New Syracuse Beat Writer - Michael Cohen (Current DO writer) | Syracusefan.com

New Syracuse Beat Writer - Michael Cohen (Current DO writer)

he will continue the tradition of writers that are trying too hard to not be 'homers' and writing ridiculous articles.

Alright son...you are less qualified, have less experience, have fewer contacts but will work for half the salary.

YOU'RE HIRED!

Did the old guy leave to the NFL?

no... rahme was not retained.

i like cohen. while i wish that they didnt get rid of rahme for no reason, i have no issue with this hire.

I've only read a little of what he had written and if I can make a suggestion to him I think he needs to use less words and more content. His articles read like Clyde Frazier but without the rhyming. Besides that congrats and hope he does a great job.

Alright son...you are less qualified, have less experience, have fewer contacts but will work for half the salary.

YOU'RE HIRED!

less experience, yes... but he has been writing for either the WSJ or NYT. He has been on ESPN a few times. He has a solid base of contacts and is qualified.

Have you guys read anything he's written? I think he's quite good. This story he wrote detailing the injuries that hampered the 2011 team was especially informative and shows that he does, in fact, have good contacts within the program. I think he's a big upgrade over Nolan.

Didn't he just have an article published in the NYT? Not too shabby for a college writer.

Nothing against this kid but why the need for the hire when you had an excellent writer in Rhame? The only answer is $$$$$. Sucks

Second.

And nothing against this kid.

Nothing against this kid but why the need for the hire when you had an excellent writer in Rhame? The only answer is $$$$$. Sucks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Agree. I actually think Cohen is really talented and a good read, so this isn't a shot at him. Rahme is a consummate pro and just a really, really good beat writer. Very sad to see him go.

Nothing against this kid but why the need for the hire when you had an excellent writer in Rhame? The only answer is $$$$$. Sucks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The university can't afford to pay its coach and the local paper can't afford to pay a veteran beat writer.

But we're going to the ACC to upgrade our football program.

Ok.

The university can't afford to pay its coach and the local paper can't afford to pay a veteran beat writer.

Ok.

The Post-Standard is cutting back to 3 print issues a week (Sun - Tues - Thurs).

That's like the nBE of newspaper conferences.

The Post-Standard is cutting back to 3 print issues a week (Sun - Tues - Thurs).

That's like the nBE of newspaper conferences.
Still going to be printed 7 days a week. Only delivered to homes 3 days.

Ok.

I'm pretty sure one of those things isn't true.

There are far better writers to come out of the DO without jobs right now than Cohen. I wish him luck, but after some of the garbage he printed in the DO I'm not looking forward to it.

This kid sucks he will never be 1/10th the writer that Dave R is. He is as talented as Milli Vanilli. :bang:

Michael Cohen@Michael_Cohen13
Pleased to share that I will be continuing my coverage of Syracuse football as one of the new beat writers for @PSFootball beginning Jan. 14
Cohen is one of the new breed of sports writers.

Provocative. Controverial. Fairly clueless.

An example of his work. And one more.

I will give him credit for not being afraid to speak his mind.

Just wish they had hired someone who knows something about football. The kid is smart...hopefully he can learn on the job and focus more on substance than style in the future.

BTW, I thought Nolan was the beat writer and Dave was the analyst. If Cohen is right about his title, I think he is replacing Nolan. I think that he will eventually end up replacing Bud as the sports columnist for the PS.

Still hoping against all hope that the paper realizes the need for a great analyst, understands that Rahme is one of the best assets it has and acts accordingly.