Class of 2021 - New Transfer: Nick Caccamo (Harborfields/Yale) Defense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 New Transfer: Nick Caccamo (Harborfields/Yale) Defense

He is more of an Offenisve mid than a Defensive mid, can't imagine that happens. Some of these kids need to step up. Anybody have any inside info? Kids like Owen Hull, Tommy Drago, Caden Kol were all top 100 guys I believe... are they performing well in practice?

Drago got a shoutout from Desko in the fall, but it looks like he's being redshirted. I also think he's a LSM, not a close defender. I kind of feel like this group of freshmen and next year's recruiting class is built primarily around the LSM position, and not close. I think Frankie Hapney, Caden Kol, Drago and Kyle Gonsiorek are all LSMs and I think they are the higher rated recruits. Maybe if they step up, and Landon Clary returns healthy, moving Kennedy back to close would work.

I think Avilies would be needed at SSDM next year which would prohibit him from getting a long stick. Interesting that Saam Olexo got so much playing time last week against Duke. Was it me or did he take minutes from Shaffer Woody? To me it looked like he struggled a bit, got beat by Charlie O'Conner from Duke for a goal, then Wykoff slid to his man late in the fourth, leaving Sowers open for the game winning goal. Wykoff probably gets more of the blame for that, but it didn't look like he trusted his teammate there. Desko did have good things to say about him in the press conference this week, so maybe we'll see some improvement.

Drago got a shoutout from Desko in the fall, but it looks like he's being redshirted. I also think he's a LSM, not a close defender. I kind of feel like this group of freshmen and next year's recruiting class is built primarily around the LSM position, and not close. I think Frankie Hapney, Caden Kol, Drago and Kyle Gonsiorek are all LSMs and I think they are the higher rated recruits. Maybe if they step up, and Landon Clary returns healthy, moving Kennedy back to close would work.

I think Avilies would be needed at SSDM next year which would prohibit him from getting a long stick. Interesting that Saam Olexo got so much playing time last week against Duke. Was it me or did he take minutes from Shaffer Woody? To me it looked like he struggled a bit, got beat by Charlie O'Conner from Duke for a goal, then Wykoff slid to his man late in the fourth, leaving Sowers open for the game winning goal. Wykoff probably gets more of the blame for that, but it didn't look like he trusted his teammate there. Desko did have good things to say about him in the press conference this week, so maybe we'll see some improvement.
I was high on Olexo coming out of HS. He looks like a typical Syracuse defenseman in his HS highlights. Good size, physical, mean, good stick, good on ground balls. I'm happy to see him get some time, especially at a position of need. SU's top 3 SSDMs are good, but there needs to be depth. Early in the season is the time to get them time. Barlow was SSDM until Clary's injury, so that forced the coaches to look to the bench more.

Olexo has shown he likes to scrap for ground balls. I wonder if that was part of the coaches' thinking for getting him more time.

Who we get back next year is also a total mystery. Along with Wycoff leaving, Murphy has been with the program for 4 years and Kennedy and DePietro are already on their 5th year (both have a traditional redshirt year under their belts). We could fall victim to some major turnover which would be problematic. Would imagine either DePietro or Kennedy leave. Hopefully not both. Fortunately Clary looked like a fantastic piece before his injury. He could probably play close if needed. Slightly short but quite strong and fast. I imagine one of the reasons we reached out to Caccamo is the possibility of that major turnover. I hope at least one guy from the current starting longpoles/LSM comes back next year.

My question about Aviles was facetious. I think Clary can be a very good pole. Good enough to play LSM or close perhaps. Kennedy may have to go back to close. Aviles seems essential at ssdm. He may be one of the better d middies by the end of his career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom