New Top 25 - hopefully the media gets off the BE's back | Syracusefan.com

New Top 25 - hopefully the media gets off the BE's back

It won't. The only way to do that, is we need some big wins. Like Cincy winning @Tenn, or WVU beating LSU, or SU winning @USC. Start doing some of those, and not getting blown out in the others, and we'll start gaining respect.

Only the ACC can lose non-conference games and still get unwarranted respect.

Pretty much. And USF's win on the road over top 20 Notre Dame is being dismissed as "Notre Dame gave it away" as opposed to USF won it. It will take time to get that stigma reversed.

Duke lost to Richmond...third year in a row the ACC laid an egg to a 1AA.

The ACC has FSU and Virginia Tech and having those 2 anchors saves them from a lot of criticism because people love the top teams. Deserving or not, that's the way it is, just look how over ranked FSU is at #5 or 6 as proof.

Anytime we find ourselves on equal footing with the ACC and Mountain West football powers, we're flexing our muscles as a football conference.:D

Don't forget the Pac-12 :p

It won't. The only way to do that, is we need some big wins. Like Cincy winning @Tenn, or WVU beating LSU, or SU winning @USC. Start doing some of those, and not getting blown out in the others, and we'll start gaining respect.

The fun part in this will be to see if all these teams get ranked higher the week before said opponents so they can boast another win vs a "top 25" team. Usually how the pollsters do it to justify ranking those other teams so high and/or keeping them there.

The fun part in this will be to see if all these teams get ranked higher the week before said opponents so they can boast another win vs a "top 25" team. Usually how the pollsters do it to justify ranking those other teams so high and/or keeping them there.
And thus the flaw in the poll system

And thus the flaw in the poll system
Thus the reason why I despise preseason rankings. Everyone should start out even, then take a look after week 1 and see where they should be ranked. How many $EC teams were ranked top 25 preseason? How many looked deserving week 1? Hell, I like UGA and there is no way they should've been ranked preseason after the 6-7 year they had BUT they are SEC and were playing Boise sooooo...

Thus the reason why I despise preseason rankings. Everyone should start out even, then take a look after week 1 and see where they should be ranked. How many $EC teams were ranked top 25 preseason? How many looked deserving week 1? Hell, I like UGA and there is no way they should've been ranked preseason after the 6-7 year they had BUT they are SEC and were playing Boise sooooo...
Amen brother.

As to the title of this thread... no, I don't think anyone's getting off of the BE's back because we have two teams ranked in the upper-reaches of the top 25.

This conference desperately needs a marquee, top 10 team.

Desperately.

Well, Kornheiser ripped the BE on PTI tonight so it looks like more marquee wins are needed for the media to get off the BE's back.

Well, Kornheiser ripped the BE on PTI tonight so it looks like more marquee wins are needed for the media to get off the BE's back.

saw that, they were talking about the ND and USF game and at the end Tony threw in how USF was a "mediocre team in a weak/crappy conference"

saw that, they were talking about the ND and USF game and at the end Tony threw in how USF was a "mediocre team in a weak/crappy conference"

Not that I think anyone takes what Kornheiser says seriously, but dont teams from our "mediocre" conference on Notre Dame pretty regularly?

Not that I think anyone takes what Kornheiser says seriously, but dont teams from our "mediocre" conference on Notre Dame pretty regularly?

Great point.

And not that I'm some USF defender, but that program in its short history has won at Florida State, at Auburn, at ND. Beat Miami at home.

And not that I'm some USF defender, but that program in its short history has won at Florida State, at Auburn, at ND. Beat Miami at home.

Also a great point. In the polls perception is reality. In reality the BE teams are alot tougher than they are given credit for and are getting better as coaches get settled. We (the conference) need a couple more marquee wins with no What losses OOC and it will start to get better. Maybe 4ish teams hanging around the top 25 by the time conference play rolls around. End the season with a few ranked and the perception will change because next year I truly believe there will be alot of BE teams that noone will be looking forward to playing. A few may even start the season ranked. It's a process, hopefully we're able to help lead the charge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom