New staff,new qb, new system, this is what you get | Syracusefan.com

New staff,new qb, new system, this is what you get

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
On offense. I think Allen can play better but if he can't get right buy game 3-4. Hunt has to get a shot.

I thought his pocket presence and accuracy were atrocious. We have to be able to pass to run, plain and simple.

Win next week and we are right on course. Last years staff, with this team most likely wins this game, but when you have new staff you need to be patient, plain and simple.

I'm just glad the love affair is now over and we can get back to real life...

Broyld has horrible hands, sales and lemon will be missed terribly. I just hope we don't have to beat the press coverage thing to death again. Neither of those guys were very fast just knew the craft

I thought the game plan by the coaches were backwards. We tried to run up the middle but had our success running on the edges. We tried to pass to the edges but had our success passing down the middle. And they never adjusted. If we had a seasoned coach coaching the offense we would have won that game IMO.

program cant afford hackett type growing pains for our new oc-
if all he can do is recruit- adios

Northwestern is a much better offensive team than Penn State. We can't score nearly enough to beat them.

Exactly my thoughts! Our coaching staff as well as the entire offensive team were horribly out of sink. There were mistakes all over the place even play calling took too long. No way it's a moral victory either - we simply deserved to lose that game because of our offense our lack there of.

A lot of this game just screamed new players and new staff on offense. It also said that we didn't recruit as well at WR the last couple of seasons. It would be nice to start with a layup considering that situation, but it is what it is.

Northwestern is a much better offensive team than Penn State. We can't score nearly enough to beat them.

Again, stop drawing absolutes off one game, penn st was damn stout with their front 7. Anyone surprised that we couldn't push them around is a bit crazy..

NW has a pretty good chance to get beat this weekend and then has to fly back across country to play us. i dont think NW has a a better offense than PSU and their D is not nearly as solid.

A lot of this game just screamed new players and new staff on offense. It also said that we didn't recruit as well at WR the last couple of seasons. It would be nice to start with a layup considering that situation, but it is what it is.

I agree,but don't know if our receivers ever really had a shot with no running game, bad o line play and bad qb play, the whole thing was bad

Agreed. Credit to Penn St- they attacked Foy and Robinson all game with success. That contributed a lot to Allen's lack of comfort, and the play calling didn't help.

I agree,but don't know if our receivers ever really had a shot with no running game, bad o line play and bad qb play, the whole thing was bad

That was a stack the box game if there ever was one.

Allen had some zip on his throws, but those sideline routes seemed awful...don't know if it was him or the WRs.

NW has a pretty good chance to get beat this weekend and then has to fly back across country to play us. i dont think NW has a a better offense than PSU and their D is not nearly as solid.

NW was a 10 win team last year and is as well coached as any team out there. Their offense is solid and they will be very tough to beat, just like when we lost last year to them people were whining that they weren't very good, NW gets zero respect

That was a stack the box game if there ever was one.

Allen had some zip on his throws, but those sideline routes seemed awful...don't know if it was him or the WRs.

It was horrible all the way around... I just read for years that sales and lemon were t fast enough to beat press coverage and all of a sudden last year they were!!

program cant afford hackett type growing pains for our new oc-
if all he can do is recruit- adios
Sorry - this is an absurd post. It was the OC's FIRST GAME. What SU cannot afford is a proven high octane OC - there are not that many and SU cannot $$AFFORD$$ one. So we get a young inexperienced OC who is now 0-1 with brand new QBs (regardless of who played) and 2 new OL and 2 new WRs. Meanwhile we can all agree he has upped SU's recruiting game which is more than Hackett did for his first 3 years.

So after 60 minutes of 2013 SU football - who are you next OC candidates - not the young, inexperienced ones but the dynamic established ones that SU can pooch with $1M+ pay checks?

On offense. I think Allen can play better but if he can't get right buy game 3-4. Hunt has to get a shot.

I thought his pocket presence and accuracy were atrocious. We have to be able to pass to run, plain and simple.

Win next week and we are right on course. Last years staff, with this team most likely wins this game, but when you have new staff you need to be patient, plain and simple.

I'm just glad the love affair is now over and we can get back to real life...

Broyld has horrible hands, sales and lemon will be missed terribly. I just hope we don't have to beat the press coverage thing to death again. Neither of those guys were very fast just knew the craft

I saw one catchable ball that Broyld dropped. He made some nice catches and is an x-factor for this team. Flemming was better than expected. I was disappointed in West. Had Drew hit Kobena in stride that would have been an easy TD.

Biggest issue going fwd is play calling on O.

I thought the game plan by the coaches were backwards. We tried to run up the middle but had our success running on the edges. We tried to pass to the edges but had our success passing down the middle. And they never adjusted. If we had a seasoned coach coaching the offense we would have won that game IMO.

I thought for sure McDonald would make the necessary changes at halftime to call for some East-West runs, screens and long posts to the middle of the field (Wales?).

I nearly broke my remote when the first play was a handoff up the gut for a yard.

I still think the offense gets better, though. I'm just afraid it won't be in time for a quality opponent next Saturday.

I was a little baffled at the substitution patterns. Estime gets in there for one play and doesn't make a catch that he admittedly probably should have on a little swing pass, and we never see him again. Smith scores a touchdown and we don't see him for about four series after that, instead getting a heaping helping of PTG and then Morris for his first action of the game.

There was no rhyme or reason for who was in and when on offense, in terms of receivers and running backs. Kobena was barely on the field from what I saw. The only time I remember him being targeted after his 55 yard catch was on the interception that sealed our fate.

We got o Wales early and then he never gets another look. We go down the seam to Broyld once, he then drops a slant, and after that all we do is throw little screens to him.

There was just so much confusion on offense, and I'm not sure who takes the blame for that.

In guessing GM was a flustered and overwhelmed in the box today. Judging by the play calling and the numerous times we seemed slow to get a play in.
Hopefully he can sit down and get a better grasp on what he wants to do with his offense. The kids need leadership and direction.

That's not to bag on GM, if he's a good coach, which his reputation seems to bear out he will do this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Oh and to agree with Jek enough of the Deleone 1st down calls. Mix it up a little. Run some traps and maybe some play action seam routes to Wales on 1st. Just don't treat it like a throwaway down.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

NW was a 10 win team last year and is as well coached as any team out there. Their offense is solid and they will be very tough to beat, just like when we lost last year to them people were whining that they weren't very good, NW gets zero respect

I agree. If SU was going to split these B1G games they had a much better shot vs. Penn St. They aren't FSU or Clemson so I'm not completely writing SU off for next week but they'll be double digit dogs.

Sorry - this is an absurd post. It was the OC's FIRST GAME. What SU cannot afford is a proven high octane OC - there are not that many and SU cannot $$AFFORD$$ one. So we get a young inexperienced OC who is now 0-1 with brand new QBs (regardless of who played) and 2 new OL and 2 new WRs. Meanwhile we can all agree he has upped SU's recruiting game which is more than Hackett did for his first 3 years.

So after 60 minutes of 2013 SU football - who are you next OC candidates - not the young, inexperienced ones but the dynamic established ones that SU can pooch with $1M+ pay checks?
where did i say something even remotely close to that-
get off the high horse- mcdonald didnt do his job worth a shhit his first game

I agree. If SU was going to split these B1G games they had a much better shot vs. Penn St. They aren't FSU or Clemson so I'm not completely writing SU off for next week but they'll be double digit dogs.

I like Syracuse a lot more against NW then PSU. SU beat NW in every facet last year but special team coverage, and that seems to have been shored-up. PSU is much more stout and physical than NW (which could explain why they pasted NW last year). Syracuse matches up much, much better with NW from an athletes standpoint. I like our chances next week.

I like Syracuse a lot more against NW then PSU. SU beat NW in every facet last year but special team coverage, and that seems to have been shored-up. PSU is much more stout and physical than NW (which could explain why they pasted NW last year). Syracuse matches up much, much better with NW from an athletes standpoint. I like our chances next week.

This ... and with Coulter out I like what we can do against them. We can push their front 7 around IMHO when we have the ball ... couldn't do that against PSU.

We can push their front 7 around IMHO when we have the ball ... couldn't do that against PSU.

This is the real key. If some of those inside runs open up a bit, that should open up passing game and get some points.

The offense yesterday reminded me of the inception of Marrone's multiple offense (loosely defined as the time up until Connecticut last year). You can't throw everything into a 6-10 yard range. All teams do is drop their linebackers to that depth and clog everything up (jump crossing routes and quick to close on flanker screens). This is how Rutgers beat us each of the past two years, and how PSU dominated our offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom