New transfer rule eliminates permission-to-contact process | Syracusefan.com

New transfer rule eliminates permission-to-contact process

The era of D-1 free agency begins. I think the risk is that transfers will explode and G5/MAC, BE,etc. will become development (farm) teams for P5 programs. Either way, I hope we find a way to benefit from the new system.

Last edited:
The era of D-1 free agency begins. I think the risk is that transfers will explode and G5, MAC and BE will become development (farm) teams for P5 programs. Either way, I hope we find a way to benefit from the new system.
Kids decide to transfer without asking or talking to coach. PNG? Cut off from training room etc?

The era of D-1 free agency begins. I think the risk is that transfers will explode and G5, MAC and BE will become development (farm) teams for P5 programs. Either way, I hope we find a way to benefit from the new system.

Still have to sit a year

And to make matters worse, transfer decisions frequently come at the end of the playing season after the recruiting cycle is over. The late signing date is in May ... we got lucky this year but in future years this could really make roster decisions chaotic and leave teams in the lurch.

so you are saying that the NCAA will enact a rule that will eventually screw over a majority of their constituants

ponderous

True. And that may benefit developmental players. But transferring without even talking to your coach?

It doesn't mean they won't have conversations with their coach - the coach just cannot block it anymore.

It doesn't mean they won't have conversations with their coach - the coach just cannot block it anymore.
They just have to inform the "school" and the school has to add their name to the transfer database.

They just have to inform the "school" and the school has to add their name to the transfer database.

I'm sure there will be some that just up and leave - but kids will still inform their coach that they are going to be transferring. The DOFO will then put the kids name into the NCAA database. He's not going to tell the Chancellor he's transferring

I'm sure there will be some that just up and leave - but kids will still inform their coach that they are going to be transferring. The DOFO will then put the kids name into the NCAA database. He's not going to tell the Chancellor he's transferring
Well the kids choose who they tell. I imagine it will depend on the kid - hopefully most will be responsible. It really doesn't matter that much b/c the coaches will find out one way or another. It just seems a little strange to take the coach out of it, although some (a few) coaches brought this on by blocking kids from certain schools (like UM did to us).

Well the kids choose who they tell. I imagine it will depend on the kid. It just seems a little strange to take the coach out of it, although some (a few) coaches brought this on by blocking kids from certain schools (like UM did to us).

All going to depend on each individual but players coaches (like Dino, PJ Fleck, Frost, etc) I feel most players would tell them directly. Again - depends on each situation - but I still believe 95% of players will be telling their coaching staffs directly

NCAA announces new transfer rules; adjusts eligibility policy for football - ACCSports.com

"This new system, which will take effect on Oct. 15, will allow athletes to inform their current school of their desired interest to transfer out. After that, the current schools must enter his or her name into a national transfer database — within two business days. According to the NCAA: “Once the student-athlete’s name is in the database, other coaches are free to contact that individual.”
The upshot here: this new legislation repeals an NCAA-wide rule that enabled schools to roadblock athletes from transferring. It improves freedom of movement for players.
In the past, athletes could be prevented by their current athletic department to receive scholarships at other schools.
Here’s the catch, though: this new rule is a nation rule, but that doesn’t mean it’s a catch-all. As the NCAA notes in it’s release: “Conferences, however, still can make rules that are more restrictive than the national rule.” Each league can still set up its own permission-to-contact rules.

Here’s the catch, though: this new rule is a nation rule, but that doesn’t mean it’s a catch-all. As the NCAA notes in it’s release: “Conferences, however, still can make rules that are more restrictive than the national rule.” Each league can still set up its own permission-to-contact rules.
Expect to see conference rules that prevent direct intra-conference transfers.

Does the new rule also apply to graduate transfers? E.g. can schools still block some of their destinations?

Expect to see conference rules that prevent direct intra-conference transfers.

Does the new rule also apply to graduate transfers? E.g. can schools still block some of their destinations?
I think it applies to any transfer. The improvement is that the player, after notifying the school of his decision to transfer, has his name placed in a database. This will make it easier for both the player and a school to make contact.

In general, I like this change. I always thought it was stupid that coaches could block kids from certain schools. I'm sure coaches will find ways to make this change messy though.

I never understood the conference rule of not transferring. If the player is a superstar, why not let him stay in the ACC? Bowl $ in this situation along with being drafted helps the conference overall along with the obvious better talent.

I never understood the conference rule of not transferring. If the player is a superstar, why not let him stay in the ACC? Bowl $ in this situation along with being drafted helps the conference overall along with the obvious better talent.

You're OK with Syracuse being a farm team for FSU and Clemson?

Dino does all the legwork on a recruit, and if the kid becomes a stud, you want to lose him to a competitor?

Would you be OK if Oshea Brissett was playing for Duke or UNC this season?

You mean next season. He’d still have to sit out a year. ;)

At least you didn’t mention Yukon and Georgetown Still Sucks. :)

You're OK with Syracuse being a farm team for FSU and Clemson?

Dino does all the legwork on a recruit, and if the kid becomes a stud, you want to lose him to a competitor?

Sure, if that's where the kid wants to go to school.

I think basketball’s Taurean Thompson implemented those new rules over a year ago. He just didn’t need any portal.

I think basketball’s Taurean Thompson implemented those new rules over a year ago. He just didn’t need any portal.

He had a spot-to-spot transporter apparently. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom