New Transfer Windows | Syracusefan.com

New Transfer Windows

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

College athletes in all sports will continue to be immediately eligible the first time they transfer, provided they notify their schools in writing during designated notification-of-transfer windows (as determined by their sport.)

The board adopted the following notification-of-transfer windows:

• Fall sports: a 45-day window beginning the day after championships selections are made in their sport, or May 1-15.
    • Reasonable accommodations will be made for participants in the Football Bowl Subdivision and Football Championship Subdivision championship games.
  • Winter sports: a 60-day window beginning the day after championships selections are made in the sport.
  • Spring sports: Dec. 1-15, or a 45-day window beginning the day after selections are made in the sport.
The legislation also establishes exceptions to the new windows for student-athletes who experience head coach changes or have athletics aid reduced, canceled or not renewed.

The board also adopted new, more specific standards for immediate eligibility waivers for student-athletes who do not otherwise meet the one-time transfer exception, focusing on student-athlete well-being or circumstances outside the student-athlete's control.

The board opted not to enact a new exception to the transfer rules that would allow student-athletes to transfer multiple times and be immediately eligible if they meet progress-toward-degree requirements at their new school. However, the board remains committed to continuing to study the impact of the new transfer rules in both the short and long term.

So what does this do in instances where a player stops playing mid season?

So what does this do in instances where a player stops playing mid season?

Other schools can't contact him until he officially enters the portal in December.

If somebody quits after 4 games, he'll be in a dead zone. Everyone will know he wants to transfer, but no one can reach out.

Other schools can't contact him until he officially enters the portal in December.

If somebody quits after 4 games, he'll be in a dead zone. Everyone will know he wants to transfer, but no one can (legally) reach out.

FIFY.

You know that backchannel discussions will absolutely be taking place.
HS coaches, personal trainers, boosters, whatever will be putting feelers out.

If somebody quits after 4 games, he'll be in a dead zone. Everyone will know he wants to transfer, but no one can reach out.
Does he retain his scholarship? Can he still practice? Does he still have to take classes? Does he have to return any NIL monies? Can a team use his scholarship and give it to a walk on to reward him for his hard work and dedication?

I know you don’t really know the answers to all of these. I am just pointing out the potholes in the road to Portal “fairness.”

Does he retain his scholarship? Can he still practice? Does he still have to take classes? Does he have to return any NIL monies? Can a team use his scholarship and give it to a walk on to reward him for his hard work and dedication?

I know you don’t really know the answers to all of these. I am just pointing out the potholes in the road to Portal “fairness.”

Def not return on NIL money

That is being paid for their Name, Image and Likeness

Not them playing for the school, NIL money can not be dependent on them playing for whatever team

I think this is better.

Although we wouldn't have been able to snag Shrader as early as we did.

Good Questions. And I don't have all the answers either

I don't think many of these issues are potholes at all. If a player decides he doesn't want to play anymore mid season, and is going to wait to enter the transfer portal in December, the scholarship may still need to be honored for the remainder of the season.

However, I'm not sure how many players would actually decide to do this knowing that it will hurt their chances to be picked up in the portal later (coaches aren't really looking for players that quit mid year).
Quitting mid year also means compromising your football conditioning that season. This also makes players less attractive targets

These are just my thoughts

Football transfer windows​

The Council voted to move the spring notification-of-transfer windows in both Football Bowl Subdivision and Football Championship Subdivision football to April 15-30, rather than May 1-15.

The Football Oversight Committee proposed the change to allow participation discussions to occur at the conclusion of spring football, while also providing football student-athletes with more time to go through the transfer process and arrive at a new school before the start of summer activities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom