New stadium a different twist | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New stadium a different twist

I don't get this. This supports my opinion that S.U. students are among the worst student sections in the country. Unless your team is winning...noon, and a hangover, are good enough reasons to not go support your team? Come basketball season though, those 2 obstacles don't seem to matter to "Otto's Army" as they will gladly show up for a 12-1'oclock game. Otto's Army are a bunch of fairweather fans who's goal isn't to promote their school and help out their team, they're just a bunch of students who want 5 seconds on T.V. I mean holy crap, SU gave away free tickets to students for the first two home games and they left by halftime of the first game. What do you guys need...free booze as well? Free skinny jean handouts? Justin Bieber posters? Damn kids and their stupid twitterbook, and facepage. Always on their phones looking at the interweb!! WATCH SOME FREEKING FOOTBALL AND STOP TAKING SELFIES!!!!
Ladies and gentlemen - Dale Carnegie
upload_2015-9-15_9-1-52.jpeg

;)

PSU has a cow field (literally, that's where they keep their cows during non-games) that is right next to the stadium (you can actually literally park on the stadium lawn) and it is 100% filled with tailgaters. Some people actually tailgate and then don't go to the game (obviously most people go to the game, but it isn't unheard of to only go for tailgating). You're wrong about PSU.
i have been to many games at PSU/WV which are good tailgateing places. I know alums. yes they have a good tailgate but the vast majority of people are not tailgating. the parking below the dome is better than the mud pit PSU has. I think if you trippled the parking around the dome you would still hardly cause a ripple on the number of people setting up outside.

cuse309 said:
I don't get this. This supports my opinion that S.U. students are among the worst student sections in the country. Unless your team is winning...noon, and a hangover, are good enough reasons to not go support your team? Come basketball season though, those 2 obstacles don't seem to matter to "Otto's Army" as they will gladly show up for a 12-1'oclock game. Otto's Army are a bunch of fairweather fans who's goal isn't to promote their school and help out their team, they're just a bunch of students who want 5 seconds on T.V. I mean holy crap, SU gave away free tickets to students for the first two home games and they left by halftime of the first game. What do you guys need...free booze as well? Free skinny jean handouts? Justin Bieber posters? Damn kids and their stupid twitterbook, and facepage. Always on their phones looking at the interweb!! WATCH SOME FREEKING FOOTBALL AND STOP TAKING SELFIES!!!!

This is a bad post.

Look, having a great tailgating spot would be awesome and I'm all for it if we can make it happen. But if that were the main reason, why does basketball draw so well? I don't see many tailgaters December-February.

Look, having a great tailgating spot would be awesome and I'm all for it if we can make it happen. But if that were the main reason, why does basketball draw so well? I don't see many tailgaters December-February.
The travel to the dome, parking and the trudge up to it during the cold snowy winter is worse than for football... but I agree, it does not hinder attendance much.

People like to be affiliated with a winner. That's why so many go to basketball games.

if you put all the tailgates around the dome it would look full too and it kind does when you go thru the quad but still a small number of actual people.
very true. Syracuse is more spread out with tailgate areas than any school in the country. Apples to Orange i always say.

Its the same reason some people are religious. They don't like their current life..and feel the need to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Basketball gives Salt City people SUNSHINE in the harshest of winters. I don't mean no disrespect for any religious people out there btw.

I also find it hard to believe Syracuse isnt a football town, but is a basketball town. We're a small city with lots of surrounding small communities. Something I just dont understand how NY is different from Ohio and Pennsylvania in that way. Cant believe that more people from Cayuga and Cortland Counties dont come. Id even expect youd get people from oswego, Utica and Binghamton.

Marrone held a practice in Rochester and that was a bust. You better believe people are driving 2 hours to see penn state, Ohio state, alabama, ND etc
Rochester is aligned with Buffalo pro sports, not college sports.

Lol. Oh the irony. What don't you get? Enlighten me. Please point out where I said I didn't support the football team. I'll wait.

I see a lot of references to "you" in there, aka me. You're calling out the wrong person, rest assured.
I wasn't calling any one person out specifically, rather the student section as a whole. I didn't mean to imply that you personally don't support the team. I'm sure there were a portion of students that supported the football school. What my post meant to do, but obviously failed, was to point to the vast difference in the level of support for basketball vs. football. I feel like we're about the only school in the country that has to just about beg our students to attend football games, and support the team. Come basketball season it's a different story. I think it's because supporting basketball, and saying you're a Syracuse fan is easy to do when it's basketball. Students almost seem embarrassed when they talk about football. Not supporting the team, and not showing up only perpetuates this.

This is a bad post.
The ending was sarcastic...guess I should have used an emoticon huh? On the other hand, tell me where I'm wrong? Just stated facts. Students will pack the student section for a ACC conf. game at noon on a Saturday hung over or not. During football season the A.D. needs to give away free tickets to get them to attend.

The ending was sarcastic...guess I should have used an emoticon huh? On the other hand, tell me where I'm wrong? Just stated facts. Students will pack the student section for a ACC conf. game at noon on a Saturday hung over or not. During football season the A.D. needs to give away free tickets to get them to attend.
I don't know, basketball attendance for students has been waning the past few years. You think the student section would be packed for us to play GTech at noon on a Saturday? Not a chance. It wouldn't have even happened between 2009-2012, which was arguably our student section's finest moments.

cuse309 said:
I wasn't calling any one person out specifically, rather the student section as a whole. I didn't mean to imply that you personally don't support the team. I'm sure there were a portion of students that supported the football school. What my post meant to do, but obviously failed, was to point to the vast difference in the level of support for basketball vs. football. I feel like we're about the only school in the country that has to just about beg our students to attend football games, and support the team. Come basketball season it's a different story. I think it's because supporting basketball, and saying you're a Syracuse fan is easy to do when it's basketball. Students almost seem embarrassed when they talk about football. Not supporting the team, and not showing up only perpetuates this.

Why complain about the students right now? They've been fine the first 2 games.

Do you watch every football game in the country each weekend and look at the number of students?

I don't know, basketball attendance for students has been waning the past few years. You think the student section would be packed for us to play GTech at noon on a Saturday? Not a chance. It wouldn't have even happened between 2009-2012, which was arguably our student section's finest moments.

We consumed alcohol

Blacknight, bnoro, and myself were likely at over 95% of all Bball and football games from 2008-2012, so while I understand you aren't directing this at anyone in particular here (and none of these students you call out post here anyway), prepare for some backlash.

Blacknight, bnoro, and myself were likely at over 95% of all Bball and football games from 2008-2012, so while I understand you aren't directing this at anyone in particular here (and none of these students you call out post here anyway), prepare for some backlash.
I'm not taking anything anyone says as backlash, and obviously the people who I'm calling out don't post here, because they really aren't fans. I guess I'm just venting my frustrations. It should be MANDATORY for everyone to love cuse football as much as I do.

#1 They were given free tickets to attend. It's sad that it's gotten to this point.
#2 They were mostly gone by halftime.
#3 Coyle said he will not be issuing free tickets any more. Let's see how many students show up Saturday now.
#4 Can you honestly say that when you watch games on T.V. that our student participation comes even close to other schools? I don't care if it's Vanderbilt...their student sections are packed, engaged, and rocking. Ours need free tickets, and then they leave at halftime.

I literally don't care one bit. Zero effect on me. Zero I can do.

I still have friends in the area of syracuse, some of them go to games, many don't. Whatever. Some aren't interested in football in general.

I'm not taking anything anyone says as backlash, and obviously the people who I'm calling out don't post here, because they really aren't fans. I guess I'm just venting my frustrations. It should be MANDATORY for everyone to love cuse football as much as I do.

LOL. We had something going here but your credibility is gone with that last sentence, sarcasm or not.

Do you watch every football game in the country each weekend and look at the number of students?
Actually yes. Whenever I watch a game, I look upon the student section with great envy.

Yes, but it's still a respectable showing. At least the predominant color in that section is orange and not aluminum.

LOL. We had something going here but your credibility is gone with that last sentence, sarcasm or not.
Are emoticons the only way to convey sarcasm through text? I mean seriously. Let me try this...
It should be a law that everyone must love cuse football as much as I do. ;)

Why complain about the students right now? They've been fine the first 2 games.
#1 They were given free tickets to attend. It's sad that it's gotten to this point.
#2 They were mostly gone by halftime.
#3 Coyle said he will not be issuing free tickets any more. Let's see how many students show up Saturday now.
#4 Can you honestly say that when you watch games on T.V. that our student participation comes even close to other schools? I don't care if it's Vanderbilt...their student sections are packed, engaged, and rocking. Ours need free tickets, and then they leave at halftime.

When/where did he say that? Not saying he didn't, but I don't recall hearing/reading that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom