New ST Coach: Bob Ligashesky | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New ST Coach: Bob Ligashesky

I think he is just taking his degree and moving on.

Weird he could replicate his Freshman year and get to the NFL.

He was nearly as good as a sophomore too.

The man's got his work cut out. Whose our kicker next year? Can he mentally unphruck our punter?

Does Hawkins end up surpassing Williams? Does our walk on beat our schollie kid?

Who has a leg for kickoff and FG?

I was scouting the internets a few days ago for ST candidates. Ligashesky was one of the names that I thought would be a good hire. I know it’s purely a coincidence but I’m happy to say I could help.

Prove it

Weird he could replicate his Freshman year and get to the NFL.

He was nearly as good as a sophomore too.
He’ll get an opportunity regardless and it will come down to how he performs in camp.

A good ST coordinator can make a huge difference, and it's not just punting and kicking. Iowa's offense left a lot to be desired this year, but their ST and defense won several games for them. Their ST coordinator was a LB in college, but primarily played ST in his 6 years in the NFL. The players talked about how he noticed something on film when Nebraska was punting from the left hash, got a feel for their cadence and they blocked a punt for a TD that changed the game. He also noticed something on Illinois coverage that helped Iowa set up blocking that led to a 100 yd kickoff return.

A good ST coordinator can make a huge difference, and it's not just punting and kicking. Iowa's offense left a lot to be desired this year, but their ST and defense won several games for them. Their ST coordinator was a LB in college, but primarily played ST in his 6 years in the NFL. The players talked about how he noticed something on film when Nebraska was punting from the left hash, got a feel for their cadence and they blocked a punt for a TD that changed the game. He also noticed something on Illinois coverage that helped Iowa set up blocking that led to a 100 yd kickoff return.
ST wins Rutgers at least two games a year

It's a Schiano focus

So yes, very good specials can help a struggling team get over the hump.

They won us games in the 90s.

VaTech used incredible specials to build their program.

He is a DL guy and we have a hole there, assuming he stays. You are acting like STC is some novel concept. They have always excited and have always found a position home. We had one 2016-2020.

Huh, Novel concept? No idea what you’re talking about. But you don’t coordinate special teams all practice long though. You need to coach a position. And like I said, my guess is that he coaches TEs.

He’s not going to coach DL or WR. If he coaches Safeties they’d have to move Monroe and I find that unlikely.

The only scenario I see where he wouldn’t coach a position is if they move TEs to Schmidt.

Huh, Novel concept? No idea what you’re talking about. But you don’t coordinate special teams all practice long though. You need to coach a position. And like I said, my guess is that he coaches TEs.

He’s not going to coach DL or WR. If he coaches Safeties they’d have to move Monroe and I find that unlikely.

The only scenario I see where he wouldn’t coach a position is if they move TEs to Schmidt.
The kicking game alone could be 3/4 of every practice next year

It'll probably depend on who the OC is and what, if any staff they would like to bring in (a selling point Dino should use by the way providing one is really good in recruiting). Maybe they want 2 additional members, which isn't the worst idea considering the help this O needs.

TEs will probably be thrown into the WR coach. Maybe separate? Maybe get a QB coach. Maybe White handles DL and Dino gets an associate head coach/OC?

He has options and he has to nail these hires.

This was a good start.

The kicking game alone could be 3/4 of every practice next year
He has been a special teams, most of his career, and occasionally coached TE, so that is probably his job. The offensive CO will probably bring in a WR coach.

It'll probably depend on who the OC is and what, if any staff they would like to bring in (a selling point Dino should use by the way providing one is really good in recruiting). Maybe they want 2 additional members, which isn't the worst idea considering the help this O needs.

TEs will probably be thrown into the WR coach. Maybe separate? Maybe get a QB coach. Maybe White handles DL and Dino gets an associate head coach/OC?

He has options and he has to nail these hires.

This was a good start.

Agreed

Here’s a kick in the nads. According to the PFF grading system we were 81st in the country for special teams, tied with Bowling Green.
I’m sure he was dealing with a far dire group to work with then here. Bowling green fell off the map after there ad thought asking the all mighty google who there next head football coach should be, like some hitchhikers guide to the galaxy scene .

Here’s a kick in the nads. According to the PFF grading system we were 81st in the country for special teams, tied with Bowling Green.
What did bowling green rank last year?

What did bowling green rank last year?

Last year we were again 81st, Bowling Green was 122nd of 129 schools.

Last year were we again 81st, Bowling Green was 122nd of 129 schools.
So significant improvement in his 1 year there. I’m not sure exactly what level of talent MAC wise he was working with as they were a 2-8 team this season.

As long as the kick doesn't hit the post. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom