. Indiana
8. Illinois
9. Nebraska
10. Purdue
11. Northwestern
12. Penn State
13. Maryland
14. Rutgers
15. Arizona
16. Villanova
17. Oklahoma State
18. Creighton
19. Iowa State
20. Kansas

Here's the top 20. Maybe it's just me, but I am detecting a strong bias for the Big 10.

1. Michigan State
2. Wisconsin
3. Iowa
4. Ohio State
5. Michigan
6. Minnesota
7. Indiana
8. Illinois
9. Nebraska
10. Purdue
11. Northwestern
12. Penn State
13. Maryland
14. Rutgers
15. Arizona
16. Villanova
17. Oklahoma State
18. Creighton
19. Iowa State
20. Kansas

Is this for real?

Those damn computers!!

Perhaps there was a temporary glitch in the applicaton of his formula. Seems to have been amended.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm

EDIT - I suspect I missed the sarcasm in your post because it has B10 schools at 2,3, 4 and 7, and Syracuse at #11.

1. Michigan State
2. Wisconsin
3. Iowa
4. Ohio State
5. Michigan
6. Minnesota
7. Indiana
8. Illinois
9. Nebraska
10. Purdue
11. Northwestern
12. Penn State
13. Maryland
14. Rutgers
15. Arizona
16. Villanova
17. Oklahoma State
18. Creighton
19. Iowa State
20. Kansas

confuseddave.gif

It's probably rating all the B10 schools highly, and then they play each other, so the SOS goes up, and it's like a vicious cycle.

Pomeroy has 4 B10 teams in the top 10 as well. Does have Zona and SU 1-2, with Nova 3. (So that win is looking pretty nice) Of course Baylor is now 35, so that one doesn't look as good.

I wonder why Pomeroy and Sagarin are so different on us.

Lol his pure elo makes me laugh. It pretty much says here's my computer numbers but this is where I'd really rank them. We have been 1 and 2 all year.

worthless. he has a 4 loss Kansas team ahead of us. He has nova, a team we beat by 16 ahead of us.

While I don't understand the Syracuse rating of #11 vs #2 on KP (perhaps system must really hate close wins at home against a few modest teams), I think the Kansas rating of #10 is pretty fair.

I think most top 25 teams outside of the top 10 would have about 4 losses as well if it played the same schedule.

Iowa St, Florida, Colorado and Oklahoma on the road
Duke, Villanova, and New Mexico on a Neutral Court
San Diego St, Kansas St and Georgetown at home.

Nobody else has played anything close to that schedule.

Lol his pure elo makes me laugh. It pretty much says here's my computer numbers but this is where I'd really rank them. We have been 1 and 2 all year.

That being said his ELO method which only uses wins and losses, or a similar method (that only uses wins and losses and not margin) should replace the trash that is the RPI.

Yeah Kansas has played a brutal schedule. When they win the B12 again I won't be surprised in the least. #10 sounds right to me, give or take a few spots in either direction cause really, who knows.

Essentially, because we didn't blow out shitty competition our ranking is hurt.

Munching on cupcakes is good according to Sagarin.

While I don't understand the Syracuse rating of #11 vs #2 on KP (perhaps system must really hate close wins at home against a few modest teams), I think the Kansas rating of #10 is pretty fair.

I think most top 25 teams outside of the top 10 would have about 4 losses as well if it played the same schedule.

San Diego St, Kansas St and Georgetown at home.

Nobody else has played anything close to that schedule.
Problem is they only won a few of those games and Duke really sucks .

Problem is they only won a few of those games and Duke really sucks .

They went 4-3 in those games. What teams outside of the top 5 do you think would go 5-2 in those games (remember that 4 of them are on the road vs teams currently in the top 25)

Duke is not a great team, but they are still a top 25 team. They are certainly not any worse than Baylor, a team we have put on a pedestal all year.

1. Michigan State
2. Wisconsin
3. Iowa
4. Ohio State
5. Michigan
6. Minnesota
7. Indiana
8. Illinois
9. Nebraska
10. Purdue
11. Northwestern
12. Penn State
13. Maryland
14. Rutgers
15. Arizona
16. Villanova
17. Oklahoma State
18. Creighton
19. Iowa State
20. Kansas

Forget Sargarin. Here's a better page that shows about ten different ratings and then does an average:

http://masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

Essentially, because we didn't blow out shitty competition our ranking is hurt.

Munching on cupcakes is good according to Sagarin.

...and this is why his predictor rankings are crap, while his ELO rankings are usually pretty good. It's irrelevant if you beat a cupcake by ten instead of twenty points - but it matters far too much in his rankings that take margin of victory into account.

Surely Ohio state will drop to 8 now in Jeffrey's rankings lol. Pitt will probably move into top 2 when they lose to us.

Yeah Kansas has played a brutal schedule. When they win the B12 again I won't be surprised in the least. #10 sounds right to me, give or take a few spots in either direction cause really, who knows.

The Big 12 is pretty much already a 2 team race.

...and this is why his predictor rankings are crap, while his ELO rankings are usually pretty good. It's irrelevant if you beat a cupcake by ten instead of twenty points - but it matters far too much in his rankings that take margin of victory into account.

Yes and No. Beating a cupcake by 30 instead of 15 or 20 may not be that relevant. But beating a cupcake by 8 points or less, in my view is quite telling. So margin does matter, but moreso on one end of the equation.

The Big 12 is pretty much already a 2 team race.

Your eliminating Iowa St? They have certainly put themselves in a large hole by losing at home already,

Apparently computers don't actually watch games. Who knew? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom