What the Waze? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What the Waze?

It was really bad when I came up I81 from Tully last Friday afternoon. Bumper to bumper for at last 30 minutes.

If I were you, I would think about getting off I81 at Lafayette and coming up Lafayette Road to Brighton, then taking Ainsley Drive and coming in the back way.

Tom makes a good point about using Lafayette. If your coming up for the game and get in town early enough you could also take the scenic route and come up via Lafayette through Onondaga Hill and then either go through the Valley or the back way via Dtown. Again this is certainly a longer drive if there isn't traffic on 81 but if there is traffic you'll see almost zero with this route and can see the scenic route along with about 4 apple orchards if you have kids or just want to make a quick stop in the morning before the game.

If you aren’t using WAZE in this day and age, I’m not sure what to tell you.

It’s the best GPS app out there and it’s not even close.

Everyone should be using it, everyday, period.

I don't know I've used Google maps forever throughout the east coast without an issue. Gives updates, speed traps, alternate routes, construction slow downs etc.

It was really bad when I came up I81 from Tully last Friday afternoon. Bumper to bumper for at last 30 minutes.

If I were you, I would think about getting off I81 at Lafayette and coming up Lafayette Road to Brighton, then taking Ainsley Drive and coming in the back way.
That stretch of 81 is a disaster. I was in a downpour last week there and I’m not sure how I wasn’t killed multiple times. I guarantee some major accidents on that stretch of road when the snow starts flying.

I’m note sure exactly what is going on with Waze, but several times this summer I’ve driven right into a massive traffic backup and Waze updates to an alternate routes seconds after I pass the last exit to avoid the traffic. It still works most of the time - but it fails me often enough to be really frustrating.
I’ve used Waze for years and do like it but it struggles updating accidents and traffic re-routes quickly. I live in Charlotte and am constantly fighting traffic so always utilizing but I’ve found Google maps to be much quicker identifying traffic issues. I tend to use a combo of both (primarily Waze due to its overall interface) but if I’m questioning whether need to re-route I’ll flip over to Google.

A couple of things...

I agree, Waze is a great app. One of the best out there. It has a bunch of features Google maps does not (accidents, police tracking speeders, bad pot holes, you name it) and the info it presents is consistently more real time and accurate. It is just the nature of how Waze gets its info. Google is good. Waze is better. But it uses more bandwidth and power and might be better suited for people who travel a ton.

Regarding Lafayette, I suggested using Lafayette Road as an alternative if you are coming up I81 from the south and see bad traffic slowdowns between Lafayette and Syracuse.

If you get off at the Lafayette exit, take the right on Route 20 towards Route 11.

You can either take Route 11 north or drive past Route 11 and take the left on to Lafayette Road not far after that.

Either will get you to Syracuse. I would recommend Lafayette Road because it will probably be the road less traveled (and it is a prettier ride, with less red lights).

Lafayette Road.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom